Fox News Poll - Amend the Second Amendment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    I also voted no, but I too think it is a misguided idea to make an amendment to "clarify" the 2nd Amendment. The 2A is perfectly clear if you understand the mindset of the founding fathers. After a long, costly revolution, against a government that for less than a hundred years had been a constitutional monarchy (monarchy prior to 1688), they understood too well how quickly benevolent government can turn into anything but.

The willingness of the royal government to attempt to subsidize their misguided wars and "global adventuring" on the backs of their fellow citizens in the colonies, demonstrates that any government can be reduced to tyrrany in a very short time.

Ours is no exception, and the Founders knew this.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    95.73% :yesway:

I also suppose we could include the 'not sure' votes because I believe it's not something to fiddle with.. between the 2 options (other than yes) I chose emphatic NO.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I agree, but you open up a Constitutional Convention for amending the 2nd it opens up all of the Constitution. We might just lose a lot more than the 2nd Amendment.

"Shall not be infringed" does not need clarification or solidifying!

We don't need a Constitutional Convention. The 18th Amendment enacted Prohibition. The 21st, ratified 14 years later, repealed it.

If they think they can garner the supermajorities necessary, let them try to repeal the 2A. I do not believe such majorities exist, and even if they did, according to (IIRC) the Cruikshank decision, the right would still exist, as it does not depend on the piece of paper under glass in Washington to do so.

Blessings,
    Bill

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I agree, but you open up a Constitutional Convention for amending the 2nd it opens up all of the Constitution. We might just lose a lot more than the 2nd Amendment.

"Shall not be infringed" does not need clarification or solidifying!

Under the guise of making it read louder or clearer it could have opened up the entire constitution to a very possible rewrite, and we all know where that could have went.

The terminology used by the founding fathers still reads as exactly what it was intended to.

Top Bottom