• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I guess Jack is a wildlife biologist and nows every thing there is to know about the whitetail deer. Well answer this why is it that all the states around us have far superior whitetail hunting and more entries in the B&C and P&Y as well. Its not genetics and its not habitat or food we have both of those. I would guess it is the way they manage there herd. This being said your not spending enough time in the woods if you can't see our age class of bucks has got better since they put the 1 buck rule into place. Why would they put this rule into place if they weren't trying to manage the herd and get older class bucks in IN. Now the next step in the management plan would be work on the doe population. If you have never hunted were the buck to doe ratio was good you don't understand what it could do to the rut . When the ratio is 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 there is more competition for estrous doe's so this well give you a more intense and exciting rut. This is not a guess it's a fact. So yes we need to harvest more doe.

+1. I had a subscription to Field & Stream magazine from the age of 12 until I was 32. It always frustrated me when they were printing a regional update section in the back and you would find sections from KY, IL, OH & MI about the nice bucks but they wouldn't even mention Indiana.

The "If it's brown, it's down" mentality kept Indiana off the map for years as a decent place to hunt. While I absolutely hate the fact that I don't have anyplace to hunt now and I'm not in favor of the ridiculously expensive leases like you'll find in IL, KS & TX, bigger and better quality bucks will do more to spark interest for future hunters than having nothing but 6 point basket bucks wandering the woods of Indiana.

Top Bottom