• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I think this is part of a larger documentary. But, it's pretty cool to watch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJoMDq4AyLc]YouTube - Lockheed U-2 Flight - 70,000ft (2 Seat TU-2 Trainer)[/ame]

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Interesting! I wonder what a Brit was doing riding backseat - did you pick up on the accent?

I remember years ago when I was in Okinawa and the U2 was state-of-the-art; they were based at Kadena AFB. Story was (and I can't verify this) that on takeoff and landing, the taxiways and runways were cleared for several minutes before and after the U2 used it. The U2 would run-up and depart the hanger at significant speed, used a direct taxiway to the threshhold and continue to build takeoff speed without slowing down. Landings were the same, direct taxi-way from turnoff to hanger and taxi speed was really high almost right into the hanger.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I want the GTO chase car. :rockwoot:

And he can turn on his camera and read your license plate from that altitude. Kinda makes you feel very small. :)

That was "Captian Slow" from Top Gear right?

Edit: indeed it is "Captian Slow," outstanding.
    Edit 2: thats James May for those of you that dont watch Top Gear, LOL.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Interesting! I wonder what a Brit was doing riding backseat - did you pick up on the accent?

I remember years ago when I was in Okinawa and the U2 was state-of-the-art; they were based at Kadena AFB. Story was (and I can't verify this) that on takeoff and landing, the taxiways and runways were cleared for several minutes before and after the U2 used it. The U2 would run-up and depart the hanger at significant speed, used a direct taxiway to the threshhold and continue to build takeoff speed without slowing down. Landings were the same, direct taxi-way from turnoff to hanger and taxi speed was really high almost right into the hanger.
    I heard the same thing form a mechanic that I was stationed at Miramar with. No definitive proof, just anecdotal evidence, but cool, nonetheless.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    My son is a Ssgt. stationed at Beale AFB and works on the U-2. He is a Egress tech (Ejection Seat). When I was stationed at Osan AB the U-2's were next door to us. Loved watching them take off and land. It was designed by the late Kelly Johnson of the Lockheed Skunkworks, one of the greatest aircraft designers that ever lived. He also designed the SR-71.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Awesome video!

To think they are at the edge of space in one of the most advanced aircraft in the world yet they are still struggling with something as simple as how to scratch their nose. :D

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It's kind of interesting that they allow the pilot to wear glasses, I had always thought that military pilots needed 20-20 uncorrected vision. Of course now-a-days these are scientific flights, right?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    one of the most advanced aircraft in the world

By what standard? The U2 was designed in the 1950s, fer cryin' out loud!

Wikipedia's U-2 page has some good information on the history of the design and its many variants (I did not know there were prototypes developed capable of in-flight refueling and carrier operations).

Lockheed U-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting tidbits:

• At 70,000 feet, the stall speed of the original U-2 was only 10 knots below its maximum speed

• As the aircraft approaches the runway, the cushion of air provided by the high-lift wings in ground effect is so pronounced that the U-2 will not land unless the wing is fully stalled. To assist the pilot, the landing U-2 is paced by a chase car (usually a "souped-up" performance model including a Ford Mustang SSP, Chevrolet Camaro B4C, Pontiac GTO, and the Pontiac G8) with an assistant (another U-2 pilot) who "talks" the pilot down by calling off the declining height of the aircraft in feet as it decreases in airspeed.

• One of the most unusual instruments in the newest version of the U-2 is the off-the-shelf Sony video camera that functions as a digital replacement for the purely optical viewsight (an upside down periscope-like viewing device) that was used in older variants to get a precise view of the terrain directly below the aircraft, especially during landing.

• The last production U-2 was delivered in 1989

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I normally don't watch airplane stuff, cause I see it everyday, but that was worth it. Landing at 76 knots takes me back. I can't remember being that slow. Pretty cool.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    That was cool. I liked how he adjusted the side mirror at the beginning just before taxi.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's kind of interesting that they allow the pilot to wear glasses, I had always thought that military pilots needed 20-20 uncorrected vision. Of course now-a-days these are scientific flights, right?

They were ALL scientific flights! Francis Gary Powers was flying a weather plane, remember?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    btw when they take off they just have enough fuel to get up then there fueled in the air by a tanker.....the skin is loose and leaks fuel till they get to speed and it swells shut.....gets a little hot when goin' as fast as a bullet!!!...

Top Bottom