• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I think everyone is missing the ovious here!

It's not that his weapon went through 15k rounds.

It was 15k rounds of WOLF! I got that stuff when it was the cheapest out there and fired about 200 rounds of it through my AR, dirty dirty dirty ammo. I probably won't ever buy or fire anymore of it again.

I've seen m16's come off of military ranges and been put up dirty and fired again a year later that have never looked like that crud on the inside of the weapon.

I'd hate to see what his lower looks like, suprised with all that wolf crud that the hammer still worked :)

fordmech_2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2010
    after being in the guard and seeing all the abuse the armory m-16 takes ( dropping, water, thrown, dropped off of deuce and a halfs and overall misused by people who should not have any contact with a weapon ) even after years and years of abuse and neglect these weapons still worked great! we had to use them to qualify once a year on the range and even the inexperienced shooters were able to qualify!

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Basically, I see it this way: Every mechanical device eventually fails. The laws of physics eventually kill us all. But if you know how it fails and why it fails, then you can improve it. This applies more or less to lots of things. I've spend a lot of time on computer-related forums. Once you've seen the track record of a machine, you can fix it up well.

As an example, the iMac G5 blows up. The G5s run hot, and eventually they cook the capacitors right next to the CPU. They bulge, they blow up, they smell bad, and some Apple fanboy gets his panties all up in a bunch about how Apple never makes anything bad and Macs are perfect "how could this happen", etc.

What happened? Apple got a big run of capacitors from a Chinese company that weren't actually as heat tolerant as they were claimed. You fix the capacitor issue for $1, and the thing is bulletproof. You can pick broken ones up on eBay for nothing and fix them for a dollar.

The AR-15 was originally specced out with a clean-burning powder, and advertised as such, originally. Some penny pincher decided to buy ammunition with regular powder, the things get gunked up and jam, and they earn a bad reputation early.

However, the problem was identified. The problem was fixed. It has been nearly half of a century since then. The rifle has been through many major revisions. Because of the huge track record in civilian and military versions, it is known how and why it will fail. It isn't that they will fail, and others won't, it's that we know how this one will fail, and we don't know how others will.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I shot the M-16/AR-15 platform for a few years competitively, in both NRA and Combat-style shooting. To call it unreliable or inferior is rediculous. I'm sure there are other "more reliable" platforms out there, and even "more accurate" platforms, but my two cents is this... If it requires me to take a few minutes to field-strip an M-16/AR-15 and wipe it down and give it a quick lube, I'll do that to keep a precision piece of equipment in my hands compared to some of the other alternatives.

Just my preference and my opinion...

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    I am going to agree with the post above me on almost all accounts. The AR is a good rifle. Is it the best? No. Is it in the top 5? Probably not, but it works, it is easy to operate, take down, clean, reassemble, and it is relatively light. Send it to war. It works. It could work better. Now that I have said that, I will put my HK93 up against any stoner action AR carbine.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    That unit needs help.

Alot of guard units loan out weapons. Some units just don't have enough to go around, and they just return them right off the range.

I just had to clean several like that my last drill, I don't have a clue how long they had been sitting dirty.

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I put about 2K rounds of wolf down range, done a quick clean with slip2000, put another 4K rounds down range and haven't cleaned it yet. It's not hardly dirty at all. Just keep it lubed up with slip2000.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I think everyone is missing the ovious here!

It's not that his weapon went through 15k rounds.

It was 15k rounds of WOLF! I got that stuff when it was the cheapest out there and fired about 200 rounds of it through my AR, dirty dirty dirty ammo. I probably won't ever buy or fire anymore of it again.

I've seen m16's come off of military ranges and been put up dirty and fired again a year later that have never looked like that crud on the inside of the weapon.

I'd hate to see what his lower looks like, suprised with all that wolf crud that the hammer still worked :)
    4 years of AD USMC, and 22 years, of INARNG, I NEVER have seen, a dirty weapon put away. In the INARNG, our supply Sgt., inspected every rifle, and sent most back, 2-3 times... We had to clean them for 3 months, in a row...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    4 years of AD USMC, and 22 years, of INARNG, I NEVER have seen, a dirty weapon put away. In the INARNG, our supply Sgt., inspected every rifle, and sent most back, 2-3 times... We had to clean them for 3 months, in a row...

That is more along the lines of my experience, but I was never in the Guard or (active) Reserves so I don't know what their standards/issues are. In my mind, there's absolutely zero reason for any weapon to be "put up" without a proper cleaning. Someone would be out of a job @ Ft. Bragg.

Top Bottom