• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I did a fairly extensive interview about this with Jake Miller of Fox59 this afternoon out at Eagle Creek. It should air during the Fox59 News tonight - although I'm not sure when. (Jake filmed some teasers for it that will be on earlier and should indicate when it will be shown.)

Guy

Edit: Story will air at 6:08.

Any nibbles yet, Guy?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Seemed really well done by all involved. It seemed like the head of the teachers union was even for it, but didn't want to come out and say it.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Would liability exposure be too great to the school systems for this to work? They do not have the level of protection from civil suits as duly sworn police officers would have.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Would liability exposure be too great to the school systems for this to work? They do not have the level of protection from civil suits as duly sworn police officers would have.

That is a very important point. There is an immunity provision in the Indiana self-defense statute, "No person shall be held in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever" in the event they justifiably use force in self defense or the defense of others - not as good as tort claims immunity for LEOs, but not bad.

Guy

Pitbullguy81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    South Bend
    A friend of mine is a custodian at a high school here in South Bend but he lives in Niles, MI. Would he qualify for the training if he gets his carry license in MI?

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville

Do the school systems have liability if some nut job comes in and kills kids? Is the school system taking every measure possible to protect the children they are responsible for while at school?

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Doh! I forgot to set my DVR to record! I checked Fox 59's website but didn't find the interview there. If this becomes available online could someone please post it?

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Do the school systems have liability if some nut job comes in and kills kids? Is the school system taking every measure possible to protect the children they are responsible for while at school?

That is where the problem lies. If the school system trains, arms and deploys a employee in the role of armed guard, there is an expectation of the role of protector to be successfully executed in a crisis. But, if someone dies due to a accidental shooting or the guard not successfully acting to a armed threat then I would think this is where the civil liability lies for the school system.
    On the other hand there is a reasonable expectation of safely attending school without being shot but if it happens, no implied extra level of protection, less civil liability.
    The police on the other hand enjoy some immunity to civil liability in the event things go badly.
    The Sandy Hook school did everything right to protect the kids, I see no fault or liability there. I am not an attorney, this is only my layman's spin on the equation.:twocents:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    That is where the problem lies. If the school system trains, arms and deploys a employee in the role of armed guard, there is an expectation of the role of protector to be successfully executed in a crisis. But, if someone dies due to a accidental shooting or the guard not successfully acting to a armed threat then I would think this is where the civil liability lies for the school system.
    On the other hand there is a reasonable expectation of safely attending school without being shot but if it does, no implied extra level of protection, less civil liability.
    The police on the other hand enjoy some immunity to civil liability in the event things go badly.
    The Sandy Hook school did everything right to protect the kids, I see no fault or liability there. I am not an attorney, this is only my layman's spin on the equation.:twocents:
    Who said anything about the school training the person?

The school is no more liable for a person exercising their rights than a movie theater would be.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Where I grew up must have been rougher then I remember. I graduated in '92 and all through middle and high school we had armed police officers and K9 in the buildings full time. I also took a gun safety class as part of my curriculum. On any given day I'm certain there were multiple students and teachers cars that had either a rifle or shotgun in it. Never had a incident of anyone being shot. Perhaps because they might shoot back. It saddens me to see the levels we've sank to.

Top Bottom