• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    The one thing that these small caliber, high velocity weapons seem to have in common across the board is a big muzzle flash and lots of noise.

Im not discounting the effectiveness of the round, but if you cant see, or hear after the first shot, especially considering the defectiveness of the smaller bullet is dependent on multiple hits.
    What good is it when you cant see, or are disoriented by muzzle blast to the point of slowing down your follow up shots. The .45 and 9mm have been doing a decent job all these years without all the flash and noise, and the platforms these are delivered in are usually less expensive, and easier to come by.
    To me, the FN 5.7 is kinda like a Ferarri, its flashy, expensive and goes really fast, but its not going to bring home the groceries as comfortably as an old pick up truck.

If flash and blast are disqualifying characteristics, then .357s are no good either. A place for everything, and everything in its place, I don't think this was intended as a replacement for a .45 or 9mm. I have an ageing friend who wants a semi auto pistol but due to reduced hand strength has problems racking most slides and controling recoil, he shot this gun recently and is now shopping for one. I have read of people using them for short range varmint control, but beyond what a 45 or 9mm would be good for.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If flash and blast are disqualifying characteristics, then .357s are no good either. A place for everything, and everything in its place, I don't think this was intended as a replacement for a .45 or 9mm. I have an ageing friend who wants a semi auto pistol but due to reduced hand strength has problems racking most slides and controling recoil, he shot this gun recently and is now shopping for one. I have read of people using them for short range varmint control, but beyond what a 45 or 9mm would be good for.

Thats why I tend to carry my .357 with +Ps in it, and carry the magnums in my speedloader. ;)

As for an ageing person, or anyone who cannot handle the recoil, or rack the slide of a full power auto, there are still other suitable options out there that will work just as well, and probably be a bit less expensive in the process.

Im not discounting anyone who has chosen this as a SD weapon, but I am trying to understand the attraction beyond a loud, low recoil, expensive weapon. Perhaps its so popular because its the side arm of choice for Sam Fisher...

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Thats why I tend to carry my .357 with +Ps in it, and carry the magnums in my speedloader. ;)

As for an ageing person, or anyone who cannot handle the recoil, or rack the slide of a full power auto, there are still other suitable options out there that will work just as well, and probably be a bit less expensive in the process.

Im not discounting anyone who has chosen this as a SD weapon, but I am trying to understand the attraction beyond a loud, low recoil, expensive weapon. Perhaps its so popular because its the side arm of choice for Sam Fisher...

The main reason I posted this in this thread was to offer a less expensive alternative to the FN 5.7. I paid $599 for the gun and $20 a box for the 22TCM ammo. I can also shoot 9mm out of it as it came with a 9mm barrel.

And I have no idea who Sam Fisher is..........

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just curious, I believe there are only 3 firearms chambered for 5.7x28, but bringing up a very common round as the 22TCM I wonder how many firearms are chambered for it, and how easy is that round to find at your local gun store?

Seriously, I don't know and am only asking because this is the first time I have ever heard of 22TCM.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The 5.7, and 22 TCM are interesting, though not too common. Indykid, the TCM hasnt been out quite as long as the FN round, but I think David has the right idea, it is a less expensive alternative to the 5.7, and as such may see a bit of rise in popularity as it gets a bit more exposure. Honestly, I think it took less time for me to lay eyes on a TCM chambered pistol from it introduction vs. the time it took me to find a FN pistol from their intro.

And David, Sam Fisher is the fictional character in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series. Not that his opinion means squat, but some people tend to follow advice of even fictional people in the know, lol..

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I hate to admit this, but other than my Kahr PM9 which is always in my pocket, the two pistols that compete for my primary carry location are pistols that if I had to use, would not be hurt too bad by the fact that they would probably be confiscated even on a justifiable shoot. Sure I would get them back eventually, but what would they look like upon their return?

Honestly that is the only reason that my Five-seveN has never accompanied me outside my home.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I hate to admit this, but other than my Kahr PM9 which is always in my pocket, the two pistols that compete for my primary carry location are pistols that if I had to use, would not be hurt too bad by the fact that they would probably be confiscated even on a justifiable shoot. Sure I would get them back eventually, but what would they look like upon their return?

Honestly that is the only reason that my Five-seveN has never accompanied me outside my home.

Makes perfect sense to me. The carry gun, or the nightstand gun for that matter, are the cheapest reliable guns that I can get.

Top Bottom