• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Rose bushes under windows. privet hedges around the edges of the lawn. I hear zombies don't like thorns in the feet/hands. These can be picked up cheap and can be grafted of other shrubs vines for free minus grafting dust. Lets face it you just have to be less of an easy target than others in the beginning and if you are asking questions such as this you already are less of a target.

Other things can be done later in a long term SHTF. Traps and such are illegal and should not be discussed openly. Look to old war movies and you will get ideas. A lighter and a can of hairspray would keep zombies at bay for a few minutes. Up that to a propane tank and a remote spark from the outdoor grill and you can have zombie bbq.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The real problem with fortified vehicles is that they are fortified vehicles. They are incredibly worthless pre-event, they are very conspicuous, heavy, expensive to operate, and hard to store.

What does an armored vehicle look like? If I told you I had a late model Dodge Durango Hemi with bullet proof body panels in the doors, pillars, roof, etc. would that qualify as armored? It certainly doesn't look any different than if it didn't have those things. Mine gets 22 miles to the gallon highway, will offer a lvel of protection in the event someone tries to carjack me, no more heavy than a stocker, and it fits in my garage. I don't know that I would call it worthless.

While a BOV is a good idea, it's main purpose is to be reliable, able to cross all expected terrain, and carry your long term gear to your BIL. For most people this is the SUV that they drive every day.

Agreed.

When you start up armoring vehicles they become completely different animals. The more weight you add, the worse it handles, the worse it accelerates and stops. You need to add more power, bigger brakes, heavier shocks and springs. Then you have to rethink the tires, and maybe even the steering box, and the gear boxes. On top of all of this you have just welded an metric *** load of steel to your truck. Your neighbors will notice. People will question. And this is something most prepers want to avoid. Low key is key.

Again, it depends on your requirements. Mine were not to create some Mad Max-looking vehicle. My requirements were to repel small arms fire and drive away from a confrontation as quick as possible.

Now getting back to fixed fortifications. while they aren't exactly battle field practical, they are pre-event practical. IF you are building or remodeling your home, adding fortifications is not a bad idea.

Fortify a home has a cost associated with it. The cost is much much higher if for no other reason than there is more real estate to protect. Also, as soon as you step outside your fort, you're vulnerable. Someone can sit all day and watch for you. We had an old saying in the Marine Corps: if they can see you they can shoot you. Fortifying your home simply raises the bar of what is required to be effective. It will never eliminate the threat.

Going mobile reduces the threat because they (whoever they are) cannot reliably predict your movement.

Lets go back to one of my earlier posts, Monolithic Domes, These are re-enforced concrete homes. These things are weather proof; Fire, Flood,Tornado,Hurricane,Earthquake,etc. Natural Disaster is one of the big IF's that people are getting ready for.

Would it stop a 50BMG API round? I'll bet in about 10 rounds I could shoot the front door off the hinges.

If you are securing your home, and replace all the lower level glass with ballistic rated ploy-carbonite windows, and secured the doors and their frames, then you have not only built in fortifications when irradiated raider hordes come for your children, but you have secured your home from pre-event break ins.

Same question. Will it stop a 50BMG API round?

Most of this can be done without a whole lot of outward attention. People might notice during construction but not after its finished. For someone that doesn't want to draw attention this is the way to go. Furthermore most of these things could actually lower your home owners insurance. Thus saving you money so you can buy that really awesome uparmored mobile battle station.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    SemperFiUSMC, your right on Brother!! thats exactly what i was meaning by civilian armored vehicle, is something that blends in and if you walked right next to it you would never know it from a regular car. And once again I have to agree with you on the mobility thing. staying mobil and moving is living. no one can ever survive a seige, the people on the outside will always outlast you. and one more thing, if i was in my house (fortified fortress, lol) and saw a .50 cal being set up outside, my butt would be moving to the exit ASAP, because SHTF and are gona be FUBAR doubletime.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I agree that fortifying your home is not the most ideal solution in a disaster/survival situation.
    Too many ways around any defenses most people will be able to come up with.

If you're interested in a fortification for your residence, I suggest you find a school, church, or CostCo type massive retail building.
    You will probably need several friends to make that happen though. :D
    Solid (and thick!) masonry walls, limited entrances that are easily reinforced, and good visibility all around would be interesting.
    You're still going to be stuck there and will probably attract a bunch of attention, but it seems like a better idea than some.

On second thought, I would probably stay far away from your Wal-Marts and CostCo's in a SHTF situation. Very far away.

If, however, you want to get some temporary fortification added to your home, think about hollow-core steel door blanks.
    With a little prep, you can install bolts in wall studs and drill holes in the doors to quickly slip them up over windows, doors, and other vulnerable areas and simply bolt them on.
    They're easy to store, one person can carry one by themselves, and they're less costly than other methods mentioned here.

For a BOV, this is what you need:
    TIV-2: An Exclusive Look Inside The Techie Tank-Like Tornado-Chaser - Sema - Jalopnik
    TIV-2 (tornado intercept vehicle). Add some firing ports and that thing would be perfect.

Or, just find an armored car from Brinks or something.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the main thing is to keep your fall back possition a secret, even on here. I have several public places that almost NO ONE would think of that i will be riding things out at worked into my plans. like ive said before the most important thing is to plan and repeat, and then keep doing it till it becomes like brushing your teeth, or for those who dont brush their teeth, plan till it becomes like paying bills, its a b**** but you have to do it or your screwed, same thing

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I thought about keping some hog panels around and plywood or some such and making some of those hesco(sp) barriers. That would probably be the cheapest and easier way to go. I guess they would be conspicious, but with the right landscapping you might get away with such a thing.

I found the idea of mobility interesting, but I'm not really sure how that would work, but that comes from my civilian perspective. Is it really viable without a support system such as that found in the military? Can you really keep your vehicle going in an active SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation? This is not a judgement, just looking for clarification.

I think that I let my thinking in the box of the current situation keeps me from thinking outside the box in regards to caches and fall back positions. I'm a big proponet of bugging in, but I realize that it may not be reasonable in all situations, and have begun to think of alternatives and practicing E&E. I do not have a military background, and perhaps that has reduced my outlook on this situation.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Mobility is important. However you need to have a base of operations, unless you are planning on having a semi to move all your stuff around. Bugging in is not a bad idea. Just knowing when you need to cut and run are very important also. Do not get wrapped around the axle on which is the better option. Build up your position to where you can buy yourself time if nothing else. It will take time to bug out, I really doubt if anyone has a true BOV loaded, prepped, and maintained just for this purpose. Even the Military has a supply train that has to chase the Maneuver Elements. Mobility comes at a price. No one can sustain extended operations without a support base of some kind.

How long will it take to figure what the heck is going on?!
    How long will it take you to pack your kit?!
    Figure out which way is safe to travel?!
    What happens when you get to that spot that you thought know one else knew about and someone else is there?!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Ugh. Too much thought in some of these posts. To the OP, here is what I have done to help fortify my house. It is minimal and I would like some more/different items, but this is what I have and/or will have soon. I'm not talking about keeping out the mongol hoards, but *I* think it will be extremely valuable in day-to-day or even shtf situations of an individual or small group wanting my pile of twinkies and ho-hos.

3M protective sheeting over all glass doors/windows on the first floor. Nope, won't stop anyone, but it will sure slow you down big time and cause a loud noise in the process.

Steel doors with steel frame on all outdoor doors.

Electronic keypad locks on most external doors.

Motion sensor lights on back and sides of the house, front has always on lights.

I have a store of plywood and hardware to cover all ground level windows/doors.

I have several rolls of barbwire and a few dozen T-posts for the front and nails for the wood fence on the back/side.

I have LOTS of fire extinguishers of different types.

Thats my fortification! but if it gets to needing half of that hopefully I will already be GONE to the BOL. Which reminds me, I need to start getting more supplies to fortify the BOL... HUM.

Top Bottom