• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I want to apply for a Florida Concealed Carry Permit and am looking for a qualifying firearms safety course in the Indy area. The only course that I know about at the present time is the Utah class offered by Gander Mt. but don't know if this would also qualify for Florida app.. I hold an Indiana LTCH and have been a shooter most of my adult life but have never taken an actual course. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Also, I am new to INGO and this is the second time that I have tried this post so, if I screwed it up or it shows up twice, sorry.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Welcome to ingo, fellow B-burg-ian!

I don't think the Utah class will work for the Florida permit, as Florida requires actual firing range instruction. The NRA Basic Pistol course will work fine, though. Here is a link to "official" NRA courses (search by zip or location):
    Find NRA Near You

If you are taking the UT class, there isn't much need to also get the Florida permit. I believe they cover almost the same states.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The Indiana LTCH is honored/recognized in the following 26 states:
    AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, and WY.

Both the Florida and Utah permits are recognized in the following additional states:
    DE, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV.

With the Florida permit, add KS and NM.
    With the Utah permit, add MN.

The above information was compiled, recently, from Handgunlaw.us

The Florida permit costs $117 and is good for 7 years.
    The Utah permit cost (I believe) $65 and is good for 5 years.
    The Utah permit is cheaper to renew.

The Utah training component (no live fire) must be administered by trainers certified by Utah in Utah!

The Florida training component is not satisfied by the Utah training, but the NRA Basic Pistol class (among others), which does have live fire, does satisfy the Florida training requirement.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    MY:twocents: Get the Utah and Arizona permits. The two of them together are cheaper then than the Florida and give you the same states. You will still need a class with range time to get AZ though. I would check with them to see what they will accept, but they will take an NRA instructor class.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    If you are a veteran then Florida will accept you DD 214 as proof of training. That's what I did. I got out of the Air Force 18 years ago and they still accepted it.

Top Bottom