• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bl@zed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Hope, IN
    I figured I would make my first post. I saw the Seymour pd is giving a free saftey class on April 20th and sometime in may. You can contact them for more info. I know there is a background check and you have to bring 200 rounds of ammo (no reloads) and your own gun.

ihammond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Millhousen
    Thats great that they are offering a trianing class like that. Who or where do i call to get more info? I would feel better if my girlfriend was to take a class before she starts carrying a handgun. She knows how to handle one safely but to hear it from someone other than me would be good.

Bl@zed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Hope, IN
    Contact info

Seymour Police Department
    812-522-1234 ask for Bill Abbott

I copied and pasted the rules below:
    Must be 21 years of age, and able to pass the criminal history check.
    Must possess an Indiana handgun permit, (personal protection or target/hunting)
    or be exempt by 35-47-2-2. If you do NOT have a permit please call ahead and
    speak with Chief Bill Abbott, 812-522-1234
    Every person must bring a legal, modern handgun that will pass the instructors
    inspection for safety and reliability. Calibers which will be accepted are, .380,
    38 special, 357 magnum, 38 super, 9mm, 40 Smith & Wesson, 45 ACP.
    (NOTE: ANY OTHER CALIBERS MUST BE APPROVED PRIOR TO THE
    START OF THE COURSE)
    Every person shall bring 200 rounds of new manufacture ammunition for the
    above handgun, which is also subject to inspection by the instructor.
    It is recommended that you have a holster for your handgun capable of being
    affixed to the belt. NO cross draw or shoulder holsters allowed.
    Every person must wear eye and ear protection at all times while on the range.
    (Ear plugs or muffs and safety glasses) If you have any questions on acceptable
    wear, please call before course starts.
    The rules of the classroom and range will be strictly enforced. Any violations may
    result in the student being dismissed from the course.
    FOR FURTHER INFORMATION REGARDING THIS COURSE CONTACT
    CHIEF BILL ABBOTT AT 522-1234

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Chief Abbott is an avid shooter. I am very happy to see his department offering this opportunity.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    As an Instructor, I view such classes as 'unfair competition', as the PD certainly has more resources (read $$$) than I do personally, and the training personnel would be getting paid, regardless of the cost to the students.

THAT said, I absolutely and positively agree with Seymour PD holding such a class and strongly encourage MORE Departments to take this upon themselves. Not just in Indiana, but in ALL 50 States.

I much prefer seeing people receiving good and proper training. Especially as more and more people obtain an LTCH or CCW or whatever it is for their State. And, as we're well aware, this IS an uptrend.

To this end, to the extent I can, I do my best to insure people get trained, even if they're tight on their budgets. While I'm NOT doing so for people who are just trying to be 'cheap', I will work with folks that truly have a financial crunch. Been there, done that.

I want people to protect themselves in whatever manner THEY believe appropriate. If that means carrying a gun, then it's an imperative to be properly trained with it. Particularly so for those who were never in the military, etc. or received minimalistic training with handguns.

While I DO see it as 'unfair competition', I view Seymour PD's action of civilian training as a 100%+ positive. I hope that concept is adapted throughout the LE community.

:yesway: BIG thumbs up for Seymour PD! :yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That's great, but why are they running background checks?

I would assume liability. Could you imagine the fallout if SPD provided training to an improper person? My only suggestion would be that they need to update the application. Recent changes in state law allows people to transport handguns to the range without an LTCH.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    ModernGunner I agree that SPD is doing a great thing. But I am sure that providing this program does incur some cost on the part of the department. I don't know but my guess is that the officers doing the training are volunteering their time. Columbus PD has a similar program and there is a small fee to attend.

Trust me there is enough interest in basic firearms training right now to keep all of us busy. Hopefully what will happen going forward is that introductory and safety oriented classes will become more accessible and affordable.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ModernGunner I agree that SPD is doing a great thing. But I am sure that providing this program does incur some cost on the part of the department. I don't know but my guess is that the officers doing the training are volunteering their time. Columbus PD has a similar program and there is a small fee to attend.

Trust me there is enough interest in basic firearms training right now to keep all of us busy. Hopefully what will happen going forward is that introductory and safety oriented classes will become more accessible and affordable.

Understand and agree, Vert. "...keep all of us busy"? Not YET! I wanna be the MOST busier-est" guy in the State, LOL. I wanna be so busy YOU get tired! :D

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I spent some time on the range and in FoF scenarios with some Seymour PD officers when they have hosted Tactical Response in the past. I met the chief and he participated in the FoF class. I assume it is the same guy. I appreciated him hosting TR then and I appreciate him making this class possible. Initiatives like this make people in his community safer.

I believe their training lead or coordinator (not sure of his title) is or was a member of this forum. If you are still around, good on you guys for providing this.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I would assume liability. Could you imagine the fallout if SPD provided training to an improper person?

Exactly! How much egg would be on their face if it turned out some most wanted fugitive or some guy with a restraining order was trained by the police right before he went over to his wife's house and killed her. Ouch.

Everything is liability these days.

Interpon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    So to all those who want business...

Where to go locally like indy?? Or north like fishers and noblesville? That you can shoot as well? With a paid trainer?? I would be happy to buy some time with an expert but cant find..even googled...yes i know training formally but want to shoot aswell...

Couple paid hours shooting is hard to find apparently???

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

Where to go locally like indy?? Or north like fishers and noblesville? That you can shoot as well? With a paid trainer?? I would be happy to buy some time with an expert but cant find..even googled...yes i know training formally but want to shoot aswell...

Many of the posts in this sub forum are ads for training classes or private instruction. What do you want to learn?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Indy Gun Safety
    Tactical Firearms Training
    IndyPistolTraining
    Train to be Safe
    Adaptive Consulting and Training
    Bright Firearms Training

There you go six off the top of my head. I have met most of the trainers at one time or another and they are all good guys.

GreatLakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Seymour PD is one of the BEST department's in the state - great training, great citizen interaction. If only we could transplant them to Fort Wayne where we have the WORST, most anti-gun, anti-citizen Chief of Police in the State. Great Job and great example Seymour PD, once again!

Top Bottom