• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Seriously? Tape inside a carbon fiber wheel to fix a leak caused by a crack? Just wait when the whole wheel disintegrates at speed and the lawyers, rightfully so, will have a field day with the consequences of the repair shop’s stupidity!
    Almost unbelievable! :lmfao:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah I'll pass on carbon fiber wheels in general.

Seen some minor dents beaten out of steel and alloy wheels. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfectly straight, it just has to balance on the machine. I think I've maybe seen somebody tig weld a crack once or twice.

Thing is, it takes impacts to crack wheels, and they tend to be pretty catastrophic when it happens. The Venn diagram of repairable wheel damage is pretty skinny, and for carbon fiber like that I don't think it exists at all.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got some mountain bike handle bars made from carbon failure. And a Zipp front wheel, too.

Yep, I know that one of those parts is what will likely kill me someday. But it won’t hurt any bystanders like that crazy bastard.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Yeah I'll pass on carbon fiber wheels in general.

Seen some minor dents beaten out of steel and alloy wheels. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfectly straight, it just has to balance on the machine. I think I've maybe seen somebody tig weld a crack once or twice.

Thing is, it takes impacts to crack wheels, and they tend to be pretty catastrophic when it happens. The Venn diagram of repairable wheel damage is pretty skinny, and for carbon fiber like that I don't think it exists at all.
    Yesh with pothole ridden Indiana.. wise choice for carbon fiber rims on the street.. track??

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Z06
    Top Bottom