• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    They're not losing rations. They are getting MRE's in the place of one of the 4 daily meals that are provided.

The drawdown diet: Marines steamed by loss of hot meal at Afghanistan base - World News

The tactical reason for the cooking scale-down is that the people who are assigned to “support services” — such as food workers — “need to go home before the people who provide the security which enables those services,” Gilmore wrote. “This is a natural outcome of the drawdown process unrelated to sequestration or the ongoing budget issues back in the States.”

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So this Administration has decided to take away one of their meals each day. They make them stand in line a very long period of time for VA benefits when they get out if they are injured. It looks like BHO is doing everything he can to kill morale and probably, as a result, the ability to properly staff the military long term.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    3000 calories per bag at about $10 a meal.......and it still tastes like a cat left a present there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    everybody who thinks that MRE's suck must be wet behind the ears. As a kid in the 60's a neighbor used to give us K-rations and C-rations from his fallout bunker...... THOSE SUCKED! (they must of been pretty old, even way back then)

MRE's are gourmet meals compared to what came before, and they heat up too! Just like going to McDonalds! (well ok, McDonalds does suck pretty bad too)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. So they shut down the pogue's 24 hour a day sandwich line and now some Marines working a specific shift have to eat an MRE at midnight?

The stuff some people decide to get worked up over. The first time I went to the VA hospital in Louisville to get my knee fixed and saw how short staffed and short of space they were, that was upsetting (and that was under Bush). I was lucky, I could walk with a cane. A lot of the guys there weren't so lucky, and there weren't even enough seats in the waiting room for everyone to sit. That was upsetting. Pogues not getting a sandwich at midnight, that's not that concerning.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    It may not be the biggest deal around, but little by little BHO is destroying the morale of our armed forces, along with the silly engagement rules that make their jobs even more dangerous. The VA has gotten even worse as well, which shows just what Obamacare will operate like, but on a much larger scale.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Ya, they just reintroduced High Year Tenure as well. lot of little things adding up bit by bit that The Kenyan is doing to us.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Ya, they just reintroduced High Year Tenure as well. lot of little things adding up bit by bit that The Kenyan is doing to us.

Had to look HYT up. I was not familiar with it. But now that I understand it, I can see how it will decrease the morale, overall level of experience, and the number of people choosing to enlist, especially viewing it as a career. As you said, just one more nail in the coffin.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Aside from all the whining about MREs - and I'd been in the Service almost 20 years before I got my first "official" MRE. I've never been one of the majority of the troops who hate the things; I've had some that I liked better than others, but every single one of them beat C-rations, and I never had the worst of the C-rats.

The article made a reasonable excuse for the canceling of "mid-rats", but I suspect that the guidance which caused this particular measure came from the National Command Authority rather than originating inside DoD. This Administration is determined to make the people HURT over "sequestration". In the brief time I served in Iraq (at a Marine Airbase) I worked nights and "mid-rats" were a welcome break during the work day (actually the work night). So I can see why the marines are ticked off about losing mid-rats, in the midst of a war they aren't being allowed to win. Just more tinkle down their necks. . .

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It may not be the biggest deal around, but little by little BHO is destroying the morale of our armed forces

There hasn't been a president since the first Bush who gave two poos about the military. Obama isn't a patch on Clinton in that regard. Units at 60% strength, asbestos laced barracks, Brady Bill ruining careers, the joke half-measure that was "don't ask, don't tell", failing to respond adequately to attacks like on the USS Cole, aggressive use of RIF, and he didn't even have a war to bother with.

Top Bottom