• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Glad my "rally car" Focus isn't designed that way. I can be rather ambitious with the shifting In the twisty's and the city.

Not my car, this is a convertible and I have the coupe, but the issue is readily apparent:

lead13-2011-chevrolet-camaro-ss-convertible-review.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    acmat-vt4-4.jpg

Those are really cool! We don't have that vehicle in the US. In commercial trim, that is a Ford Everest, which is a body-on-frame SUV based on the Ford Ranger pickup. I'd like to have one of those.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    At my current rate, the small battery in the Ford Lightning, a charge of 115 kWh will cost about $11.45. The range is 230 miles, but lets give it some fudge factor and say 200 miles- so $11.45 to travel 200 miles. That's just under 6 cents a mile.

Compared to my current ride, a Silverado with a 5.3L V8, which though old, gets about the same mileage as a brand new one. That's an optimistic 21 MPG meaning I will use 9.52 gallons to travel 200 miles. At an optimistic $3/gallon, I will pay $28.56 to travel 200 miles or just over 14 cents a mile. Honestly, I don't usually get 21 MPG, but hey...with a tailwind.

Let's see what gas prices would have to be to even it out to 6 cents a mile. So, I will use the same 9.52 gallons. So, if gas got down to about $1.20/gal. Electricity and gas would cost the same to travel 200 miles. Even without Biden, electricity still wins on the cost to travel 200 miles.

All other costs? Who knows, but there is a possibility of lower maintenance costs. As for purchase price (excluding subsidies), assuming the announcements are accurate (but who knows?) the purchase price is pretty similar from gas to electric for the F-150.

Again, for me, it's not range anxiety, but the fact that I frequently drive in excess of either 230 miles or 300 miles and these trips are often away from places with fast charging. Until the infrastructure and charging speeds improve, it's a no-go for me, but I would certainly not be against an electric truck if those issues were resolved.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What's the life of those big batteries and the costs to replace?
    Depends a lot on what state of charge it’s been in for most of its life and how good the thermal management system is.

for example tesla recommends staying between 40-80% charge. Which is less than it takes my wife to commute. She uses 20% per day so she typically charges to 80% and only plugs in every other day. Leaving the car at a high or low state of charge harms the overall life expectancy as does the battery getting too cold or too hot.

thAts why the Nissan Leaf is garbage. No thermal management

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    The other part of owning an ev that I haven't seen anyone talk about is the insurance. Did I read somewhere that the cost to insure these vehicles is higher (right now) due to repair cost and limited availability of repair shops?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The other part of owning an ev that I haven't seen anyone talk about is the insurance. Did I read somewhere that the cost to insure these vehicles is higher (right now) due to repair cost and limited availability of repair shops?
    I doubt it. They are cheaper to maintain.

Top Bottom