• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I intend to get a Florida CC permit mainly because my job takes me into surrounding states frequently (not IL). Florida's training requirement is quite broad. Could I get some advice on which class would be good but not cost me my entire paycheck? Thanks in advance.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Where do ya go to get the Florida permit? I think I do want the Florida permit, simply because I already meet the training requirements.

What does the Florida permit cost vs the Utah?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think one advantage of the FL vs. Utah is the time between renewals. I think FL is a longer term, thereby saving some $$ in the long run.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I intend to get a Florida CC permit mainly because my job takes me into surrounding states frequently (not IL). Florida's training requirement is quite broad. Could I get some advice on which class would be good but not cost me my entire paycheck? Thanks in advance.

I got my Fl permit after attending a one day class. This was one of the most informative class (and fun shooting) I have attended. Joe will sign a form that you met the required training. The class is held in Florence KY just south of Cincy.

It is interesting that the FL permit process is ran by the Dept of Agriculture!

Courses | Defensive Handgun Training

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I view the cost of the UT non-res permit as significantly cheaper over the long haul. When I did this a few years ago, total upfront cost for the UT license was initially $48 more expensive due to the needed training cost of $99.95 (and as I would have had no up front training cost for FL - just submit hunter's safety class card). However, the UT license becomes cheaper, after 7 years since FL wants $117 every renewal compared to $10 to renew the UT license. Coverage of either is about the same.

FL Training req: The UT class (which is offered around IN pretty regularly) will qualify, as I believe, will completion of Indiana's online hunter's safety material (the latter being ridicously cheap if you haven't already done it).

I went UT, because even though I had already done hunter's safety (thus no additional training cost), I'll still come out ahead after just one FL renewal.

In otherwords, it would have cost me nothing for training to apply for FL; just send in my hunter's safety card, and I still went with UT because it's that much cheaper after a few years.

Florida license cost $117 license fee + any required training (may not need as previous training may qualify). Then, $117 renewal every 7 years.
    UT license cost $65-ish initially + any required training (has to be from a UT approved instructor). Then, $10 renewal every 5 years.

Last edited:

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Florida's training requirement is quite broad. Could I get some advice on which class would be good but not cost me my entire paycheck? Thanks in advance.

The NRA Basica Handgun course will work for the FL permit, it will also work for many other permits around the country as well if you ever have to move to another state.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    The NRA Basica Handgun course will work for the FL permit, it will also work for many other permits around the country as well if you ever have to move to another state.

This is accurate, I used the NRA home defense basic course for my Florida permit. I have to get Utah though, no sense not to, and then I probably won't renew my FL.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe, I can understand that. Any idea as to why Ohio would be ok with the Fl. permit and not with In.?

I think it's FL's mandatory training requirement.

Personally, I think IN should only recognize the permits of states that recognize ours. It may motivate the folks on those states to pressure their legislature to grant reciprocity.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    FYI - - here's the financial analysis I did a few years ago when deciding which to do. I think the fees are still the same.

4505017037_8061602300_o.jpg

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Joe, maybe Indiana should looking to adding the training requirement. Most of us have had the training and it a good idea for everyone to have. That could open up more states to our permit and good gun safety is important.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe, maybe Indiana should looking to adding the training requirement. Most of us have had the training and it a good idea for everyone to have. That could open up more states to our permit and good gun safety is important.

I do not support mandatory training to exercise a Constitutional right. How 'bout training and a license to go to church, speak your mind, vote. How 'bout having to flash an ID card to keep the police from searching your house?

Not to mention mandatory training creates more a poll tax to exercise Constitutional rights than already exists. The training Cathy and I are going to take this summer will, between the very reasonable instructor fees and ammo, come awfully close to costing what my gun is worth. Not everyone can afford that. Heck, WE can't afford it, but shooting is a big enough part of our lives that we are going to do it anyway. Do we then say that the poor aren't entitled to Constitutional protections? Perhaps we have the state provide training, meaning we ALL pay for it through taxes. The state has already proven itself incapable of complying with the law re: the time span they are legally allowed to take to issue an LTCH. Are you really looking forward to a two or three year wait to be "allowed" to exercise your rights?

We shouldn't even have to ask the state for permission to carry in the first place. Adding mandatory training to comply with states that crap on the Constitution even more than we do isn't the answer, IMHO.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm all in favor of adding a training requirement for our LTCH . . . right AFTER they add a training requirement to VOTE.

No former without the latter.

You want training - get it. Don't force anyone else to in order for them to exercise their rights. Bad idea.

(Looks like I doubled w/Joe who brings up the additional market-based argument that such training would reduce licensing by increasing the cost of entry.)

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Sorry guys! Joe the training you are going to sounds very intense. What I was thinking was just basic safety classes. In my area they are priced very cheap. A lot less than the cost of your permit.

Can't argue that we should not have to paid to exercise your rights. With rights comes responsibility. A basic safety class could be a good thing. A lot of people today have not been learned about gun safety.

Top Bottom