• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I pay no attention to the force continuum. If you follow it exactly and your suspect is a true resister he will continue to one up you in force until your in a lethal force situation. Also different officers have different skills. What may work for one may not work for another.

I found some officers are talking people up when they should be talking people down. If someone is agitated screaming, yelling intimidating, them will probably make things worse. Some people do not care if you are an officer. They have an ego and if anyone tries to flex on them they will accept your challenge. I do whatever is necessary to immediately take control of the situation, and no more than that amount of force. Ive never tazed or sprayed anyone but I am a big fan of taser after none verbal compliance.

From my experience if you appear to be in excellent shape, uniform squared away, and talk softly people will comply. Like the big guy from the green mile. Dont want to hurt no body boss but he certainly is capable if he has to. Kinda off topic but I love talking about the force continuum.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For me the ROE in Civilians follows the KISS Concept...

1.) Avoidance of the situation...
    2.) Remove myself from the Situation...
    3.) Deadly Force...

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Thanks for the thoughts so far Denny. Yeah, the idea here is thinking through what might make a good "reasonable" force architecture for the average person.

There are some non-linear models out there as well that have some merit I think (see link below), but again, for the average guy I think maybe they're too complex.

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/The Force Continuum Conundrum.pdf

I'm not sure it is possible to draw a direct comparison of "continuum of force" of a LEO and a civilian.

Look at the first few levels on the LEO chart: Refusing to respond, being a dead weight, pulling away, etc. These would only be a concern if you were trying to control/apprehend someone. To you or I walking down the street, if a gang banger "refuses to respond" to us, it means he is ignoring us. He can continue to do that and I will be happy. Likewise, if someone wants to be dead weight while I walk by, that is fine. He's probably a dead weight on society, so a few extra seconds of it won't hurt anyone. As far as "pulling away," that would only have any meaning if I was trying to attack him, not the other way around.

Consider when, as a civilian, you need to even think about these things: self defense. You aren't trying to control anyone, detain anyone, etc. If someone attacks you, will you have time to start at a lower level of lethality? If you pull a can of mace and it doesn't work for whatever reason, will you have time to escalate, or have you already used up your several available milliseconds? If the mace doesn't work, do you have time to draw your asp and bring it into play? And so forth. . .

As has been often discussed, an attacker can close and hurt you before you can bring a handgun into action if he is within 21 feet. If that is the case, how do you think it would be possible for bring out a variety of different weapons to see which one works?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The continuum of force seems to run counter to the Tueller Principle (assailant can inflict lethal injury within 21 feet). If the assailant is close enough for you to use hands / pepper spray / etc. for defense, then he is close enough to kill you, especially if those methods fail.

Where does that leave those of us who are too old or slow to use non-lethal methods? Dead?

That would be my guess.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis

3.) Deadly Force...

I wish it was that simple, but if you truly followed that principle you could go to jail for murder and/or have your pants sued off by the victims family. In the civilian world your inability to avoid a fight doesn't grant you the right to use deadly force. It's a whole heck of a lot trickier to defend yourself when you consider the legal aftermath.

"Just because someone attacks you doesn't mean they deserve to die. But you always deserve to live."

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I wish it was that simple, but if you truly followed that principle you could go to jail for murder and/or have your pants sued off by the victims family. In the civilian world your inability to avoid a fight doesn't grant you the right to use deadly force. It's a whole heck of a lot trickier to defend yourself when you consider the legal aftermath.

"Just because someone attacks you doesn't mean they deserve to die. But you always deserve to live."

Sigh...
    Reading Comprehension. You start at item one and work your way to the last item on the list and can re-start at item one again at anytime as needed.

It really is that simple. By all means do not trust me but go talk to SEVERAL LAWYERS and pay them for THEIR opinions of the Laws of the State of Indiana. I have and I do so every 4-5 Years to stay current within the Law...

I am not a trained Ninja or a UFC Cage Fighter. If I cannot Avoid the Confrontation or I cannot Remove Myself from the Situation and I feel I am in Danger of my Death or Severe Bodily Harm then you can be for sure it will warrant the Death of whoever has put theirselves in that situation...

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If I cannot Avoid the Confrontation or I cannot Remove Myself from the Situation and I feel I am in Danger of my Death or Severe Bodily Harm then you can be for sure it will warrant the Death of whoever has put theirselves in that situation...

There it is! I didn't see that big red disclaimer about feeling you're in danger of death in your other post. I was trying to point out the fact that there may be situations where you AREN'T in fear of death or severe bodily harm and you would have to defend yourself without killing your assailant.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    There it is! I didn't see that big red disclaimer about feeling you're in danger of death in your other post. I was trying to point out the fact that there may be situations where you AREN'T in fear of death or severe bodily harm and you would have to defend yourself without killing your assailant.

Have you looked at what constitutes "serious bodily injury" per IN law?

It's far more broad than many seem to think it might be.

IC 35-41-1-25
    "Serious bodily injury" defined
    Sec. 25. "Serious bodily injury" means bodily injury that creates a substantial risk of death or that causes:
    (1) serious permanent disfigurement;
    (2) unconsciousness;
    (3) extreme pain;
    (4) permanent or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member or organ; or
    (5) loss of a fetus.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.26. Amended by P.L.261-1997, SEC.1.p

That says that if you reasonably fear that you may suffer a broken bone or simply being knocked out then deadly force is legally justified.

You can die from a single well placed punch to the head.

You DO NOT have to take a beating before deadly force is legal!

There aren't many attackers who wear boxing gloves or follow any type of "fair fighting" rules.

AND you need to realize that once you voluntarily engage in "mutually agreed combat" then your legal self-defense options shrink considerably.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property

(e) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (b), and (c), a person is not justified in using force if:
    (1) the person is committing or is escaping after the commission of a crime;
    (2) the person provokes unlawful action by another person with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) the person has entered into combat with another person or is the initial aggressor unless the person withdraws from the encounter and communicates to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

3.) Deadly Force...

Sigh...
    Reading Comprehension. You start at item one and work your way to the last item on the list and can re-start at item one again at anytime as needed.

It really is that simple. By all means do not trust me but go talk to SEVERAL LAWYERS and pay them for THEIR opinions of the Laws of the State of Indiana. I have and I do so every 4-5 Years to stay current within the Law...

I am not a trained Ninja or a UFC Cage Fighter. If I cannot Avoid the Confrontation or I cannot Remove Myself from the Situation and I feel I am in Danger of my Death or Severe Bodily Harm then you can be for sure it will warrant the Death of whoever has put theirselves in that situation...

There it is! I didn't see that big red disclaimer about feeling you're in danger of death in your other post.
    Are you serious?!
    I really had to add that part to quanitfy the 3 little rules that I wrote in my first post?!
    I was trying to point out the fact that there may be situations where you AREN'T in fear of death or severe bodily harm and you would have to defend yourself without killing your assailant.
    No none at all. The first two items have worked literally around the World in a LOT of Countries even with me being stone cold drunk. If you are to oblivious to what is going on around you that you can not see a Bad Situation beginning to develop and Avoid (or Remove yourself) moving farther into that Situation then possibly then you should not be carrying a Tool that has the Capacity to take a life.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I think everyone needs to think outside the box. Here is how i deescalate situations and to this day have never had to progress beyond step two.

Verbal threats i.e. "im gonna kick your ass" ---Remove pants.
    Blunt objects i.e. baseball bat -------------------Remove all clothing/apply lotion.

I'm having a training seminar if anyone is interested.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think everyone needs to think outside the box. Here is how i deescalate situations and to this day have never had to progress beyond step two.

Verbal threats i.e. "im gonna kick your ass" ---Remove pants.
    Blunt objects i.e. baseball bat -------------------Remove all clothing/apply lotion.

I'm having a training seminar if anyone is interested.

I do not know which I consider more disturbing the fact that I could see someone doing this, or the fact that someone would teach this technique... :dunno:

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Are you serious?!
    I really had to add that part to quanitfy the 3 little rules that I wrote in my first post?!

Um... Yes. I'm not saying your 3 rules are wrong, I'm saying you're missing one. Avoidance and removal are, IMO, the best ways to end a fight. But you can't always avoid a confrontation. What if the threat is a nuisance? Maybe your buddy's friend is a little too drunk and he keeps punching you on the arm saying "Whatchya gonna do about that? Huh?" Are you really going to shoot that guy?

Have you looked at what constitutes "serious bodily injury" per IN law?

It's far more broad than many seem to think it might be.

That says that if you reasonably fear that you may suffer a broken bone or simply being knocked out then deadly force is legally justified.

You can die from a single well placed punch to the head.

You DO NOT have to take a beating before deadly force is legal!

There aren't many attackers who wear boxing gloves or follow any type of "fair fighting" rules.

AND you need to realize that once you voluntarily engage in "mutually agreed combat" then your legal self-defense options shrink considerably.

Yes, I have read those laws. And while they are broad, I think it would be pretty difficult to uphold your use of deadly force in court if all the other guy did was try and get in a fight with you. Also, I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) that the mutual combat law doesn't really apply to someone who engages in combat for self defense. It's more for two people who both want to fight each other instead of one person attacking another. Again, I could be wrong on that and it's definitely a fine line.

The problem with all self defense cases is that after you're done in criminal court you can still be sued by the victim (or their family) in civil court. Even if you aren't charged with a crime or are acquitted of all charges you can still lose a civil case and have to pay damages for the injuries you inflicted. For example: the police that were involved in the Rodney King beating were acquitted of all charges in criminal court, but they lost the shirts of their backs in civil court. And then the feds took them to court for civil liberties violations and they lost there too.

Technically, you could die from a one in a million hit to the head, but that is extremely rare. It's so unlikely that it wouldn't hold up in court. "I shot him because it looked like he might hit me and he could have killed me with the first punch." :rolleyes:

I've had some martial arts training, so maybe it's just my background that makes it clear how much wiggle room there is between avoidance and lethal force.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom