• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I did all of my negotiation over the web. I won't waste my time and gas, driving around and talking to snakes.
    I contact the sales manager, and make my offer. They accept or decline, and I either set-up a test drive, or move on.
    This is done on my schedule, in my comfortable chair, enjoying my beverage of choice.
    I was looking at dealers 3 states away, and had a lot of good prices tossed at me. Going to the dealer, is a waste.
    I will have to try that next time. I guess I am stuck in old school ways. I would still probably look at a little closer than 3 states, maybe more like 50 miles, just for convenience, but I like your idea.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sort of. It's a price plan, not a discount. Dealers are not obligated to participate, but if they do they use a set formula. A/Z plan is the best, Ford employees and retirees. It's invoice pricing, less holdback and advertisement fees, plus $250 program fee. X plan is not as generous, and is currently full invoice - 0.4% + program fee. Both also limit the doc fee a dealer can charge to $100 (some dealers may 'forget' this until reminded).

Then you still get any incentives or rebates.

What is is *not* is negotiate down to $X then pull out the X-plan price and get more money off. You either take X plan pricing or you don't. On some low mark up vehicles, it's not a big savings. On some, it's huge. Sometimes you can negotiate better on your own, as well, particularly if you are ordering and not taking from dealer allocation. If you're buying off the lot, especially in today's environment, X plan is probably an attractive option.
    As a shareholder I believe I got the X plan. When the guy at the dealer was writing it up( we knew each other) I asked if I could have gotten the same deal if I just came in and negotiated. He said yes, but look at it this way; you didn't have to do that and you are earning money with your Ford stock.

I haven't purchased a new vehicle since that last one which was in 2012 but I suspect that now, doing the majority of your work could be done online. Then just go to the dealership, sign the paperwork and take the keys.

Edit: What Lpherr said. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As a shareholder I believe I got the X plan. When the guy at the dealer was writing it up( we knew each other) I asked if I could have gotten the same deal if I just came in and negotiated. He said yes, but look at it this way; you didn't have to do that and you are earning money with your Ford stock.

I haven't purchased a new vehicle since that last one which was in 2012 but I suspect that now, doing the majority of your work could be done online. Then just go to the dealership, sign the paperwork and take the keys.

Edit: What Lpherr said. :)

Yup. I mentioned it up thread if you have 100 shares you qualify. Inside a mutual fund doesn't count. I have enough individually held as well so I can an X-plan PIN once a year that way.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    I will have to try that next time. I guess I am stuck in old school ways. I would still probably look at a little closer than 3 states, maybe more like 50 miles, just for convenience, but I like your idea.
    We looked at everything, up to 3 states away. I was willing to take a day or two traveling, to save a few thousand bucks.
    We got exactly what we wanted, and at a better price than I was planning to spend, but didn't have to travel 3 states away for it.
    During the process, I discovered several dealers willing to sell a wrecked, salvaged, or factory lemon vehicle as new, or low mileage 1 owner.

Reactions: Leo

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

When I bought my Ram new, I emailed every dealer in a 250 mile radius. I got bids. I send out a second round with a "I'm buying on X day, bids accepted no later than X-1. The two best prices were in Greenwood and in Lexington, Ky. Greenwood dealer being within a reasonable walking distance and Lexington being...not, I elected to go with Greenwood. They threw in a spray in bedliner I was going to get anyway and ended up being slightly cheaper due to that.

Last edited:

rwilky78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2016
    Kendallville
    It's been a number of years (6 I think) but we went to the Ford dealership in Ligoner, IN (right on US 6). Service was fantastic.

Yes, it's a drive for you but what's a few hours for good service and the right deal.
    This is where i work, lol. I actually am a Technician at the Chevrolet store. You will be treated very well there.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    March ‘19 I bought from Jordan in Mishawaka. The price is the price, all discounts applied. The salespeople are paid a flat fee, not commission. You agree to buy at their price or not, no pressure from salesperson, no games.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If you're willing to order, email your specs out to a few dealers and see who has the best pricing. Since your in NWI, look in the Chicago area as well as SW Michigan.

Before covid turned the market upside down, 12-15k off sticker (including rebates), on two new F150s and one Ram.

You can't beat pulling up to find it still wrapped in plastic, your name on the window sticker and no ones driven it.

On all three of those, I had trade pricing locked in when I ordered.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Castle Ford in Michigan City.

If you want no hassle/haggle, best offer, and don't mind traveling to get it, Randy Reynolds at Don Meyer Ford in Greensburg, IN is as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I am thinking about ordering a new vehicle in the next few months. Smith Ford in Lowell sold my mothers phone number to telemarketers 10 years ago and that nightmare has lasted far longer than her car from there did. Went to Art Hill on Rt30 a couple of weeks ago and after waiting for a salesman to approach me for 25 minutes I left. Can anyone recommend a Ford dealer in the greater NWI area and a salesman that treated them honestly? PM's are welcome.
    I'd stay away from Ultimate Auto in Ft. Wayne. They are a bunch of schisters

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I never did business there, but my dad bought 2 trucks from Webb in Highland and was happy with the deals. He was in that business for 40ish years too, so I tend to believe his opinions in that arena. However his last purchase there was ‘17 or ‘18.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Fortunately we are done buying vehicles for quite a while. Frustrating process. Our youngest son has a buddy that was a salesman at a NWI dealership. He recently got canned. The requirement was you had to sell 10 cars per month. Including all the additional perks. No 10 car sale with perks, you are gone.

Top Bottom