• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    It's about an equal drive for me, but Winamac is free to use - if you haven't been there, it's a great place..

I'm guessing you're north of Delphi. I'm 15 minutes from Delphi, and 15-20 minutes from AB, but 75 minutes from Winimac. ;)

Great range! You need to check out the NWI events that are held there. :ingo:

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I always try to buy from the local B&M stores...

You know, when Haley's started selling they were quite high, but since Gander Mtn is in town, their prices have dropped quite a bit and they are more than willing to try to work a deal. I purchased from them just recently. Now, let me say this. The firearm I purchased, was approx $35 more than buying at Walmart or Dick's. My reasoning was this...since i have to do paperwork anyway, I will do it to my local B&M store and support them wholeheartedly. They didnt give me any crap when i stated that I was going home to think about it for 24 hours.

The guys at 4 Guns are great and I plan on buying from them as soon as the holiday is over. Have to give the a fair shot. Jared is great. As someone posted, they do like their XD and M&P and Glockenspeils...so of course I have to preach the word ( the gospel of 1911 .45 all day every day!!!) while I am in there. We have a good time with it. Again, this next purchase is going to be from $ Guns.

I have not been to Sallee's...will have to do a drive-by (ooh, that sounded bad, didnt it?)

let me throw this out there...who has the best 1911 smith in town?

GONZO!!!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    To be fair I haven't tried the HHH to get to Lafayette yet, but going 43 to West Lafayette or 25 around the roundabout into Lafayette, by the time I get to the South side of town I might as well have been in Winamac.. country driving is more fun anyhow :P

And yeah, guys, if you're in the Lafayette area and haven't been to one of the NWI events up there, you should go. Maybe we could start having Lafayette Metro events up there!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The only change I have seen thus far is that a student organization I am a part of negotiated a deal to go for a few hours like we did last year. We got a great deal then and were told initially the same thing would happen. When our guys got there the deal was suddenly changed with no warning. If there were another range in the area my business at AB would have stopped then and there.

wow, that sucks. I hope this isn't a sign as to how AB is going to be run from now on. They really need to step up their retail presence, and they need MORE student groups shooting out there, not fewer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    wow, that sucks. I hope this isn't a sign as to how AB is going to be run from now on. They really need to step up their retail presence, and they need MORE student groups shooting out there, not fewer.

As it is, we've planned another range event but we're going up to the DNR range at Willow Slough next April. AB lost us on that one.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would be curious who Maximinus negotiated any pricing deal from. I have personally known the owner for almost two decades, and I never saw him go back on his word. If it was a verbal between someone and the old owner, I could see if something changed.

I also think people are going to see very positive changes. They will come slowly, but the owner is a good businessman

QB 45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Lafayette

As mentioned earlier Applied Ballistics has undergone a change of ownership - it's true that Stan is no longer with us. We've been making tons of changes around the place, but most of them are in the background, as would be expected with a new owner. Our current focus is increasing our inventory; we want to be rid of all the old stuff, and bring in some fresh inventory, to the point that we'll likely rearrange the store at some point. That kind of thing costs tons of money though, so we have to take it one step at a time.

Maximinus Thrax, I very sincerily apologize for what happened with your student group - I think it was the result of a miscommunication between myself and one of my employees. I hate like hell to have an unsatisfied customer, and I'd like the opportunity to make it up to you and earn your business back. I'll bring this thread up to the owner tomorrow and see if I can get you guys some very good pricing. If you'd be interested in some special hours (and having the range to yourselves) I can arrange that too. Our customers are the water our boat floats on, I'd really like to make this up to you. Please let me know if there's anything I can do!

-Dan
    Applied Ballistics Manager

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Haley's - Great looking lodge setup. They always have a case of Mosins to pick through, though there is a varying selection depending on how well it is picked over. I got a great deal on a 10/22 there as well. They have an ok Selection and were friendly to me.

Tippy Sport Shop - Had some swivel studs put on my 10/22 stock. Bought a new stock too. Priced well and were friendly. Kind of a small shop for selection, but I will definitely be checking back for gunsmithing needs.

Applied Ballistics - I have a one year range membership and have shot there almost weekly for a while. Super friendly staff and their gunsmith Dan has helped me multiple times. Small inventory, but they do carry some nice stuff from time to time. This has been my preferred LGS.

4 Guns - I did a transfer here and got a bad vibe. I bought a Bud's dealer exclusive and they talked crap about Bud's and then tried to sell me the gun from them through Davidson's. I had to explain that it was a dealer exclusive and they can't order it for me. Otherwise, I've chatted with the staff the few times I've been in and enjoy browsing their C&R selection.

Diamond V - Only bad experience in town. Small selection and the guy behind the counter acted like my money wasn't worth his time. Bought some, later found to be overpriced, surplus 54.

Ramzey's - I like old rifles and they have a decent selection. Prices can be talked down and good things to be had. It is fun to browse here. Just avoid ammo.

Gander Mountain - Apparently this establishment has not heard of a lil thing called the internet. Everything is 30-50% more expensive. It is convenient to look at all the shiny things, but basically it is a place to kill time in and not buy from.

ERG - I used to stop in to get Wolf 54 for cheap, but they raised the price by 50%. Cheaper to get it online now. Nice selection of handguns and friendly people though.

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    Lafayette Gun Shops

Keep in mind there are more shops than you mentioned. I have bought from 4 Guns, ERG, Diamond, Haley's, and the pawn shop at 18th & Elmwood. All were nice to me and I troll from time to time just to see whats there (costs me money). There's a pawn shop on 52 just south of Union st that has guns as well. I think finding a deal is just timing. We were at Ace & Rico's one day and he offered me a G26 Gen 3 like new in the box with 2 mags for 375 including tax, you can't turn down things like that. If you don't mind a short drive go to Jerry's in Rensselaer (just north of Walmart on same side in a white building) he has good prices. Just my :twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom