• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I can only get to page 9 of this thread without getting turned off from the constant misconception people have about freedom.

It's not about a certain "class of rights" it's about natural rights derived from the obvious right of self-ownership (this can be expounded even more via Hoppe).

It's not that I want to give more classes of people "more" rights it's that everyone has the same rights and that the State is the ultimate impediment on human rights.

It's useless to argue over being more free or less free within the system we have because the system itself is detrimental to freedom.

Get out of the damn argument over the problems of "giving more rights", everyone has equal rights and my goal is to do whatever I can to eliminate every fence that stops humans from being completely free.

I await some more misinformed attacks on a free society.

It is good to read logic once in a while...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I can only get to page 9 of this thread without getting turned off from the constant misconception people have about freedom.

It's not about a certain "class of rights" it's about natural rights derived from the obvious right of self-ownership (this can be expounded even more via Hoppe).

It's not that I want to give more classes of people "more" rights it's that everyone has the same rights and that the State is the ultimate impediment on human rights.

It's useless to argue over being more free or less free within the system we have because the system itself is detrimental to freedom.

Get out of the damn argument over the problems of "giving more rights", everyone has equal rights and my goal is to do whatever I can to eliminate every fence that stops humans from being completely free.

I await some more misinformed attacks on a free society.

Perhaps you might explain how your philosophy intends to get us back to the "free society". Feel free to give examples of how it's working in any extant locale.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sure, look up the free state project and blue ridge liberty project.

Assuming that one seeks true anarchy, how then do you provide for national defense or protection of one's independence. Any time you introduce a vacuum, something will fill it. If we were to transform into anarchy, my guess is that the Chinese would bring their system of government to us in half a heartbeat and under anarchy, we would not have any of the mechanisms in place necessary to stop it. The only reason Somalia exists in the absence of a government is that there is nothing of value there, and even then, assorted groups have stepped up with rigid hierarchical order, just none that are recognized as governments per se.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Assuming that one seeks true anarchy, how then do you provide for national defense or protection of one's independence. Any time you introduce a vacuum, something will fill it. If we were to transform into anarchy, my guess is that the Chinese would bring their system of government to us in half a heartbeat and under anarchy, we would not have any of the mechanisms in place necessary to stop it. The only reason Somalia exists in the absence of a government is that there is nothing of value there, and even then, assorted groups have stepped up with rigid hierarchical order, just none that are recognized as governments per se.

Im guessing his definition of anarchy isnt the commonly assumed one 'round these parts.

The theory of a voluntarist society is not any more 'crazy' or 'far-fetched' as any other theory of societal organization. Especially any theory which includes the concept of 'limited governance'. Limited government, as history has so often shown, is nothing more than a fairy tale.

apfroggy0408

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Franklin

My response to a possible Chinese invasion if we were to abolish the state seems silly to me. Although, the factors aren't equal a peasant country of farmers in Vietnam were able to fend off American forces. We are the most heavily armed country in the world and one that values freedom the most.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My response to a possible Chinese invasion if we were to abolish the state seems silly to me. Although, the factors aren't equal a peasant country of farmers in Vietnam were able to fend off American forces. We are the most heavily armed country in the world and one that values freedom the most.

My objection to this argument is that we lost in Vietnam because of trying to run a war by Marquis of Queensbury rules. That just doesn't work. I feel that it is a virtual certainty that the abolition of government would result in foreign challenges which we may or may not be able to adequately address. It stands to reason that if we can maintain a significant military, the wealth and means exist to do so. It may be an interesting experiment, and, for what it is worth, I can see the time coming quickly in which we will likely get to give it a try by default.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Anarchy is a farce. I will explain this position in detail tomorrow, for it is simply too late for me to open this can of worms tonight.

Top Bottom