• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No, you're thinking of the SR-71, not the U2. Different beast.

The U2's primary defense was its service ceiling, not its speed.

The SR-71 could fly higher and a lot faster.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    At 1:22, did anybody notice that the wing support wheels fell off during liftoff? When it lands [not shown] the ground crew runs underneath the wings and hold them up to avoid the plane tipping over and hitting the tarmac. Weird way of doing things.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Interesting! I wonder what a Brit was doing riding backseat - did you pick up on the accent?

I remember years ago when I was in Okinawa and the U2 was state-of-the-art; they were based at Kadena AFB. Story was (and I can't verify this) that on takeoff and landing, the taxiways and runways were cleared for several minutes before and after the U2 used it. The U2 would run-up and depart the hanger at significant speed, used a direct taxiway to the threshhold and continue to build takeoff speed without slowing down. Landings were the same, direct taxi-way from turnoff to hanger and taxi speed was really high almost right into the hanger.

nearly every plane had this treatment till it was declassifed. sr-71, f-117, b-2. and all of them started in Area51. FACT. look it up.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    At 1:22, did anybody notice that the wing support wheels fell off during liftoff? When it lands [not shown] the ground crew runs underneath the wings and hold them up to avoid the plane tipping over and hitting the tarmac. Weird way of doing things.

From the Wikipedia article:
    Instead of the typical tricycle landing gear, consisting of a nosewheel and two sets of main wheels, one under each wing, the U-2 uses a bicycle configuration, with the forward set of main wheels located just behind the cockpit, and the rear set of main wheels located behind the engine, coupled to the rudder in order to provide taxi steering. To maintain balance while taxiing for takeoff, the ground crew installs two auxiliary wheels, called "pogos". These fit into sockets under each wing at about mid-span, and fall onto the runway as the aircraft takes off. To protect the wings during landing, each wingtip has a titanium skid. After the plane comes to a halt, the ground crew re-installs the pogos. The first pogo goes on the "light" or "up wing" while the other crew members use their weight to pull down the light side. Then two of the crew push up the heavy wing, allowing a third crew member to install a pogo on the other side.

I assume they went with that arrangement b/c the long, thin wings needed support, but weight requirements prevented the incorporation of retractable gear on the wingtips like the early B-52s had. :dunno:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My mom tells an old family story of her "uncle" Nick who flew in the U2. He told about the feeling of being at that altitude and that there was no turbulance and there was no sensation of any motion, the ground was so far below you you couldn't tell that you were moving. He would get the scary feeling that he could just open the cockpit and step out and walk around.

Great video!

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Awesome video!
    I have always regarded the U2 as "one" of America's coolest aircraft of all time.
    However, NOTHING beats the SR71 in my book, for it's complete awesomeness and it will always be my # 1 dream ride fantasy!

I too have incurable BPD!

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Now why can't I get a ride in something like that? My thought is that every taxpayer should get one dream ride in any toy the .gov has. Figher jet, submarine, black helicopter ;), after all, if I got a carrier launch or ride in an F16 or U2, I might not feel so bad paying $30k a year in taxes. Yet a British guy gets to do it when he hasn't paid :twocents: in taxes to the US?

:dunno: Something wrong with that picture to me :D

At least I got to hold a M249 SAW and I got to shoot an M16 courtesy of Uncle Sam, but still, all I want is one little flight in a jet.

Top Bottom