• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Filling out my Form 4's to have the Chief sign them tomorrow and had a couple of quick questions. Passport photo: stapled? What about the packet of forms (2 Form 4's, 1 Citizenship, 2 fingerprint cards), stapled together? Paperclipped? Do they care which?

I know they sound like simple questions, but as picky as they are I'd hate to have them sent back or delayed due to some minor detail. Heck, the Citizenship form requires black ink and all capital letters.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Filling out my Form 4's to have the Chief sign them tomorrow and had a couple of quick questions. Passport photo: stapled? What about the packet of forms (2 Form 4's, 1 Citizenship, 2 fingerprint cards), stapled together? Paperclipped? Do they care which?

I know they sound like simple questions, but as picky as they are I'd hate to have them sent back or delayed due to some minor detail. Heck, the Citizenship form requires black ink and all capital letters.

Guess this is info I should have told ya. :):

I always tape my pictures on with clear scotch tape on all four sides.

I put everything in a letter sized envelope and paperclip it together with the payment on the top/front so they see it. The address in Atlanta is only to collect and deposit the payment. They then forward everything else to the NFA offices in West Virginia.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I used a glue stick for my photos and I just used a few paperclips to hold each packet together.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Guess this is info I should have told ya. :):

VUPDBlue and I have been discussing a little bit about fleshing out the NFA FAQ. The information in there is good, but it's very generalized, and for first-time NFA people like myself there really needs to be these little details in it.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    VUPDBlue and I have been discussing a little bit about fleshing out the NFA FAQ. The information in there is good, but it's very generalized, and for first-time NFA people like myself there really needs to be these little details in it.

Yea wouldn't hurt. There is no requirement for the stuff like this, but these are my suggestions based on what has worked for me in the past.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Passport photo: stapled?

I tape mine with small pieces of clear tape on all 4 sides. These need to be attached BEFORE you take them downtown and leave them for the Chief to sign. Ask me how I know... :xmad: Also, take a self-addressed stamped envelope with you, so the PD can return the Forms to you once the chief has signed them. The print cards will go back home with you once you've been printed; only the Form 4s themselves go to the chief.

What about the packet of forms (2 Form 4's, 1 Citizenship, 2 fingerprint cards), stapled together? Paperclipped? Do they care which?

When I send my stuff to the ATF, I put each fingerprint card on top of its Form, put the Citizenship Form behind those, put the check on top, and paperclip the whole stack together. Note: the correct mailing address for the Form 4 is Atlanta. BGF gave me an older version of the Form 4 by mistake; it is the same as the current version, except it has a Chicago mailing address. You might want to check yours.

HTH!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I tape mine with small pieces of clear tape on all 4 sides. These need to be attached BEFORE you take them downtown and leave them for the Chief to sign. Ask me how I know... :xmad: Also, take a self-addressed stamped envelope with you, so the PD can return the Forms to you once the chief has signed them. The print cards will go back home with you once you've been printed; only the Form 4s themselves go to the chief.

I'm hoping I don't have to leave my forms. I go to Noblesville, not Indy, and from what I understand it's pretty much a walk-in walk-out process for NFA stuff. With my LTCH paperwork a few years ago, I was able to pick it up in person and they even provided the envelopes to mail it to the ISP.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    I'm hoping I don't have to leave my forms. I go to Noblesville, not Indy, and from what I understand it's pretty much a walk-in walk-out process for NFA stuff. With my LTCH paperwork a few years ago, I was able to pick it up in person and they even provided the envelopes to mail it to the ISP.

Thats exactly how my Form 4's and Form 1's have gone, as well as my LTCH. Gotta love small towns. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had Spasmo call the NPD today to find out if they had fingerprint hours (couldn't remember from the LTCH days). She said she barely got the question out before the clerk laughed and said "Yeah, come on down any time!" Apparently, it's getting to be a common question down there! :rockwoot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    FYI: NPD turned over my paperwork in just under 24 hours. They called me this morning at 8AM and said it was ready.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    FYI: Trying to document the whole process in the NFA FAQ thread for NFA newbies. I wanted to head off the "detail" questions that I had.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it should be done with the big giant caveat that procedures, fees involved and the overall experience will vary greatly by jurisdiction.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it should be done with the big giant caveat that procedures, fees involved and the overall experience will vary greatly by jurisdiction.

Yeah, my goal was "my experiences and observations", not "here's what you need to do". It stemmed from the fiddly little questions I kept having to ask. Things like "staple or tape", which is such a tiny detail, you know?

NFANut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Noblesville
    Isn't the Noblesville CLEO great to work with! Recently mine have been "We'll call you when they are ready" but I've had a few where they asked me to go sit in the lobby and he'd get to them right away! :) A few years ago I wrote a letter to the Chief thanking him for the great experiences I've had with his staff and process in general. Compared to horror stories you hear from other states, we have it pretty good.

Similar to the glue thing, I found at Staples a double stick dispenser. It's small (maybe 3" long) and you roll the tape onto your photo and then stick it to your form. It's secure and permanent. I've tested it on blank paper and if you peel it off soon after placement, you can get it off. Otherwise it's there for good. I've seen others scotch taped photos get loose after a few years.

Just my .02,
    Jeff

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Isn't the Noblesville CLEO great to work with! Recently mine have been "We'll call you when they are ready" but I've had a few where they asked me to go sit in the lobby and he'd get to them right away! :) A few years ago I wrote a letter to the Chief thanking him for the great experiences I've had with his staff and process in general. Compared to horror stories you hear from other states, we have it pretty good.

Similar to the glue thing, I found at Staples a double stick dispenser. It's small (maybe 3" long) and you roll the tape onto your photo and then stick it to your form. It's secure and permanent. I've tested it on blank paper and if you peel it off soon after placement, you can get it off. Otherwise it's there for good. I've seen others scotch taped photos get loose after a few years.

Just my .02,
    Jeff

I've actually never met the Chief, but I know a few NPD officers and they seem to be well-trained and on-the-ball, so that alone speaks well of his leadership ability. As I said in my NFA thread, 24-48 hours to do a local background check before signing off doesn't seem unreasonable to me (notwithstanding the constitutionality of the NFA to begin with).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Where does it say that? I don't see that on my form and I didn't do all Caps. Haven't sent it in yet. Do I need a new one?

I don't have it to refer to as it's now sitting at the ATF office, but I'm sure it said it at the top in the fine print. I really doubt it would be an issue anyway.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have a Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B). It is a one sided document and no where does it read that it must be filled out in ALL CAPS. Is it possible these documents vary or I have an older one? My other forms are at the PD. Did the prints and the chief has to sign it. I notice those say I'm supposed to mail them to IL but after reading through here that's not the most current address? Right?

Top Bottom