• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm in the process of moving right now. Yesterday I was loading up an old dresser that had just been taking up space in my shop with plans to restore it. Planss changed so it was now destined for the burn pile. My dad and I went to flip it up on the trailer and out of the bottom falls a little pocket knife. That's cool! So I put it in my pocket and proceed to move more stuff that I had no clue why I held onto.

So this morning I was checking the knife out to see what I had actually found. Turns out it's pretty old actually. It's a E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter. Not sure how old but from what I found online the newest it cold be is 1940. It's in pretty good shape and you tell it was kept fairly sharp.

Just thought I would share since I figured a few people here are into collectable knives.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I think it might be a fingernail tool? It's got a file section on the back side of it, and it doesn't really have a sharp point like an awl. It could be way off though.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    That is a very nice example of a Keen Kutter Lobster Sleeveboard knife or Sleeveboard Lobster...I have heard this pattern called both. The third blade which is really not a blade is a pick file with a nail cleaner tip. If I remember correctly........ The crescent shield would indicate early 1940's or older. The triangular shield, some times called "The Spirit of St. Louis" shield was used later and after the crescent shield.

Very cool knife! :yesway:

Last edited:

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    That's pretty much what I found with my research. E.C. Simmons' story is a pretty cool one too. I get the sleeveboard part but why are they called a lobster knife?

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    That's pretty much what I found with my research. E.C. Simmons' story is a pretty cool one too. I get the sleeveboard part but why are they called a lobster knife?

lobster knives use a fragile single spring in the middle of the knife for all the blades. a lobster pen knife always has its pivot pins set of to the sides of the long axis of the knife-hence the resemblance of its pivoting blades to the waving claws of a lobster.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    lobster knives use a fragile single spring in the middle of the knife for all the blades. a lobster pen knife always has its pivot pins set of to the sides of the long axis of the knife-hence the resemblance of its pivoting blades to the waving claws of a lobster.

I always wondered myself about the term "lobster".......... This makes sense.

Rep Sent

Top Bottom