• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That's my best guess - Desmond was too slow putting the numbers into the computer.

Seriously, as a professional pilot all the speculation about this just makes me shake my head.

Bomb or other in-flight breakup = HUGE debris field.

Define huge. A couple hundred miles isn't all that big in an ocean. Not to mention that the higher and faster the plane was, the less dense the wreckage will be per square foot. The ocean is only going to make that worse. Having said that, one would still expect to find something.

Of course, one would have to be looking in the right place to begin with.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Seriously, as a professional pilot all the speculation about this just makes me shake my head.

Even as a long ago private pilot and aviation grad, I can't stand how uneducated people are when it comes to this kind of stuff. Case and point, SFO crash awhile back where no matter if it was CNN, Fox, you name it, they were reporting pure speculation and provided so much misinformation it was terrible. I have this theory that if you put wings on it or it involves an airport, sheer stupidity ensues.

I think my dream job out of school would have been to been part of an accident investigation team, but there was such little opportunity available when I looked into it around 15 years ago.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Define huge.

Big enough to easily see from the air.

Bigger than what was seen with Air France 447 that crashed off Brazil a few years back.

Of course, one would have to be looking in the right place to begin with.

EXACTLY.

Which is why its curious that so much multinational effort was put into the search when the Malaysian military evidently had radar data DAYS AGO that the plane had flown west.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Well I'm not a pilot, or a lawyer but I've been around for many commercial aircraft mishaps that happened over water and I can't recall any that left no trace at all. There is a lot of stuff on that aircraft the floats for a very long time, including an emergency beacon that supposedly floats and pings as well. If it crashed or blew up some of that material will turn up sooner or later. If not then somebody has a 777 stashed somewhere.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As a lawyer, I wasn't aware that you had a spine, Counselor.... :D

Just giving you grief, sir...

Lawyer joke for you boys...A buddy of mine is a lawyer and I saw him ding a Doctor with this one whilst they where "going at it" so to speak...

Lawyer-Do you know what Lawyers where doing while you Doctors where putting Leeches on George Washington ("Worshington" to those on the River)?

Doctor-I don't know...What?

Lawyer-Writing the Constitution of the United States of America.

It was a show stopper.......

As far as the missing plane I am going with my post 9/11 fall back theory....Islamic Terrorists...They and copius amounts of innocent dead go together like biscuits and gravy...

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Couple theories.....

Lizard People!
    tumblr_m41l4vIR1W1rqs7fyo1_500.jpg

Twilight Zone Theory 1: Man on the wing!
    maxresdefault.jpg

Twilight Zone Theory #2: Time Warp
    hqdefault.jpg

Publicity Stunt Jack Bauer Edition:
    639935-jack_bauer_plane_gun_24_season_5.jpeg

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Does nobody else think we'll see that plane again. I suspect it'll be re-branded as American Airlines and flown in spoofing the transponder signal of an expected plane on a transpacific flight non-stop to somewhere like Chicago. It will be loaded with one of the "non-existent" Iranian nukes, or one of the unaccounted-for former soviet nukes, or some Iranian "less-refined" uranium, or some Syrian chemical weapons, etc. You name it there's lots who don't like us no matter how much borrowed money we throw at them.

The change in course and lack of debris showed the plane likely didn't crash. That means somebody took it. Why? They can't part it out - without maintenance logs the parts are worthless other than for scrap. Yes, lots of scrap, but not worth all the trouble for a bunch of aluminum scrap. Somebody wanted it so that they could re-use it, and they didn't care that there were 200+ passengers they would have to deal with.

That's my theory. Or, maybe I just read too much Tom Clancy. Although he certainly had that whole crashing a plane into a building thing right didn't he.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Bob Woodruff of ABC News posted this to Twitter today:

BihixI6CYAAz_s5.jpg

Also, late this afternoon EDT it was reported that a Chinese satellite found three large pieces of debris (at least 40'x40' in size) south of Vietnam, roughly along the airplane's flight plan course.

oilrigdebrismap.jpg

IFRCHART.jpg

Who knows if the letter is a hoax or not, but I would think locating and verifying those large pieces of debris would happen any time now as they are 12 hours ahead of EDT in Kuala Lampur.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The logistics needed to land a plane that big, fuel it and get it up in the air again with no one noticing is staggering.
    Or else we put too much faith in the ability to track things like airplanes and resources to fly them.

Not knowing anything about commercial flight procedures but people seem to be stuck on the fact that the plane's transponder had to be switched off. Why is there a switch to turn the transponder off while the plane is in flight? Under what conditions would you actually want to fly a commercial airliner with the transponder switched off?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Or else we put too much faith in the ability to track things like airplanes and resources to fly them.

Not knowing anything about commercial flight procedures but people seem to be stuck on the fact that the plane's transponder had to be switched off. Why is there a switch to turn the transponder off while the plane is in flight? Under what conditions would you actually want to fly a commercial airliner with the transponder switched off?

I asked that same thing.....I expect for them to start making it so transponders can't be turned off ever. Also the above post about some wreckage being found by satellite turned out to be 2 boats parked along side each other, so it appears now.

Top Bottom