• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    With the increasing popularity of places like DoorDash and Uber Eats, etc., don't be fooled by their claims of "free" or "discounted" deliveries. For example, I got this in my email today from Arbys. Free delivery with a $10 or more order:

1726692292107.png

So I thought I'd give it a try today. First, when you click through, it takes you to the Arby's website, but then when you "Start Delivery Order", you're redirected to another site (I think it was Door Dash). Added the items I wanted to my bag - 1 Double Beef 'n Cheddar, 1 Regular Roast Beef, and a small strawberry shake.

1726692655752.png

Now, same order, but placed directly on Arby's site, for carry out.

1726692936168.png

And the same order, placed with Door Dash as a Dash Pass Member:

1726693259520.png

So as you can see, choosing "Free Delivery" from Arby's is the most expensive way to get your order. I've seen similar results with other restaurants. Caveat Emptor!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    With the increasing popularity of places like DoorDash and Uber Eats, etc., don't be fooled by their claims of "free" or "discounted" deliveries. For example, I got this in my email today from Arbys. Free delivery with a $10 or more order:

View attachment 381077

So I thought I'd give it a try today. First, when you click through, it takes you to the Arby's website, but then when you "Start Delivery Order", you're redirected to another site (I think it was Door Dash). Added the items I wanted to my bag - 1 Double Beef 'n Cheddar, 1 Regular Roast Beef, and a small strawberry shake.

View attachment 381078

View attachment 381083

View attachment 381085

So as you can see, choosing "Free Delivery" from Arby's is the most expensive way to get your order. I've seen similar results with other restaurants. Caveat Emptor!
    Not too surprising, as DoorDash charges a fee to the restaurants. Many restaurants charge a higher price on DoorDash to help offset that fee.

You gotta move DoggyDaddy. In the sticks, food delivery isn't a thing (not even pizza). It really helps reduce spending LOL.

I'm assuming it's an across the board increase, 15-25% per item (someone's gotta pay for that convenience)!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not too surprising, as DoorDash charges a fee to the restaurants. Many restaurants charge a higher price on DoorDash to help offset that fee.

You gotta move DoggyDaddy. In the sticks, food delivery isn't a thing (not even pizza). It really helps reduce spending LOL.

I'm assuming it's an across the board increase, 15-25% per item (someone's gotta pay for that convenience)!
    I usually get carryout (except pizza places that do their own delivery), but since I was working from home today I thought I'd try their offer. Ended up going to pick it up myself. But yes, the menu prices are higher on the delivery service's website.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

View attachment 381077

View attachment 381078

View attachment 381083

View attachment 381085

I'm told this is to be the new normal, not just with food delivery but with pricing in general. They'll be changing prices digitally, by the minute depending on data gathered via all means of surveillance, processed by AI and calculated for maximum profit.

It's all good though, I'm also told it'll be to the consumer's benefit so we should welcome it. It'll be really fun once the full 1984 level infrastructure is in place and the stores will identify you before you walk in the door via license plate reading cameras linked to the state database and facial recognition cameras. Then they can charge you based on your social credit score, the color of your skin or whether you worship the religion of woke. Maybe even deny you that ice cream you like so much because your HIPPA protected medical data was "leaked" and since you're a tad overweight and have that pesky blood pressure issue, just go for the apples instead, they'll probably even give you a better price on them.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I think my love for Arbys is pretty well known here, but still, I ain’t spending $20, even $15 to eat there. My wife has the arbys app and uses it to order, then goes and picks it up since it’s close to her office, occasionally, she’ll bring it home for dinner, but only when they have some offer on the app that makes it a reasonable choice.

If I’m gonna spend $15 or more, I’ll go to a sit down restaurant.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If I'm hungry I either make food or I go pick it up, I don't even have pizza delivered. I've never used a food delivery service. I don't work out of an office anymore but when I did, if I was too busy to go pick up lunch/dinner, I just skipped it as I was too busy to be hungry ;). Seems lazy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If I'm hungry I either make food or I go pick it up, I don't even have pizza delivered. I've never used a food delivery service. I don't work out of an office anymore but when I did, if I was too busy to go pick up lunch/dinner, I just skipped it as I was too busy to be hungry ;). Seems lazy.
    I've never had food delivered other than a pizza and that was probably over 20 years ago.

If I'm eating restaurant food, I'm going to do it in a restaurant, or rarely, pick it up. That's just my preference.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Nothing is every really “free”.

I’ve seen a pretty good one recently when looking at some ammo from a couple different vendors. If you buy it by the case it’s “free shipping” but when you figure the actual cost per round it’s higher than smaller quantities. So for example , 600 rounds might be $300 plus shipping but 1200 rounds is advertised “free shipping “ but it’s $640 for the case.

Bleachey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2019
    Petersburg
    I don't consider it lazy if a person decides spending a few dollars extra to get food delivered is worth their time.
    Considering it would take at least 15 minutes to go pick up food in a best case scenario, spending 6 bucks in the example could be worth it. I know what my "hourly" rate is, and it is a lot more than 4 times $6.

Now if you spend it every day I would consider it wasteful, but occasionally it could be worth what it costs. Like any service there is a cost associated with it. If I don't have the skills for a certain service, or the tools, or the time then I will pay for it.

Except changing oil. I enjoy doing it, like looking over things on the vehicles and making sure it is done properly. I hate the fact that the powertrain warranty that came with the truck I purchased in January requires it be done by a "certified facility". I am pretty sure that I do a more thorough job than some of the quick lube places that are certified. First thing I do when I get the vehicle back is make sure the oil level is correct and the drain plug/oil filter aren't weeping fluid. And I am pretty sure the filter and drain plug are over torqued, but that is a different subject.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Should we throw in "tips"? The fact t that many will not deliver if they feel you do not tip big enough!

If I want it bad enough I'll go get it, otherwise I eat the food in my house.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Should we throw in "tips"? The fact t that many will not deliver if they feel you do not tip big enough!

If I want it bad enough I'll go get it, otherwise I eat the food in my house.
    And I dont want some rando handling my food in a car that may have never seen a vacuum. Ever. its bad enough wondering what my food is exposed to in a "sanitary" inspected commercial kitchen.

And the fact that some restaurants seal the bags even when its not doordash is obnoxious. Thought I had a real roulette situation at the Mexican restaurant the other day. Got a big carry out order including the inlaws. 3 shopping bags of food.

I went in to place the order and wait, and the gent who barely spoke english wrote down the word "pollo" when I ordered my son's steak and SHRIMP fajitas. But he read back to me shrimp, not the chicken he wrote down.

So he knew, but did the kitchen? I get the food and they are tied so tightly I'd have to cut my way in to inspect. But then I couldnt carry them all, and it would take 3 trips to get the food into the house. Luckily they got it right.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    And I dont want some rando handling my food in a car that may have never seen a vacuum. Ever. its bad enough wondering what my food is exposed to in a "sanitary" inspected commercial kitchen.

And the fact that some restaurants seal the bags even when its not doordash is obnoxious. Thought I had a real roulette situation at the Mexican restaurant the other day. Got a big carry out order including the inlaws. 3 shopping bags of food.

I went in to place the order and wait, and the gent who barely spoke english wrote down the word "pollo" when I ordered my son's steak and SHRIMP fajitas. But he read back to me shrimp, not the chicken he wrote down.

So he knew, but did the kitchen? I get the food and they are tied so tightly I'd have to cut my way in to inspect. But then I couldnt carry them all, and it would take 3 trips to get the food into the house. Luckily they got it right.
    One of the mexican places close to us has servers and a manager/owner guy that seems to run the place, that can barely speak English, and don’t seem to understand it very well, but somehow, they never screw up our order! First time we went there, after the server took our order, we just looked at each other and shook our heads thinking this was gonna be a nightmare, but when the food came, everything was perfect.

I honestly don’t know how they do it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    One of the mexican places close to us has servers and a manager/owner guy that seems to run the place, that can barely speak English, and don’t seem to understand it very well, but somehow, they never screw up our order! First time we went there, after the server took our order, we just looked at each other and shook our heads thinking this was gonna be a nightmare, but when the food came, everything was perfect.

I honestly don’t know how they do it.
    The pretend so you believe it's real, you know, setting the atmosphere.....good ambiance.

Top Bottom