• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    That is not a deal at all, walk into a Ford or GM dealer and ask for supplier pricing (GMS) and you will get a yes in about 2sec.

People literally get this "deal" everyday.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A friend of mine bought a new Jeep last year and got them to give him Chrysler Employee discount for it. He said that at that time, Chyrsler would let employees give their discounts to those that wouldn't usually qualify for them and the dealers have contacts with those employees to be able to get their vouchers/codes. I don't know if Ford does that. I do know GM isn't doing that right now. I know GM will allow employees to give their supplier discount to friends but it's only like 7%. I'd expect at least that much off the sticker during half-****** negotiations.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have been fighting with car dealers for weeks now. Trying to buy a new car with GM employee discount. I swear I think I am going to lease instead of buying....GM discount is nice on trucks but not so killer on cars...only about $1500 less than sticker.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have been fighting with car dealers for weeks now. Trying to buy a new car with GM employee discount. I swear I think I am going to lease instead of buying....GM discount is nice on trucks but not so killer on cars...only about $1500 less than sticker.

Yeah, it's about 10%. Maybe a little more on more expensive vehicles but less on cheaper ones...MUCH less of an incentive than they used to be.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You can go to GMFAMILYFIRST.Com and see employee and supplier prices. For me a $23,000 MSRP car was 21,500.....but a $42,000 truck was $31,000. I was told it is because trucks are more profitable to build......

On another note. I really like the lease terms...but I feel like I am getting screwed with lease because I don't see no discount......they still figure residual off of MSRP. This is why it has taken me forever, just too many choices.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    We used the x plan on our escape. It was a good chunk off. There are more savings on the more expensive cars. I don't know about this sale, but with the x plan, you get any additional incentives and savings off on top of the discount.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can go to GMFAMILYFIRST.Com and see employee and supplier prices. For me a $23,000 MSRP car was 21,500.....but a $42,000 truck was $31,000. I was told it is because trucks are more profitable to build......

On another note. I really like the lease terms...but I feel like I am getting screwed with lease because I don't see no discount......they still figure residual off of MSRP. This is why it has taken me forever, just too many choices.

The discount is probably listed as "capitalized cost reduction" or something similar. Lease paperwork looks a little weird, but it's pretty easy to figure out. We leased a car for my wife with Chrysler employee pricing and it was significantly under invoice but the paperwork still starts at MSRP and then works from there. I'll see if I can find a copy of the contract as an example.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah, "capitalized cost reduction" and also "agreed upon value" is where the discounts come in. Agreed upon value was the employee price and then the rebates went into the cost reduction line.

All you really need to look at is:

Total of monthly payments:
    Amount due at signing:

Add those, and that's your total cost over the life of the lease.

Then add purchase option at end of lease to see what total cost will be if you buy it. For us it was cheaper than just purchasing it with cash due to the extra rebates for leasing.

Sample Car Lease Agreement with Explanations explains it pretty well.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    BBI....that was very helpful. The car I am looking at is:

MSRP $21,020, GMS Price $19,636.72 minus $3,225 rebates equaling a net price of $16,411.72. From there we are putting $2,700 cash down. At each leasing term below, we will provide you the following information; term, residual % for the stated miles/year choice, monthly payment (the payments will all include monthly sales tax as well, example $69 per month plus $4.83 monthly tax would equal $73.83 total monthly payment) and finally the price of the residual to be purchased at lease end. For 10,000 miles per year, $74 monthly payment, 63% Residual-$13,242.60 12,000 miles per year, $82 monthly payment, 62% Residual-$13,032.40 15,000 miles per year, $91 monthly payment, 61% Residual-$12,822.20

I can buy same car for $16,400 + tax.......$17,500 plus fees.

Even though I plan to buy car outright....seems lease is just about as cheap, and I reserve the right to trade it in at end of 2 years if not happy.

What say you guys? You see anywhere I can negotiate with them for a better deal?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI....that was very helpful. The car I am looking at is:

MSRP $21,020, GMS Price $19,636.72 minus $3,225 rebates equaling a net price of $16,411.72. From there we are putting $2,700 cash down. At each leasing term below, we will provide you the following information; term, residual % for the stated miles/year choice, monthly payment (the payments will all include monthly sales tax as well, example $69 per month plus $4.83 monthly tax would equal $73.83 total monthly payment) and finally the price of the residual to be purchased at lease end. For 10,000 miles per year, $74 monthly payment, 63% Residual-$13,242.60 12,000 miles per year, $82 monthly payment, 62% Residual-$13,032.40 15,000 miles per year, $91 monthly payment, 61% Residual-$12,822.20

I can buy same car for $16,400 + tax.......$17,500 plus fees.

Even though I plan to buy car outright....seems lease is just about as cheap, and I reserve the right to trade it in at end of 2 years if not happy.

What say you guys? You see anywhere I can negotiate with them for a better deal?

Does the leasing company provide gap insurance? Ally does. If you crash the car pulling it off the lot and total it, you are only out what you've paid so far. There's no real incentive to put much money down or pay ahead of schedule like when you finance and can save interest. Your rent fee is set, and that's where the bank makes money.

Did you look and see if there are additional rebates on a purchase or on a lease that isn't available on the other? That's how we got it cheaper leasing, there were more rebates that way.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Does the leasing company provide gap insurance? Ally does. If you crash the car pulling it off the lot and total it, you are only out what you've paid so far. There's no real incentive to put much money down or pay ahead of schedule like when you finance and can save interest. Your rent fee is set, and that's where the bank makes money.

Did you look and see if there are additional rebates on a purchase or on a lease that isn't available on the other? That's how we got it cheaper leasing, there were more rebates that way.

It does include gap insurance.....I was just looking at the Ford Fusion prices that updated. There discounts don't look to be any different then GM, in fact....they only gave $1235 off for friends and neighbor pricing where GM gave $1400 off.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My front brake line bursted this morning. No front brakes now. And with this new ford sale, maybe it's time to get a new truck that I cannot afford :)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A friend of mine bought a new Jeep last year and got them to give him Chrysler Employee discount for it. He said that at that time, Chyrsler would let employees give their discounts to those that wouldn't usually qualify for them and the dealers have contacts with those employees to be able to get their vouchers/codes. I don't know if Ford does that. I do know GM isn't doing that right now. I know GM will allow employees to give their supplier discount to friends but it's only like 7%. I'd expect at least that much off the sticker during half-****** negotiations.

Chrysler still allows it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It does include gap insurance.....I was just looking at the Ford Fusion prices that updated. There discounts don't look to be any different then GM, in fact....they only gave $1235 off for friends and neighbor pricing where GM gave $1400 off.

Total discount doesn't mean much. Total out of pocket is where you need to concentrate. GM may have more markup in the MSRP.

Also, note that different option packages may have different incentives and will have different residuals. It can be cheaper to lease a more expensive car if you plan to turn it in at the end as the increased residual percentage will offset the extra purchase price and result in lower payments. Don't look at just the employee price, go to edmunds or the like and see what rebates and lease/finance incentives are available.

Top Bottom