• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

AWD standard, mid 4 second 0-60 time, starting at $32.5k with incentives. I've never really been interested in an EV, but that's kind of compelling. We're a 3 car/2 driver family so we'd still have a long range road trip option. Not that I anticipate being in the market any time soon, my 2012 Ram just hit 70k miles.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    That may be the first electric vehicle that actually interests me.

The "frunk" really does make it more SUV like, and changes one of the major space issues of a pickup for me. Dry conditioned space for all my prep stuff (First aid, fire ext., get home bag, cold gear, etc.) so is doesn't end up in the cab.

For local commutes it looks like a winner. I still struggle with actual travel (and I am NOT interested in building the infrastructure with my tax dollars, that is what the market is for) and time to recharge. I am also somewhat leery of anything which relies on a "cord" to charge it, as that cord can also move data and therefore exert control.

An increasing concern for me is who and when citizens will be allowed to charge there new electric vehicles. It becomes to easy to tell the charging stations to not charge that car VIN. (i.e. whoever can control the charging network can easily control your ability to travel)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If I did not have to make frequent trips over its range, including towing (with will likely reduce its range by 2/3), I would be all over it. However, I refuse to plan my longer trips around charging.

Other than that, it looks great. For my everyday use, it would seem to work great. It really is appealing.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    God I hate those massive slab screens that take up the entire dashboard. All I see is a $2,000 fix when that screen fails or gets broken, or a totaled car when you run into something while trying to turn up the heater.

I just spent a full day making three 130 mile round trips with a pickup, loaded to the brim with cargo. That work day is simply not getting accomplished with an EV where everything slams to a stop to charge. In cold weather, that capability gets slashed further.

Maybe this is suitable for the kind of people who buy a quad cab pickup to take their kids to the mall or haul a washing machine 5 miles home from HH Gregg, but you can't run it for 12 hours straight and gas it up in 5 minutes. What happens when I get to the only charging station on the route and four people are in line ahead of me for two plugs?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How do you charge your electric vehicle when the power is out?

How do you get gas when the power is out at the fuel station? Either via generator or not at all. Either way you are reliant on a generator and whatever energy you have stored, either liquid in a container or electrons in a battery pack.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That may be the first electric vehicle that actually interests me.

The "frunk" really does make it more SUV like, and changes one of the major space issues of a pickup for me. Dry conditioned space for all my prep stuff (First aid, fire ext., get home bag, cold gear, etc.) so is doesn't end up in the cab.

For local commutes it looks like a winner. I still struggle with actual travel (and I am NOT interested in building the infrastructure with my tax dollars, that is what the market is for) and time to recharge. I am also somewhat leery of anything which relies on a "cord" to charge it, as that cord can also move data and therefore exert control.

An increasing concern for me is who and when citizens will be allowed to charge there new electric vehicles. It becomes to easy to tell the charging stations to not charge that car VIN. (i.e. whoever can control the charging network can easily control your ability to travel)

Fords now updates over the air. Gas or electric, no "cord" needed to change settings in your vehicle. I complained about that a few years back. Obviously the market doesn't care.

The 'frunk' is better than an SUV for me. One reason I am resistant to SUVs is windows in the cargo area. I have a tonneau cover on my truck. Conceals and secures, and it's waterproof.

You probably wouldn't use a charging station except on longer trips. The idea is you charge it at home with your own equipment when you aren't using it. Although I suppose high rise apartment/condo dwellers may not have that option.

There are pros and cons with anything. I see this as an interesting option for those it works for, and the cost of admission makes it even more compelling.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The "party piece" is being able to run your entire house from the truck's batteries when the power is out. This thing is really well thought out. GM will have their own version soon, but a year behind (not counting the 6 figure Hummer).

But as a battery wall, it's a pretty expensive one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The "party piece" is being able to run your entire house from the truck's batteries when the power is out. This thing is really well thought out. GM will have their own version soon, but a year behind (not counting the 6 figure Hummer).

Well there you go. If the power is out, you can use your truck to power your home charger. Oh wait...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Indiana probably isn't best suited for it, but for obvious reasons I saw a ton of solar on residences in the deserts of the Southwest. A Tesla Powerwall combined with this sort of truck would be a pretty cool combo.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I'd have to see the literature on this vehicle, but most of the EVs that I've heard about, have a statement about NOT powering your house.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd have to see the literature on this vehicle, but most of the EVs that I've heard about, have a statement about NOT powering your house.

Ford is definitely saying you can power your house from your F-150, and not just the Lightning version, both in the video I originally posted and on their own website. It's been in the marketing for they hybrid as well. They are really selling the versatility of being able to power a work site, house, etc with both versions.

enhanced Pro Power Onboard powers job sites or campsites.

The electric platform unlocks new capabilities as well – such as enough energy to power an entire home

Apparently a lot of folks in Texas with the hybrids did use them to power their houses during the huge blackouts. The Lightning is supposed to provide roughly 3 days of whole home power for "the average house", whatever that is.

Top Bottom