• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm kind of torn, I like the 1 buck rule better than before, but I would like to see some other kind of opportunity, Like if you get a buck during archery, you can earn another buck tag for firearms season by taking a doe first. But I think we are seeing more and bigger bucks in the woods now than before this started.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just because it happens after the one buck rule doesn't mean it's a result of the one buck rule. It's absurd.

The biggest direct result of the one buck rule I've seen is it's rained every single year since it was enacted on opening weekend of firearms season. It's a statistical irrefutable fact.

Are you for or against that?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    The one buck rule has helped our age class go up so this is a good thing. But there are still way to many doe in most places I hunt the buck to doe ratio is like 5 to 1 and this is why our ruts don't get as good as I would like to see. If they where to maybe do the earn a buck and sell a doe tag for 3 does at a discounted price. You would have to harvest 3 doe and you could take another buck this would help our doe problem. Say they charged 40 bucks or something if you are a serious hunter you would take those 3 doe to get the chance at another buck. There planing a doe only season for next year anyway and if they really want to degrees the doe population this would work. For most people getting 1 buck and maybe a couple doe is all they want but some people like me usually take 30 plus days off work to deer hunting and if I tag out early then all I can do is doe hunt. Witch is what I'm doing this year well I'm also trying to put my son on a god buck. He hasn't ever killed a buck before and he's trying to hold out for a big one and this is not my doing he doing it on his own I tell him a trophy is what he thinks it is not anybody else. There going to change some rules next year maybe it will get better.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Oh blarney. All they have to do is repeat that bull for a generation and when people who've seen facts with their own eyes will all be gone.

There was a time when ALL YOU COULD SHOOT IN INDIANA WITH A GUN WAS A BUCK. There weren't any doe permits at all. There were a thousand bucks killed for every doe.

Guess what? There was still a rut. Deer still chased each other long before any cockamammy one buck rule or QDMA 1/5 ratio baloney was spouted over and over and over like it was some kind of fact.

If you want to "hunt" farm animals just fence up a pen and shoot them but wild deer aren't money and all that management crap is more about "managing" / dictating to other hunters than deer. If you want rules and teams and working together to farm up animals in to something they aren't when they are wild then join 4H or take up golf or maybe basketball. They need team captains and coaches and some one telling every one else what to do.

Hunting is about as near to being a free man as you get in this country any more. One on one, you make ever decision from the time you get out of bed in the morning and benefit or don't from those decisions it's your own responsibility. People who can't cope with that join QDMA and association this or club that, form a clique and out money or lobby the weasles in Indinapolis to help them.

Just as it was stated right here in this forum recently.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I have no problem with the rule as i only hunt shotgun. That being said, i do understand and see good points to both arguements. So it seems this will be a long ongoing argument for years on INGO.:horse:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i love the one buck rule. its starting to show some results i dont care what anyone says. if folks know they get one buck only they are more likley to pass the young bucks and wait. i do understand that some folks only hunt for meat. if the case kill a doe or 2 or ?. its not like its really dificult to take a doe instid of a young buck

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The biggest direct result of the one buck rule I've seen is it's rained every single year since it was enacted on opening weekend of firearms season. It's a statistical irrefutable fact.

Are you for or against that?:rolleyes:

I vote for rain. It's real dusty where i am, and it gets in my beer when i'm on the stand (I hunt right off the road, and only see small bucks anyhow). :yesway:

I've been hunting Wisconsin for 30 years now, and have watched them run different plans for most of that time.

I don't think it make much difference, but then again, we hunt big timber, miles from the road, and that doesn't compare with how most guys hunt, so it may not matter. We hunt hard, and do pretty well.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I grew up in Pennsylvania ... to the best of my recollection ... there always a 1 buck rule there ... so I guess I'm just used to it. If you are trying to grow bigger herds and bigger bucks ... it makes a great deal of sense.

besides ... you can get more than 1 by signing up for herd reduction hunts. ... I could still get 2 this year w/ my draw hunt and remaining tags for the year.

Right now after 2 months (almost) of hunting (most) every weekend ... I'd just like to see a deer I can actually get a shot at.:rolleyes:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I like the one buck rule, but wish they would allow a once in a lifetime exception. If you would kill a big buck with a bow and during gun season a true once in a lifetime buck walks out you could take him. It would also increase the sales of license as you would have to buy a second license after your first buck every year until you use the exception.:twocents:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I am for the 1 buck rule but I should be able to hunt it with the weapon of my choice (within reason). For example, I like to hunt in Virginia on family land with a 30-06 (because I have to carry that weapon anyway in case I see a aggressive black bear). What difference does it make these days with how accurate pistols and shotguns are? I do not like hunting with muzzleloaders or bows. I would rather hunt with a pistol than these weapons. Just my 2 cents.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    There was a time when ALL YOU COULD SHOOT IN INDIANA WITH A GUN WAS A BUCK. There weren't any doe permits at all. There were a thousand bucks killed for every doe..

farm up animals in to something they aren't when they are wild.

Ah yes, because shooting only males of one species will make the population more like it would be naturally. If you ACTUALLY BELIEVED what you claim then you would demand an earn a buck program so that if one buck would be killed than one doe must be killed so that the deer population would stay what it was like "when they are wild".

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Awesome rule! It used to be that most any bow hunter would kill the first buck that walked by him and then try to wait on a big one. There is no way you can argue with the fact that it is helping the herd. People need to take more doe. Plain and simple. I wish that they would implement a 130" or bigger and make you pay some sort of penalty if it ain't that big. Make an exception for youth or first time license holders.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I guess Jack is a wildlife biologist and nows every thing there is to know about the whitetail deer. Well answer this why is it that all the states around us have far superior whitetail hunting and more entries in the B&C and P&Y as well. Its not genetics and its not habitat or food we have both of those. I would guess it is the way they manage there herd. This being said your not spending enough time in the woods if you can't see our age class of bucks has got better since they put the 1 buck rule into place. Why would they put this rule into place if they weren't trying to manage the herd and get older class bucks in IN. Now the next step in the management plan would be work on the doe population. If you have never hunted were the buck to doe ratio was good you don't understand what it could do to the rut . When the ratio is 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 there is more competition for estrous doe's so this well give you a more intense and exciting rut. This is not a guess it's a fact. So yes we need to harvest more doe.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    yup

Plus one for me. I've seen more antler in the last ten years than I did the entire 40 before that. One buck rule has made a real difference in the quality of the racks/age class of the bucks where I live. I killed a 9 point last Sunday that was old enough that he hardly had any teeth. :DStill healthy and carrying some fat but he'd have had a hard winter and wouldn't have been as good next year. 1st timers and youth should be able to shoot whatever walks into range but experienced hunters who actually spend some time should have no trouble with the one buck rule. I'm not sure we should count buttons as bucks though. They can be awfully hard to tell apart w/o a good pair of bino's. And at a hundred yards you'd be at a complete loss w/o a spotting scope. Extra time for the Black powder crowd for a doe season wouldn't hurt.
    I guess Jack is a wildlife biologist and nows every thing there is to know about the whitetail deer. :laugh:Well answer this why is it that all the states around us have far superior whitetail hunting and more entries in the B&C and P&Y as well. Its not genetics and its not habitat or food we have both of those. I would guess it is the way they manage there herd. This being said your not spending enough time in the woods if you can't see our age class of bucks has got better since they put the 1 buck rule into place. Why would they put this rule into place if they weren't trying to manage the herd and get older class bucks in IN. Now the next step in the management plan would be work on the doe population. If you have never hunted were the buck to doe ratio was good you don't understand what it could do to the rut . When the ratio is 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 there is more competition for estrous doe's so this well give you a more intense and exciting rut. This is not a guess it's a fact. So yes we need to harvest more doe.

Top Bottom