• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFM173

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Greenwood
    I will be traveling/flying to Kansas next month. I will be doing a lot of traveling around Kansas via car for the week and don't want to be unarmed in the unknown. I understand the Kansas laws in regards to carrying while there. My question is: I understand the policy and check-in procedures for flying with a firearm in your checked luggage. I will be flying on Southwest. Has anyone ever flown with them and taken a firearm in their checked luggage? Did you have any issues or problems?

Thanks in advance!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    After using Google to do a search for "southwest airlines firearms", THIS LINK was on top. One of the tabs on the side deals with their firearms and ammo policies.

Hard sided cases can be expensive, depending on how much you're taking and how well padded you want everything. I flew to / from OKC from Indy and had no trouble with the TSA. (The Aunt we visited was a different story...) Declare when you check in and they will help you through everything. JUST KEEP IN MIND that every item you check is counted towards your luggage fees, your ammo must be in the original box(es), and in a locked hard sided box.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I have flown Southwest many times with one my handguns. The check-in procedure is easy and should only add about 5 minutes to your time. You declare it at the counter and they will have you fill out a form with your name, address, flight number, etc. which gets scotchtaped to your case. The counter agent will give you a slip of paper that you hand to the TSA and then you have to wait at the supervisor station until they call up from down below saying you are GTG.

I got a hard sided case from Gander Mountain and I think it was $ 19.95. It has provisions for 2 padlocks and I have used it every trip with no problems. I also got a plastic ammo box that holds 20 rounds. I just unload, put the ammo in the box and the pistol in the case.

The only issue was coming home from KC one time the ticket counter agent wanted me to open the case to verify that the mag was out. Once I showed it to her, we were good.

The only word of caution I can add is, be careful of traveling with a handgun if you have a connection in a non-friendly state (i.e., NJ). If you should happen to get stranded and have to claim your bag, it's going to be a problem when you check back in. There was a guy in NJ that spent 10 days in jail for having a firearm and no NJ license, or permit, or whatever they call it.

Safe travels.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    A great travel setup is the Pelican 1075 case and two Master Lock 4680 TSA approved locks. The case is durable, supposed to be "waterproof", very thin and takes very little room in your luggage. You can carve out a spot for the gun, spare mags and box of ammo. You can buy spare foam inserts if you want to do cutouts for different guns for like $15. I've done this for full size, compacts and subcompacts and love 'em.

Case:
    Amazon.com: Pelican P1075 Black Pistol and Accessory Progear Hardcase with Foam: Sports & Outdoors

Locks:
    Amazon.com: Master Lock 4680DBLK TSA-Accepted Set-Your-Own Combination Lock, Black: Home Improvement

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Print the policy for TSA out and the airline. When I did it the checkin counter had no idea and said I couldn't bring the ammo in the same case. I showed them their policy and then they let me.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Not a real big deal, I flew out to AZ with and shotgun and a 44 mag pistol with no issues( besides the look the check in girl at the counter in Indy gave me as she was calling her supervisor) they put an orange tag on your luggage that says firearm and that is the only difference. The TSA agent in Phoenix let me watch the process they remove the hard case and swab it for explosive residue. Then open see it is a firearm close and lock. He said make sure to use TSA approved locks or they would cut them off if need be.

fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    One thing to consider when checking a firearm while flying is that if for whatever reason your plane is diverted to an airport in a location where you can't legally have the firearm (i.e. New York City, Chicago), you technically could be arrested for picking up you checked bag containing the firearm. The chances of this happening are slim, but something to consider.

HD1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Henderson, KY
    One thing to consider when checking a firearm while flying is that if for whatever reason your plane is diverted to an airport in a location where you can't legally have the firearm (i.e. New York City, Chicago), you technically could be arrested for picking up you checked bag containing the firearm. The chances of this happening are slim, but something to consider.

Not if you stay put in the Airport, even if it's Overnight. They make no Provisions for you incase that happens, say a Diversion that requires overnite stay in NYC or NJ etc.

Federal Transportation Laws apply here.

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News

(Updated) Supreme Court Denies Case of Man Arrested for Traveling With ?Legal? Gun | TheBlaze.com

Last edited:

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Not a real big deal, I flew out to AZ with and shotgun and a 44 mag pistol with no issues( besides the look the check in girl at the counter in Indy gave me as she was calling her supervisor) they put an orange tag on your luggage that says firearm and that is the only difference. The TSA agent in Phoenix let me watch the process they remove the hard case and swab it for explosive residue. Then open see it is a firearm close and lock. He said make sure to use TSA approved locks or they would cut them off if need be.

The only time the TSA would need to cut the lock is if the bag alarms and the firearm is not declared at check-in. I travel with my own locks all of the time. Never had one cut yet.

fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    HD11, You're correct. I should have been clearer. I meant in the situation where you had to for some reason, leave the airport and come back later to re-check the bag.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    After using Google to do a search for "southwest airlines firearms", THIS LINK was on top. One of the tabs on the side deals with their firearms and ammo policies.

Hard sided cases can be expensive, depending on how much you're taking and how well padded you want everything. I flew to / from OKC from Indy and had no trouble with the TSA. (The Aunt we visited was a different story...) Declare when you check in and they will help you through everything. JUST KEEP IN MIND that every item you check is counted towards your luggage fees, your ammo must be in the original box(es), and in a locked hard sided box.

This part is not true. It must be in original boxes, but can be checked in any luggage.

Also, make sure the airline puts NOTHING on your gun case that is visible outside the case that identifies that there's a firearm inside. This is illegal.

When I've flown Southwest out of Chicago, I have checked several handguns. I put my Pelican case inside a soft duffel, and they put the little card inside the duffel. Hard case gets locked with my locks, duffel gets locked with TSA lock.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Sorry, but have to disagree with you on a couple of points:

This part is not true. It must be in original boxes, but can be checked in any luggage.

It MAY ​be in the original box. It does not HAVE TO BE. It can be in any container designed to transport ammo.

Also, make sure the airline puts NOTHING on your gun case that is visible outside the case that identifies that there's a firearm inside. This is illegal.

Where did you get this info ? Every time I fly Southwest, they tape the firearms declaration card to my gun case. What is the illegal part ? :dunno:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Sorry, but have to disagree with you on a couple of points:

It MAY ​be in the original box. It does not HAVE TO BE. It can be in any container designed to transport ammo.

Where did you get this info ? Every time I fly Southwest, they tape the firearms declaration card to my gun case. What is the illegal part ? :dunno:

You're right on the ammo. I messed up. I knew it, but was transfixed on correcting the "locked ammo case" error.

On the labeling, I should be more clear. It can be on the gun case, as long as the gun case is in something else.

The airline can not place anything on the outside bag containing the firearm that there is a gun inside.

18 USC Sec. 922 (e)

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    You're right on the ammo. I messed up. I knew it, but was transfixed on correcting the "locked ammo case" error.

On the labeling, I should be more clear. It can be on the gun case, as long as the gun case is in something else.

The airline can not place anything on the outside bag containing the firearm that there is a gun inside.

:thumbsup:

Safe travels !

Top Bottom