• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    What kind of battery backups do you use? I'm guessing something more sophisticated than an UPS unit you can buy at best buy?

So much money to spend on all this stuff, ugh, I could go buy a new gun or 3...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What kind of battery backups do you use? I'm guessing something more sophisticated than an UPS unit you can buy at best buy?

So much money to spend on all this stuff, ugh, I could go buy a new gun or 3...

The DVRs are about $350 each. Add $100 each for a Dome camera, I have multiple buildings on my property so I need a lot, but if you only need a few then only buy what you need. The IR floods are about $85, but again, I'm looking some pretty long distances across multiple driveways, etc so if you don't need them don't buy them.

As for the battery back up systems, yes, exactly the kind you buy at Best Buy.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is no door frame that can withstand a pickup ramming attack. Or a grenade or rocket or a Molotov cocktail.

Building a "grey" house I think is more desireable. Keeping a low profile.

A hidden method of egress and escape should be a priority. A position somewhere outside of the home to put rifle fire on those breaking into the home. If even just for revenge as you leave for safety.

Any fortified position can be overwhelmed. History is full of examples.

You have to stay flexible and not rely on your modern Maginot line.

It is not dishonorable to retreat to another position. It should be why you have neighbors and a backup plan.

JMHO

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Heres the IR flood I got from ebay for $38 and it works great. 263 Feet 96 LED Night Vision IR Infrared Illuminator for Security CCTV Camera | eBay

The camera system but I got four more cameras.
    Samsung SDE-4003N 8 Channel DVR Security System

I also use the same Best Buy power backup and when that goes its tied into this

http://www.kohlerpower.com/residential/category.htm?categoryNumber=13061&sectionNumber=13561

with its own seperate 600 gallon LP gas tank which was estimated to last about three months.

Not to get in a debate over the topic, I agree dome cameras are a little more bullet/baseball bat proof, well placed gimbel types are just as good. The dome kind are just a little harder to mount on odd shaped surfaces like telephone poles or trees thats are not flat. I'm mainly concerned as what is going on outside the house as my pit/lab mix has the fenced backyard covered and my black lab has the inside covered when I'm gone. And on a budget something like this works just fine. Plus if one ever did get knocked off the dvr system automatically records and saves the last image seen. They may get one or two cameras but not all.:shady:

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

REINFORCE THE DOOR FRAMES!!!

In a SHTF situation you could also use the good old cross bar on the door with the U brackets bolted into the studs. You could even extend the bar out and put additional U brackets in the studs 16" on either side. Not particularly elegant but very strong and the bar would be easily removed to exit.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not to get in a debate over the topic, I agree dome cameras are a little more bullet/baseball bat proof, well placed gimbel types are just as good. The dome kind are just a little harder to mount on odd shaped surfaces like telephone poles or trees thats are not flat...
    First, dome cameras are A LOT more baseball bat proof and some come with guarantees to withstand hits from baseball bats.

Second, its not the camera so much as the GIMBAL STYLE MOUNT that is the target of a stick. Hit a traditional camera and the camera will MOVE so you are not able to watch your intended field of view. I don't care how hard you screw down the mount's locking screws (and many cheap cameras don't even have lock set screws!) that camera will change direction, or the mount will snap apart, if stuck with a bat. That is why they must be mounted up HIGH enough to be out of reach of a bat. PROBLEM IS, when you mount cameras too high then you can't see faces! Why do you think criminals wear "hoodies" or baseball caps? They eliminate the camera's ability to get a close range shot of a face, and if you have 420TVL cameras then you already know that there is no such thing as long range identification of anyone, even people you know. Criminals know this, they also know they can change the point of aim of traditional cameras because the gimbal mount is the weak spot. Smack that camera on today and change its point of aim . . . come back a few days later to see if the camera is still moved . . . come back in another couple weeks and rob the place because the camera is still not moved and most DVRs will have lost the image of the initial attack by that point.

Third, a traditional camera has a round flat/convex plate about 3" to 4" in diameter that typically has 3 or 4 screw holes for mounting. An armored dome camera has a round plate of similar size that typically has 3 or 4 screw holes for mounting. Tell me sir how is it more difficult to mount one type of camera on a pole versus the other type of camera if both have essentially the same size/type mounting plates? (again, I have something like 18 cameras of both styles at my home and many more in my businesses and commercial buildings)

There is no door frame that can withstand a pickup ramming attack. Or a grenade or rocket or a Molotov cocktail.

Building a "grey" house I think is more desireable. Keeping a low profile.

A hidden method of egress and escape should be a priority. A position somewhere outside of the home to put rifle fire on those breaking into the home. If even just for revenge as you leave for safety.

Any fortified position can be overwhelmed. History is full of examples.

You have to stay flexible and not rely on your modern Maginot line.
    Extending your logic it makes no sense to even lock our doors.

No question that anything can be overrun by a superior force. But there is also no question that a discreet level of defense can send the casual burglar/robbers/invaders to the house NEXT DOOR that is an easier target. Criminals don't want to tear themselves up on thorn bushes climbing into your windows when the windows next door have no such barrier.

Looking at history in the world, there are VERY FEW situation where people actually flee their homes. Even in Europe in WWII most people stayed in their homes while the bombs and tanks bombarded their towns. In the recent hostilities in Iraq most people stayed in their homes. In Serbia-Hertzogovena most people stayed in their homes. In the economic unrest during the Agentenian currency collapse, which caused all sorts of unpleasantness and civil unrest, most people lived in their homes, most still had to earn some sort of living, etc.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Where do you find these? Do you know of any installers that will use them on a residence?

Republic Doors: Commercial Steel Door Manufacturer

http://www.psidoors.com/locations.htm

A few starters, I'm sure they would be more than willing to come to your residence and install them, but I'm guessing it would be pretty $$$ to get them installed. And after that you will want to make sure you have a good and strong door to back it up.

A strong storm door is another good addition.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    What about fencing? Yeah, fencing does not stop people, but it can make annother barrier to cross. My back yard is fenced. I feel it can help to make me less of a target from the back.

I had thought of doing the nail board, but attaching it to the brick window sill in one of my back windows that is the furthest from the street and most out of view from other houses. I would probably use screws, since their pointy ends are much sharper and I could pre-drill and add a ton of them. No one would see it but us, unless they were in the back yard and were looking right at it. It would be less of a liability, since you would have to be up and trying to at least mess with the window.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I believe we are coming to the point at which we discover that inconveniences are cumulative.

Rep for that! Ok well I'll hit you again after I spread it around more ;).

And yes, fences are good, I have a full dog eared cedar fence around my house. It's not going to be easy to hop a 6ft fence, now if only I'd put a lock on the gate...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

REINFORCE THE DOOR FRAMES!!!

My door frames are directly attached to the studs on the striker side and the hinges are anchored and pinned. There are plates in place around the striker holes for added strength. The draw back is swelling and shrinking in the seasons change. This summer has been so hot I had to pull the inside trim on the doors and remove some shim so the doors would work freely. We have installed heavy steel framed security doors in place of the screen doors and they are as secured to the house as possible. As stated up thread, a ramming truck or it's equivalent might overwhelm even these measures but the noise would get you some attention from the neighbors that could be your end.
    As to a chain saw cutting through, not here. I did the remodel on this house and the walls are set up for such things.
    There are pulse lights with battery backup and other un-mentioned measures.
    Nothing is perfect nor impenetrable. But you can slow them down enough so a defense can be mounted or attention drawn to them. Them being those who would do such things.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    uline.com sells empty sand bags. My plan in a SHTF situation is to fill them and put them under windows and in front of beds inside the house. Placed next to exterior walls the weight won't be an issue. A big advantage is that they can't be seen from outside. My goal isn't to make a fortress but to prevent a drive by or pop shots from getting lucky.

Just one small part of a bigger plan, just thought I'd share.

I've seen sandbags mentioned a few times...great idea...I've had the thought myself...I'm just wondering what you plan to fill them with?

I know the name implies sand, but I don't imagine you have a cubic yard of sand sitting in your yard/basement/etc. for the occasion.

Are you planning on using dirt? I know it would be tough to fill using the clay in my yard.

Am I missing something obvious?:dunno:

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    I've seen sandbags mentioned a few times...great idea...I've had the thought myself...I'm just wondering what you plan to fill them with?

I know the name implies sand, but I don't imagine you have a cubic yard of sand sitting in your yard/basement/etc. for the occasion.

Are you planning on using dirt? I know it would be tough to fill using the clay in my yard.

I got some and turned into a great dad the day that I got em for getting the kids a sand box... Lol the wife never even knew. ;) also had to get some extra bags of sand in case of cats.....

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010

Dirt.

Dirt works quite well in sand bags.

But I do live about a mile from 2 quarries with a near unlimited supply.

Damean-m44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    N.W. Indiana
    i recently moved to a two acre home. my neighbors dog kept pooping by my deck so what i did was set a trip wire connected to dj cop light thing. so next time he goes in my yard i'll know. and i also have guns(not shooting the dog). i also agree with the sand bags you never know when you will need them in case of a flood.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fortifications are monuments to the stupid" said Gen. Patton ,so right.

This is a truly excellent observation that absolutely must be taken in its original and proper context. First, most military fortifications were designed to keep an enemy out of the area behind them, not out of the fortification itself. Second, any structure can be breached by an enemy of sufficient size and determination. Third, Patton had soldiers standing watch 24/7--you do not. Patton's strategy was predicated on the notion that the best defense is a good offense. Unless you intend to start proactively shooting everyone who strikes you as a potential threat, this approach will not work.

I would not suggest that replacing your house with a structure featuring 3 foot thick steel-reinforced concrete walls with bars and/or steel shutters over every window is advisable, but on the other hand, making unauthorized entry as difficult as reasonably possible is a very, very good idea, unless you have an army to stand behind/in front of you as you channel Patton.

Top Bottom