Found a snake in the building at work today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    "The Great Indoors"

After a brief shriek and a little commotion, we managed to wrangle the beast. Turns out he was just a little northern ring neck; not much bigger than a penny. A lady a couple cubicles up from me saw it on the floor, thought it was a rubber band, went to pick it up, and then screamed! Pretty cool little snake! I stress little.

I took a couple pictures with my iPhone...

Wikipedia Picture

Wiki page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diadophis_punctatus_edwardsii

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Photo finally came through that I emailed myself from my iPhone.

NorthernRingNeckWork.jpg

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I recently found a ring snake in our garage while sweeping it out. About the same size as the one you found. Unfortunately it was dead. At least I think it was or its really good at playing possum. It wasn't stiff or anything so it may have been giving me the run around. That was the third snake I have found in the garage this summer. Found the ring snake, a garter snake, and a rat snake. This year has been weird with snakes around where I live. All snakes were released back into the wild after some intense wrastlin"

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Wife found one of those in our yard last summer. I caught it and tried taking pics so I could figure out what it was but the pics didn't do it justice. They are cool. We also find a few of the green snakes around here. I really like snakes but my wife hates them! The only ones that get killed are the ones in our house or copper heads.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    Normally the mildly-venomous ones cause a bee-sting link reaction in humans. I keep a Western Hognose as a pet, she's mildly venomous if she eats her normal diet of frogs. She's rear-fanged so I would have to stick my finger down her throat and lift UP in order to get bitten. Since she eats rodents she's most likely completely "inert" now.

Cute snake - I never find anything fun where I work.

Apparently it's slightly poisonous and only poses a "little threat" to humans. :nailbite:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I don't like snakes because of the startle factor they cause. This little guys would have freaked me out. I've been know to do a 3 foot verticle jump from a standing still position when a snake has startled me. You would have been peeling me off the ceiling if I had tried to pick up a rubber band and it turned out to be a snake.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Normally the mildly-venomous ones cause a bee-sting link reaction in humans. I keep a Western Hognose as a pet, she's mildly venomous if she eats her normal diet of frogs. She's rear-fanged so I would have to stick my finger down her throat and lift UP in order to get bitten. Since she eats rodents she's most likely completely "inert" now.

Cute snake - I never find anything fun where I work.

For me, the word "cute" and "snake" just don't go together...I have never be fond of snakes.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have an albino corn snake. She is hunter orange with red eyes. Not a real sneaky snake.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't like snakes because of the startle factor they cause. This little guys would have freaked me out. I've been know to do a 3 foot verticle jump from a standing still position when a snake has startled me. You would have been peeling me off the ceiling if I had tried to pick up a rubber band and it turned out to be a snake.

:rofl::+1:

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    We find a lot of those at My folks place I've never seen one much bigger than that, the cat catches quite a few of them

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Oh, the ring neck is my favorite. We adopted one as a class pet back in my herp days at undergrad. That's about par for the course on size. I've seen two near my dad's in Owen County.

Top Bottom