• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, if I am buying 9mm at $10/box and .45 at $15/box, it will take quite some time to get my ROI on my reloading equipment back unless I am missing something.

Granted, 9mm isn't the greatest example of the potential cost savings, but you got to understand you can't compare the example of what Leo CHOOSES to load to the ammo you get for $10.00 a box. I don't know Leo, but I'd be willing to bet his loads are of much higher quality than the valued priced $10.00 stuff... Note the example you cited was using jacketed bullets rather than plated or cast and Leo is an experienced reloader that is loading for his specific weapon/needs...

The beauty of reloading is you choose what components you want to load, thus having huge control of the cost.

Decide exactly what you want to load and compare accordingly... If you are only looking to load target ammo, then figure by pricing cast or plated bullets and comparing this to your basic target ammo. If you are looking to load your own SD ammo, then you'll more than likely want to figure in the price of a quality, jacketed bullet and comparing this to the premium line of SD ammo. In both cases, there will be a savings but more importantly, you will be producing much better quality ammo.

In over 25 years of reloading, I have never really put too much effort into breaking it down to how much each round costs me to load... Saying that though, savings is a huge factor to me. I'd say cast and plated are probably 90% of what I shoot, but I look at it from a little different angle than simply cost per round... I rather view it as just how much I can get for, lets say, $100, 500, or 1000... Simply spend an hour online and take an arbitrary $ amount... Shop around for both loaded ammunition and components for the dollar amount you choose... Compare what you get for that amount. :D That's what, IMO, along with better quality ammo, makes loading your own a no brainer...

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Thanx Guys,
    I guess what i heard was about right then. That's great as I want to shoot twice as much! :rockwoot:
    So where is BK and Pro Fire? I am south east of Indy a bit. I was going to wait till the 1500 and pick up bulk there but I may not wait. Or, maybe go 50/50. I have a card from Vance who I saw there. (I can shoot lead bullets/no jackets) He shows $26 per 500. That sounds pretty good.(??:dunno:??)
    I am looking at supplies for 5K. Will 8lb. do that many?
    Thanx again!!!!

Welcome to Profire Arms and Supply
    2904 Maywood Road, Indianapolis, IN 46241. ph. 317-757-8132

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    +1 for Profire. I've been reloading for several years, and Andrew is the guy I call if I have a question. He's a shining example of how small gun-related businesses should operate-making a profit while putting people and shooting first.

I can generally say that with the common calibers I've reloaded, I save abour 40-50% per case. I don't measure my savings by 50 or 100 rounds because, lets be honest, I shoot too much to measure my savings that way. Once you get your load set up how you like it, buy in bulk and the savings are even better. There are websites out there that will sell 4-5k of bullets for very cheap.

I think most of us got into reloading first to save money. Once I realized how much I was saving...did I put that money I saved into the bank? Of course not, I used those savings to buy more reloading components! I now reload so I can shoot more. I shoot approximately 2.5 times more than I did before I started reloading.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Granted, 9mm isn't the greatest example of the potential cost savings, but you got to understand you can't compare the example of what Leo CHOOSES to load to the ammo you get for $10.00 a box. I don't know Leo, but I'd be willing to bet his loads are of much higher quality than the valued priced $10.00 stuff... Note the example you cited was using jacketed bullets rather than plated or cast and Leo is an experienced reloader that is loading for his specific weapon/needs...

The beauty of reloading is you choose what components you want to load, thus having huge control of the cost.

Decide exactly what you want to load and compare accordingly... If you are only looking to load target ammo, then figure by pricing cast or plated bullets and comparing this to your basic target ammo. If you are looking to load your own SD ammo, then you'll more than likely want to figure in the price of a quality, jacketed bullet and comparing this to the premium line of SD ammo. In both cases, there will be a savings but more importantly, you will be producing much better quality ammo.

In over 25 years of reloading, I have never really put too much effort into breaking it down to how much each round costs me to load... Saying that though, savings is a huge factor to me. I'd say cast and plated are probably 90% of what I shoot, but I look at it from a little different angle than simply cost per round... I rather view it as just how much I can get for, lets say, $100, 500, or 1000... Simply spend an hour online and take an arbitrary $ amount... Shop around for both loaded ammunition and components for the dollar amount you choose... Compare what you get for that amount. :D That's what, IMO, along with better quality ammo, makes loading your own a no brainer...

Sounds good. I don't know anything about reloading, so I couldn't even begin to make comparisons with factory and reloads. I wouldn't even know what to buy or how much powder it would take, etc. to make a comparison on how far $XXX would go. Right now I am not shooting enough, but if I get into it next year and start shooting competitions, then it may look more viable. I really just want ammo for the range and if I shoot IDPA/multi-gun/steel/whatever.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sounds good. I don't know anything about reloading, so I couldn't even begin to make comparisons with factory and reloads. I wouldn't even know what to buy or how much powder it would take, etc. to make a comparison on how far $XXX would go. Right now I am not shooting enough, but if I get into it next year and start shooting competitions, then it may look more viable. I really just want ammo for the range and if I shoot IDPA/multi-gun/steel/whatever.

Well, it's as simple as this:

By reloading, you will save ~50% over the cost of quality ammo.

With anything other than the most common rounds, you'll save even more.

If you do ANY competition shooting, you will save a bundle by reloading.

Reloading is FUN and gives you the best ammo for your gun.

Many guys would reload, even if it really wasn't much of a cost savings.

Top Bottom