• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlterEgoJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Would anyone know if I would have any problems checking a firearm while flying out of Dayton?

I am flying to another state that recognizes my LTCH and I am going to abide by all of the airline safeties and restrictions. I am worried about being in Ohio where I can't legally carry. However it will be unloaded and locked in a hard case. I am worried about being in Ohio with a gun in possession before I check it for the flight.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    I flew into Dayton from ATL, and asked an attorney beforehand that specializes in gun law about if I could do what you are asking, only the opposite.

His answer was that he would not advise that I carry a handgun, unloaded or not, into a state that I cannot carry.

Take it how you want. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep it in your transport case... no loaded mags... You'll be OK.

I take guns into Ohio all the time. The lawyer isn't very smart.

bob609891

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
    When I go into Ohio, I always just unload my mags, lock my gun with a cable, stick it in the case, keep the ammo in the glovebox and the case in the trunk. I'm sure I'm all kinds of screwed up because I have no idea how you're supposed to transport over state lines... but it shows that I'm trying. I'm sure different states have different laws... but I drive cross country a lot and I'm not stopping 20 different times to change something.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    I take guns into Ohio all the time. The lawyer isn't very smart.

You take firearms into Ohio on an airplane without a Ohio permit all the time?

Tell the lawyer yourself, he is here and posts quite often.

When I go into Ohio, I always just unload my mags, lock my gun with a cable, stick it in the case, keep the ammo in the glovebox and the case in the trunk. I'm sure I'm all kinds of screwed up because I have no idea how you're supposed to transport over state lines... but it shows that I'm trying. I'm sure different states have different laws... but I drive cross country a lot and I'm not stopping 20 different times to change something.

I think we are all missing the important part here, it rhymes with "gun on airplane."

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Taking guns into Ohio is no big deal...is you follow Ohio law. Taking guns onto a commercial airplane in Ohio is no big deal, provided you follow Ohio law...and necessary FAA rules/regs/laws.

Don't over complicate it for yourself.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Unloaded, locked, and inaccessible. Only requirements. In Ohio though a magazine being loaded constitutes a loaded firearm. However, since you're taking it on a plane, the maga should be unloaded as it is. If you really want to play it safe, field strip it and separate it as well. Put the frame in one box and the slide in another. Follow the airlines guidelines or the TSAs guidelines, whichever are more stringent. From what I hear, flying with a gun in the checked baggage is very uncomplicated.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    You take firearms into Ohio on an airplane without a Ohio permit all the time?

Tell the lawyer yourself, he is here and posts quite often.

I think we are all missing the important part here, it rhymes with "gun on airplane."

Also, your lawyer DOES stipulate that he's not sure of the rules and regulations of transporting through that state. Carrying IN Ohio is fairly simple also. A gun in a car is concealed, so lock it up and open carry without a CWP. That simple. IANAL, but those are what I see on a thread to thread coverage and interpretting the law myself.

AlterEgoJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Unloaded, locked, and inaccessible. Only requirements. In Ohio though a magazine being loaded constitutes a loaded firearm. However, since you're taking it on a plane, the maga should be unloaded as it is. If you really want to play it safe, field strip it and separate it as well. Put the frame in one box and the slide in another. Follow the airlines guidelines or the TSAs guidelines, whichever are more stringent. From what I hear, flying with a gun in the checked baggage is very uncomplicated.

The airline only requires it to be unloaded and locked in a hard case. I am going to cable lock the gun and then lock it (unloaded) in the hard case and keep it in the trunk while traveling to the airport.
    Cool. I think i'm good to go.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Don't forget TSAs rules. The reason I say to separate is in case a part is "lost" the whole gun is not lost. If it's stolen, they won't have the full gun to use.

Top Bottom