• oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Mall ninja?
    Really?
    It's always good to know where the jerks are when you're new to a particular forum, so thanks for pointing the finger directly at yourself, I suppose.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Steve, I chambered on one of the occasions because many years ago, our neighbor just across the street from us knocked on our door one night, crying and told us that her husband had just beaten her.
    She asked to borrow our phone to call the police.
    I quickly grabbed my 1006 and chambered a round, giving her a hard look and saying "Just in case he decides to come over here."
    The other time was when I went to a rest stop and some guy just gave me a strange look that made me suspicious, which compelled me to quickly rack the slide, then reholster the moment I went around the corner of the building he was next to.
    Nothing happened each time, but it's worth mentioning that I always exercise situational awareness, especially when carrying.
    I think it's important to use that mindset, not paranoia mind you, but I think that's far more important that relying on a round being chambered, although I'm not against others carrying in condition one as such, just that it's not my favored method of carry.

You stated in another post that you want your firearm to be deployed as quickly and easily as possible. Why don't you follow your own advice?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Steve, I chambered on one of the occasions because many years ago, our neighbor just across the street from us knocked on our door one night, crying and told us that her husband had just beaten her.
    She asked to borrow our phone to call the police.
    I quickly grabbed my 1006 and chambered a round, giving her a hard look and saying "Just in case he decides to come over here."
    The other time was when I went to a rest stop and some guy just gave me a strange look that made me suspicious, which compelled me to quickly rack the slide, then reholster the moment I went around the corner of the building he was next to.
    Nothing happened each time, but it's worth mentioning that I always exercise situational awareness, especially when carrying.
    I think it's important to use that mindset, not paranoia mind you, but I think that's far more important that relying on a round being chambered, although I'm not against others carrying in condition one as such, just that it's not my favored method of carry.

So what would you have done had you not been able to run around the corner, draw, rack the slide and reholster?

What would you have done had he simply came at you after that first odd glance? Or if he didn't, would you still have pulled a weapon (potentially in public) in order to get ready for a potential confrontation?

All of this seems really unnecessary and tedious when you could just carry chambered and be ready to go all the time.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    200_s.gif

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's nice to see that opinions other than orthodoxy are routinely ridiculed around here.
    Perhaps it's a mistake that I even registered for this site.
    Sorry I'm just not "cool" enough for all you wizards.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    It's nice to see that opinions other than orthodoxy are routinely ridiculed around here.

There's gonna be smartasses on any forum about any topic. You just brought up a touchy subject is all. Its like trying to convince a diehard Chevy guy why Ford is better... A never-ending argument.

Ehh, stick around dude. Contribute, learn some stuff, keep an open mind. It'll get better!

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    There's gonna be smartasses on any forum about any topic. You just brought up a touchy subject is all. Its like trying to convince a diehard Chevy guy why Ford is better... A never-ending argument.

Ehh, stick around dude. Contribute, learn some stuff, keep an open mind. It'll get better!

And apparently in less than 25 posts. :dunno:

(oldpink 25 posts - Join date 2009, Rocketscientist 49 posts - Join date 2014)

Give it a few years, it'll all work out, I promise!!! Go read the open carry/conceal carry threads, they're a hoot!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

Maybe some of us are trying to convince you to change, or at the very least get you to realize that your actions don't align with your beliefs as posted by you. This could save your life, or it couldn't. Or to put it a better way...
    rhino said:
    Sometimes the problem is that people just don't know what they don't know.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mall ninja?
    Really?
    It's always good to know where the jerks are when you're new to a particular forum, so thanks for pointing the finger directly at yourself, I suppose.
    New? You've been a member longer than me!

As to the mall ninja, you touted:
    1. Carrying a 10 mm.
    2. Being tactically trained good enough to carry w/o a loaded round.
    Those are red flags for me. Regardless, :chillpill:. Nobody really knows you on the internet, so don't take things personally.

You jumped into the middle of the fray and took a minority position that's generally considered dangerous advice; did you really think you wouldn't get burned? :flamethrower:

So someone gave you a dirty look and a drew your gun and racked the slide IN FRONT of them? Am I reading this right? (or the comma placement is weird). Either way, what does this look like to an outsider?
    You seem pretty set in your ways so I (and others) won't influence you. It's the others that read this that is the intended audience. Situational awareness is important, but I don't want to worry about how I'm going to load my gun.

But seriously, you never explained why you're worried about bullet setback. I mean, why are you loading and unloading so much as for this to be an issue. There's plenty of threads about how others deal with this (i.e. method of cycling through rounds). What was the other reason? Oil penetration? How many times has that myth been busted...

There's shades of Squirrel here...

BFP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Seymour
    Back to the OP. I've only been carrying a short time. I got my LTCH, not really ever intending to carry, but rather just to have. At any rate, I did decide to exercise my rights. When I started, I carried with an empty chamber. Mainly because I didn't feel confident enough in my ability. I understand the risks of doing so. I have experimented with different holsters and have practiced both on the range and drawing/reholstering. I finally got to a point where i feel confident enough in my own ability to carry chambered. I recently got a 1911 and practiced quite a bit with that. I carry it locked and cocked.

As with most things gun related, passion enters into the debate many times. Case in point OC vs CC, do what's comfortable to you, I don't care.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I carry my S&W 1006 10mm auto with magazine inserted with the chamber empty for two reasons: oil eventually getting into the chambered round and battering of that cartridge from repeated chambering/emptying.
    Are you Larry Vickers?:): If you are worried about oil penetration you are overlubricating. Setback is a legitimate concern, but oil is not. the best advice I have heard is put it away without removing it from the holster. That's the safest bet. And if you DO need to empty it, rotate that first round into the stack so you arent always chambering the same round.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...8422-larry-vickers-myth-over-lubrication.html

Sometimes the problem is that people just don't know what they don't know.
    Preach it!

This is so rep worthy, but I am all out!

I got your back.

Ultimately all we can do is lay out the facts and let everyone decide for themselves. Personally if you see the pros and cons and decide to carry empty or full, it matters not to me. We are all adults here. Well, almost all. :):

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So someone gave you a dirty look and a drew your gun and racked the slide IN FRONT of them? Am I reading this right? (or the comma placement is weird). Either way, what does this look like to an outsider?

You seem pretty set in your ways so I (and others) won't influence you. It's the others that read this that is the intended audience. Situational awareness is important, but I don't want to worry about how I'm going to load my gun.

No. The guy have him a dirty look so he ran around the corner to draw, rack the slide, reholster and return.

See my question in post #103 above.

I'm also wondering, if the guy was such a threat that it prompted him to run around the corner and chamber a round, why didn't he use that opportunity to simply leave the area? Why come back at all?

Most rest areas are pretty wide open areas. Why not go around the back of the building open up some distance and circle back around to the car?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No. The guy have him a dirty look so he ran around the corner to draw, rack the slide, reholster and return.

See my question in post #103 above.

I'm also wondering, if the guy was such a threat that it prompted him to run around the corner and chamber a round, why didn't he use that opportunity to simply leave the area? Why come back at all?

Most rest areas are pretty wide open areas. Why not go around the back of the building open up some distance and circle back around to the car?
    Hey, I don't know. I need a diorama or one of those Korean computer animation videos to understand the full details.

Kind of sounds :mallninja: to me, especially if I was there watching it.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I carry my S&W 1006 10mm auto with magazine inserted with the chamber empty for two reasons: oil eventually getting into the chambered round and battering of that cartridge from repeated chambering/emptying.
    The first reason is easy to understand, even if many of you disagree about the possibility of it happening.
    The second reason is because of the way that I take my gun with me.
    I always start on an empty chamber to verify everything is cycling okay, and having to eject and chamber a fresh round each time will ding up that top round, making a misfire or jam a possibility.
    Not that this particular gun is prone to that, as it's incredibly reliable.
    In fact, I've now fired 1000s of rounds through it, and as long as they're full powered 10mm (none of those pipsqueak loads that are all too common these days), it's 100% reliable.
    I ordinarily carry it with chamber empty, but there have been two occasions when I saw the possibility of a problem, and I chambered a round just to be sure.
    I can accomplish that task in less than 1/2 second.
    Nothing happened, fortunately.
    It's not lack of confidence in my abilities or judgment by having a chambered round in normal carry mode that makes me choose condition three (chamber empty, magazine inserted), but the exact opposite.
    I'm a very experienced shooter, totally certain that I could react properly and rapidly if the crap ever hit the fan.

I'm intrigued by your post and I would like a 2 year subscription to your newsletter.

Top Bottom