• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Listen to the whole thing. You can pull the negative out of it sure. There is some positive.
    It is a start gentlemen.

I listened to the whole thing. He exhibits some common sense, which is a good thing.

I don't have issue with how the termed it. If rioting and looting makes the powers at be take notice of your legitimate concerns, and mobilizes those of like mind, it should be considered an legitimate, albeit illegal, form of protest. However the bar should be extremely high in choosing to do so, and all other avenues exhausted.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Harming and stealing from innocent people is wrong. Even if you think it will advance your 'cause'.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. Harming and stealing from innocent people is wrong. Even if you think it will advance your 'cause'.

Per the definition I previously stated; Boston Tea Party seem like one of those times looting or rioting or both was acceptable.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Per the definition I previously stated; Boston Tea Party seem like one of those times looting or rioting or both was acceptable.

The owners of that property and the British government were not 'innocent' in the conflict that sparked the Boston Tea Party. They were heavily involved.

This is a far cry from burning down the local CVS because of the actions of police officers.

The distinction is not whether or not it 'accomplishes' something. The distinction is that the response is directed towards the correct people.

While I agree with his general common sense, I think something ought to be said for the general immorality of hurting people who have no part in the actions that you're rioting over.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The owners of that property and the British government were not 'innocent' in the conflict that sparked the Boston Tea Party. They were heavily involved.

This is a far cry from burning down the local CVS because of the actions of police officers.

The distinction is not whether or not it 'accomplishes' something. The distinction is that the response is directed towards the correct people.

While I agree with his general common sense, I think something ought to be said for the general immorality of hurting people who have no part in the actions that you're rioting over.

I'm not making the comparison to Baltimore to the Boston Tea Party. I'm proving to you that there ARE situations in which looting and rioting could be seen as justified.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    I don't have issue with how the termed it. If rioting and looting makes the powers at be take notice of your legitimate concerns, and mobilizes those of like mind, it should be considered an legitimate, albeit illegal, form of protest. However the bar should be extremely high in choosing to do so, and all other avenues exhausted.

I agree (dang, you beat me to the Boston Tea Party example). However, in the case of rioting and looting in these poor urban communities, that is the one thing that we know DOES NOT work. By work, I mean actually improving the community.

After the 1968 riots, there was no massive reinvestment campaign for those burned down communities. In fact, were are approaching the 50th anniversary of the 1968 riots and there are STILL buildings on the west side of Chicago, in Detroit, and in Baltimore that were burned out during the riots and NEVER repaired or torn down. The hollowed out shells remain as a stark reminder of the self-defeating effects of rioting and looting. The only thing those riots did for those communities was to accelerate the flow of capital and talent from those neighborhoods into other areas of the city and suburbs. I predict that the same thing will happen to West Baltimore and Ferguson.

Now, peaceful protests, community organization, and "get out the vote" campaigns on the other hand seem to be much more effective in bringing about some positive changes in those communities.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree (dang, you beat me to the Boston Tea Party example). However, in the case of rioting and looting in these poor urban communities, that is the one thing that we know DOES NOT work. By work, I mean actually improving the community.

After the 1968 riots, there was no massive reinvestment campaign for those burned down communities. In fact, were are approaching the 50th anniversary of the 1968 riots and there are STILL buildings on the west side of Chicago, in Detroit, and in Baltimore that were burned out during the riots and NEVER repaired or torn down. The hollowed out shells remain as a stark reminder of the self-defeating effects of rioting and looting. The only thing those riots did for those communities was to accelerate the flow of capital and talent from those neighborhoods into other areas of the city and suburbs. I predict that the same thing will happen to West Baltimore and Ferguson.

Now, peaceful protests, community organization, and "get out the vote" campaigns on the other hand seem to be much more effective in bringing about some positive changes in those communities.

Indeed MUCH more effective. Like I said all other avenues mush be exhausted before resorting to rioting. And this must be stated. "Justified" does not always mean "right." The Russians were "justified" in pillaging the German lands when they turned the tide, but I would be hard pressed to say their actions, collectively, were "right."

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

We've heard "The Boston Tea Party" meme before. I suspect that sort of action is what he may have had in mind; he certainly brought it to my mind.

Top Bottom