• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Its been weighing on my brain for several months on what to do with my FN 5.7. Even the thought of bringing up this discussion on the pros and cons of keep or sell might ward off potential buyers depending upon my decision I'm afraid.

Nevertheless, I feel I need the advice of the forum.

I originally took an interest in the 5.7x28 round just before the madness occurred. Its capabilities peeked my interest, namely its accuracy out of a pistol with its flat trajectory out to 100 yds. I consider 100 yds and closer the average engaging distance of most modern day skirmish. Plus its 20-30 round mag can keep you in the fight longer than your average handgun. So I looked at it like a micro AR, concealable, lightweight and accurate. I was early into my research of the FN57 when I saw one in a LGS. It took me by surprise, I fondled it and whatnot and the price nearly gave me a heart attack. I didnt realize I was buying in a gun shop known for its outrageous prices to begin with but on top of that was a panic increase. Still, I had to have it and I hadn't seen any other GS carry it. I thought about it, Whipped out the calculator and figured I could handle a layaway.

THEN I looked at the price of a box of ammo. I know, I know, not sounding like an overall great way to go about it, but I was fairly new into getting back into owning guns. Long story short, I've been out of the service since '94, sharing my life with an anti gun mother of my children. I finally decided enough was enough and purchased a home defense handgun not very long before purchasing the FN 57.

So, here we are kneedeep into the panic. I've got 130 rounds for it, certainly not enough to enjoy it at the range. Rounds are either non existent or available at jaw dropping prices on gunbroker. I dont own an AR, which I really wanted to eventually get, but rounds for the AR are just as rediculous right now. I've actually been offered AR setups from several people for it, but no rounds or extra mags to make it worth the trade.

I've held onto it in hopes that the market for the 5.7x28 would bance back and stabilize and eventually I'd be able to take it to the range and train with it. Afterall, it is an awesome pistol. I put 20 rounds into the bull with it when i got it out of layaway. There are obviously those who hate the round and those who love it. It's an imported pistol with high cap mags, so it's definitely going bye bye when and if this legislation passes. It's not looking like many ammo companies are taking up the round and supporting it.

So do I hold onto it and potentially get stuck with an expensive handgun that I've got 130 trigger pulls left on it, or do I try to get out from under it and put my money elsewhere. I tried attending the 1500 but couldnt penetrate the crowd and lines, but was told that the FN57 was being sold for $3000 there.

Ok, Your turn.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have 2 57 pistols with a case of ammo (2000 rounds) plus a couple hundred rounds from elite ammo and 10 extra mags. At this point in the game I have decided to get rid of one gun and put it for sale at a reasonable price for the market on arms list. If the ammo goes away I will sell what I have left for a hefty profit.

If I were you I would hold on to the gun and wait to see what happens. If you don't want to stick with the 57 then now would be the time to sell it all! Actually last month would have been the best time to get out. The longer you hold on the lower your profit in my opinion.

I do think the ammo will come back. No one is paying $3000 $2500 or even $2000 for a 57 currently. People are asking that price but no takers. I just saw a NIB 57 for sale on Friday at a LGS for $1025. It didn't even make it into the case. Someone walked in and purchased it while it was being checked in as several guns were sold that way.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    No one is paying $3000 $2500 or even $2000 for a 57 currently. People are asking that price but no takers. I just saw a NIB 57 for sale on Friday at a LGS for $1025. It didn't even make it into the case. Someone walked in and purchased it while it was being checked in as several guns were sold that way.

I disagree - I have seen them sell for well over 2 grand on gunbroker for the past few weeks. In fact there is one with bid up to 2400 now.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    You are correct but that gun is FDE. People will pay a super premium for FDE. That say FDE is more accurate than the black. Lol. Sorry that's just crazy talk from the FN forum.

GtEcH25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Bloomington
    I was looking into buying a 57 but once the craziness hit, there was no way I was dropping what they were asking even from the LEO counter at Orion's they were steep. Idk why it's a bad idea to factor in your ammo though when you're buying a gun. It's kinda like buying a car without even considering the mpg, if you're on a budget that is.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    That gun is available on layaway. Most people need time to pay off $2500. I'm talking simple factory black 57 with no terms but cash. I don't think our member here will be offering a layaway plan.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No legislation is passing, I wouldn't let that affect my decision. Ammo market will come back, but 5.7 is always going to be tougher to find, and more expensive, than more common calibers.

If you can't afford to shoot it, can you afford to keep it and buy something else? If you sold it and put that money into a more mundane 9mm-.45ACP with cheaper and more available ammo, would you enjoy it more?

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you don't have an AR and want one, I wouldn't hesitate to trade the 57 for an AR.

Honestly, I don't consider the 57 a really great option for self defense, esp with commercially available ammo (when it is available). It would be quite the rare situation that engaging targets at 100 yards with a handgun would be legitimate (or lawful) for self defense.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm holding back on responding to some of the comments. I dont want to inject my own bias into the argument. Keep it rolling.

jaybob275

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Yeah I was just at a gun show, all the guys say yeah, that's worth what youre asking, but nobody is paying.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Well that's just not fair Sarge. Bias comes from somewhere and has its valid points. Put it out there and let's talk about it. At the end of the day we are here to live learn and grow. No room here for hurt feelings as I am sure none is intended by anyone.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd suggest keeping the gun if you can financially manage to.

It's just too special of a firearm, there's really nothing out there even in the same ball park. You will severely regret selling it as time passes.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Well that's just not fair Sarge. Bias comes from somewhere and has its valid points. Put it out there and let's talk about it. At the end of the day we are here to live learn and grow. No room here for hurt feelings as I am sure none is intended by anyone.

Alright,

First off I think the longer I wait to make a last minute sell will make it more valuable, not the other way around. I've been seeing alot of FDE 57's go on gunbroker and they dont seem so rare. I love FDE, I have an M&P VTAC. At first I thought the FN's in FDE were rare, but thats not the case. Think about it like this. Word comes down that the worst is about to go forward, people bidding on the pistols start panicing, buy it now buttons start getting pushed if its available to lock in their purchase. It only takes moments to create a listing.

Regarding the lawful or unlawful defensive shot at 100 yrds. I understand your point, but I'm talking about a situation in a post ROL environment. WROL scenarios I'll leave to other threads.

Financially, the money is already in the gun. I've got enough back up handguns and ammo so I'm set there. As far as wanting an AR platform, I think the FN holds more worth in a trade. It's just a matter of finding the right person with the right gear so we both make off with what we wanted. A true 2A battle rifle shouldnt be made of polymer. Now if you have one good AR and one polymer one for plinking and whatnot, then thats fine. Thats why I've turned down polymer AR's. As it stands now, my back up plan is to settle for a polymer lower, get some mags and worry about the rest at a later date. That is, all considering that some kind of ban is going to transpire.

randygun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    which one to buy i have one black and 2 rifles and 2000 rds .looking for handgun for my son that is five seven. wont pay those prices

Top Bottom