• ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    This is good info. Thanks.

I view the cost of the UT non-res permit as significantly cheaper over the long haul. When I did this a few years ago, total upfront cost for the UT license was initially $48 more expensive due to the needed training cost of $99.95 (and as I would have had no up front training cost for FL - just submit hunter's safety class card). However, the UT license becomes cheaper, after 7 years since FL wants $117 every renewal compared to $10 to renew the UT license. Coverage of either is about the same.

FL Training req: The UT class (which is offered around IN pretty regularly) will qualify, as I believe, will completion of Indiana's online hunter's safety material (the latter being ridicously cheap if you haven't already done it).

I went UT, because even though I had already done hunter's safety (thus no additional training cost), I'll still come out ahead after just one FL renewal.

In otherwords, it would have cost me nothing for training to apply for FL; just send in my hunter's safety card, and I still went with UT because it's that much cheaper after a few years.

Florida license cost $117 license fee + any required training (may not need as previous training may qualify). Then, $117 renewal every 7 years.
    UT license cost $65-ish initially + any required training (has to be from a UT approved instructor). Then, $10 renewal every 5 years.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If I remember correctly, Indiana already does practice reciprocity with other states. I do not know if an Ohio permit is recognized here. As for the people's republic of Illinois... let's just say that if everyone OUTSIDE of Chicago would actually vote... it'd be a different story.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If I remember correctly, Indiana already does practice reciprocity with other states. I do not know if an Ohio permit is recognized here. As for the people's republic of Illinois... let's just say that if everyone OUTSIDE of Chicago would actually vote... it'd be a different story.

Indiana recognizes permits issued by all the other states, even those that do not recognize ours.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    And if Joe's word isn't enough (which it should be!), here's the relevant code.

IC 35-47-2-21 Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. . . .
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Indiana Code 35-47-2

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    why would you go through the expense and hassle of obtaining a Florida permit if you have a valid Indiana permit???

Florida is a "shall issue" state, and issues concealed carry permits to both residents and non-residents. Florida recognizes permits from any other state which recognizes Florida's permit, provided the non-resident individual is a resident of the other state and is at least 21 years old.[49]

"Indiana honors CCW licenses issued by every state"

If you have a valid LTCH in Indiana, then you are legal in Florida too.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Yes you are legal in Florida with your Indiana permit but other states that don't recognize Indiana permits do recognize Florida and Utah permits. As already pointed out Ohio doesn't recognize our permit but does recognize the others. If you only carry in states that allow Indiana permits more power to you, otherwise you need one of theirs.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    Florida seems to be rather lenient on accepting a range of training documents.
    I used a certificate from a handgun course I took in Texas 15 years ago and it worked.

Top Bottom