• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I haven't been back into shooting too long so most of my shooting has been in my back yard. The only downside to that is 50yds is as far as I can safely shoot. Was at a friends house today picking up some cast bullets and he asked me why I didn't join the local sportsmans club. Guess they have 2 ranges, 25yds for pistol and 100yds for rifles. When I found out it was only $20 to join the first year I jumped at the chance. My friend told me that most of the time he uses the range there isn't anybody else there. I will have to go check it out on my days off this week. It is only a couple miles from my house so it will take longer to unlock the gates and park my car than it will to drive there.:laugh:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    That's cool Phil I ran into the same deal a year or so ago except the shooting in my backyard thing. I got lucky and managed to get accepted into the Martinsville Sportsmans club. A buddy of mine told me that everytime he goes there it is crowded with people though. I've found he's right, everytime I go there there has been at least one other member there and one time there was three getting ready to leave, and that's for a club that has about 10-12 shooting positions not counting the skeet range!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hmmmm.... I'm in Randolph Co. as well and have never heard of this. Details please.:D

My Grandfather has taken me to one just north of Union City before. I don't recall a rifle range however. . . .

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Hmmmm.... I'm in Randolph Co. as well and have never heard of this. Details please.:D

I'll give you more details after I've visited the site. I haven't been there yet. All I know it is a couple miles from my home. It is 2 miles west of Union City off SR28. My friend did tell me that he is in the process of replacing some of the steel swinging pistol targets since somebody holed them with a rifle. I do know that the entrance is gated and locked so you get the combination to the lock when you join. If I remember, I'll take my camera and get a few photos of the place. I don't expect anything fancy for a $20 yearly membership and a total of around 40 members.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It is 2 miles west of Union City off SR28.

Yeah I bet this is the one my Grandfather is a member of.

Its been several years since I was there last. At that time there was no gate at the entrance. It was fairly simple with a locked clubhouse, and a pistol range out back which consisted of a big berm of dirt about 25yds behind the clubhouse. There may have been a rifle range but I never used it or saw it.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Curious, too. Also in Randolph Co. Keep us informed, please.

I drove out to the site today. It looks to me like there is only one backstop. I didn't go inside the gates but there was a shooting bench towards the front of the property that was about 100yrds from the backstop. There are plenty of trees for shade in hot weather. I'll know more when I can actually get out there and do some shooting. Even the little I saw from the road tells me I got a pretty good investment for $20.:D The range is a little over 3 miles from my driveway. I didn't think about my camera until I was on the way home from the range.:laugh: I'll try and get some photos up on my day off(Monday) if the weather co-operates.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Thanks, sounds pretty close to me too. I am about 2 miles s of 28 but closer to 27 than U.C.

The range is on 600 east and north of SR28. I think it is less than 1/2 mile off the highway. You can't miss it if you drive by. There is a sign out front and two gated drives.

Top Bottom