Flying to Georgia and driving back, taking my gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Just wondering if there is anything I need to know or should be aware of.
    My grandparents went down to stay with my aunt in Georgia for the winter, they have some medical problems and my mother decided that she was worried and didn't want them makeing the drive.
    She called my uncle who has an airplane and asked him to fly me to Georgia and fly them back to here to South Bend. I will be driving their car home and have decided to take my girlfreind along and make a few stops.
    I will be going to Augusta GA (right on SC border), mapquest would have me go through SC (no carry) but I am thinking of cutting back to nashville and spending the afternoon/night there, then wakeing up and heading up to mammoth caves for the day. from there mabey head home or if it is nice stopping in louisville and eat at joes crab shack.
    I read that GA, TN and KY all honor our LTCH and as mentioned I will avoid SC. Anyone see an issue?
    Also does anyone have any suggestions of good places to stop along the way.
    :ingo:

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    No Issues, I drive back and forth to ATL all of the time. Just make yourself aware of the various do's and don't of each state.

As far as places to go? Dunno, I usually drive straight down and the stop for an overnighter in Bowling Green, KY on the return trip.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's not a bad drive, used to do it all the time coming back from Benning. Time it right so you can stop at the Outpost Armory off 24 south of Nashville. Really nice gunstore with a good combination of standard and high end guns, class III also, and a lot of reloading gear/supplies.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Check the forums on Roadfood.com for places to eat along your route. Lots of good places (better than a chain like Joe's) exist along that drive. You can always ask them, too, in the "Where Should I Eat" sub forum.

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    I am about to make the same drive, actually to the same exact area, Augusta, GA. Will be going through GA, TN, KY, home.. In Indiana I can carry fully loaded in person or car. I haven't found anything place that tells me if I need to unload in a particular state or lock the ammo in a separate area, etc..... I would just drive and not worry but if I get pulled over I don't want trouble because some other state has different laws for carrying in a car.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    FOR OPEN CARRY while driving (which is what I presume you are looking for)

KY- Open Car Carry You may open carry in a vehicle either in plain view OR in a glove box.
    TN- Open Car Carry Firearms may be openly carried in cars only with a permit/license.(your IN license is reciprocated)
    GA- Open Car Carry You may open carry in a vehicle either in plain view OR in a glove box.

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    freaking awesome, i was pouring through all the statutes which were telling me all sorts of things i knew

they should have a webpage somewhere dedicated to those planning to travel with all the auto specific laws

thanks

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Sounds like a great trip. Should be good to go as far carry in the states mentioned. Mammoth Cave is fun but No-carry on cave tours.

From their web-site

In what areas of the park are weapons prohibited?

All firearms are Strictly Prohibited from the following areas, regardless of whether the visitor has a valid concealed weapons permit:

ALL government buildings that are classified as a federal facility
    ALL cave tours
    ALL buses used to carry visitors for cave tours
    The Mammoth Cave Hotel Lobby, Rotunda Room, gift shops and dining areas.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Thanks for all the great info and ideas guys, I would definatly like to hit the corvette museum. I plan to take my kahr MK9 and my girlfreind will have her p226 in her galco purse as usuall. My uncle is cool with guns, but my aunt is a full blown anti..
    She knows that both me and my cousin (her son) carry though and wouldn't blow it up.
    Only bummer about the trip is I will be rockin a crown vic old people car. :shady:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Don't get stopped by any interdiction details. It is well-known that dealers fly south, pick up drugs, and drive back north.

Just sayin'...

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Don't get stopped by any interdiction details. It is well-known that dealers fly south, pick up drugs, and drive back north.

Just sayin'...
    Well.... I do have to pay for the trip somehow. :evilangel:

Seriously though, I did think of that. I am 24 and the car I will be driving makes as good a gangster mobile as it does an old peoples car and I don't look right in either one.
    I do need to dig out a recorder before I go though.

Last edited:

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I have made half that trip several times, only I continue south from nashville on my way to southern mississippi. The corvette museum a cool place to check out (although I'm a mustang guy.) Be on your toes in tennessee, usually more state troopers, and Nashville can be a bit of a maze trying to get to all of your exits. I have to transition from left lanes to right lanes a couple of times for I-65, but I'm not sure about the Atlanta direction.

Above all, have a good trip and make it home safe.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville

Just sayin'...
    Just make sure the old peoples car is not over loaded in the trunk, like you have about 100 kilo's of pot in there, or better yet get a bunch of magnetic antennas and attach them to your truck lid....they'll think you're a cop!
    :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Just make sure the old peoples car is not over loaded in the trunk, like you have about 100 kilo's of pot in there, or better yet get a bunch of magnetic antennas and attach them to your truck lid....they'll think you're a cop!
    :rockwoot:
    :D The car is loaded down with all of their luggage from 2 1/2 months, I'm hit forsure :laugh:
    I am leaving in about 15 min. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I did take a ride in the plane yesterday, It's a "Mooney 205". Scared the crap out of me and we were at like 200 ft., basicly a small 4 seat sports car with wings. I had only flown once before and that was in a full size commercial jet.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    ;) I made it down here anyway. Plane scared me a bit, it really scared my girlfreind when we got in some clouds and it got REALLY bumpy. Also got to fly the thing a bit, steering was very touchy.
    Anyway all I did so far was go out to eat, fix a fence gate and hang out on the deck shooting the breeze with my aunt and cousin.
    We are heading out here in a bit, either to nashville or straight to mammoth I havn't decided yet. My aunt would really like me to move here and it is beutiful, but I don't see myself leaving IN anytime soon.

Top Bottom