• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thought I'd drop a quick review here as I know we've got a decent number of members who own smokers. I borrowed a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 to use this evening as I smoke tomorrow's bird. Unfortunately I'm probably going to have to own one of these things. I say unfortunately because they ain't cheap.

I fired up the BGE around 3:30 and it took all of 3 minutes to hook it up to the smoker. The fan that attaches to the intake vent immediately went to work stoking the coals to get it up to temp. It's held at an almost perfect 235*F since it first reached that temperature and I haven't had to do a thing. The fan cycles off an on as needed to hold the temp. The bird is pushing 160* in the breast now so I'm getting close and this has been the most effortless smoke I've done.

The BGE is far from difficult to run consistently but I've still never felt comfortable leaving it to run unchecked for an all-nighter. Once I buy one of these of my own that may become the only way I smoke a brisket or pork shoulder.

For anyone who may have considered one I can say they work extremely well. Here's a link for anyone interested: The BBQ DigiQ DX2 Automatic BBQ Temperature Control

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I smoked one for Thanksgiving the past two years and everyone loves it. I brine them for 24 hours before they hit the smoker and they turn out juicy and flavorful.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Oh yes.....
    IMG_1826.jpg

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I've heard really good things about them, but just have no interest. I don't even like using the electric smoker I have. I've got plans for a build sometime soon, I want to be able to cold smoke for curing ham, sausage and bacon as well as cooking my briskets, birds and ribs. Really glad you like it though, just not my cup of tea as I prefer taking the entire day tending it and drinking beer;)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Same here and I check to make sure the thighs are at or real close to 185* also. I do the same for chickens, undercooked poultry is not something I want to fool with. The birds always come out more juicy and tender than any I've fried or baked so they're not even close to overcooked.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've never had anything come out of my egg dry, even when I was sure I borked it. Never. Always gets comments about how juicy and flavorful it is. Bow before the egg.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I skipped the brine this year and I'm smoking with an oven bag. Sounds kinda weird but the guy I get my rub from swears by it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I skipped the brine this year and I'm smoking with an oven bag. Sounds kinda weird but the guy I get my rub from swears by it.

I've not heard of smoking with a bag before. We've had them in the oven that way and it seems to make a difference. I guess the smoke can permeate that plastic or enough makes it through the couple of vent holes? Be sure to post how it turns out.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    That's the weird part right there! Sooo wrong! It takes a real man to admit it though I guess;)

I make my own rubs and sauces that are to DIE for....Give a lot of them out but finally stopped and am considering selling them some day.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How long do you guys let em rest before carving? It's been double wrapped in foil, then towels and sitting in a cooler for close to an hour. Think I'm going to get it out of there and let the foil wrapped bird sit on the counter and cool off for a half hour or so then tear it apart.

Top Bottom