• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I still want to know why the man was presumed guilty until proven otherwise.

He wasn't presumed guilty, he was presumed to be suspected of carrying a fully automatic gun based upon that one officers experience. In addition, given what the officer stated, another person called who may have said something like "automatic weapon" when describing the incident. All an LEO needs to stop a person suspected of committing a crime is reasonable suspicion. Until a court rules otherwise, there seems to be plenty of RS in this instance. The gun has the same look and appearance of a well known and popular fully-automatic weapon. Another person called them in and may themselves have stated they thought the weapon to be fully automatic. These guns are available to the general public, so there is there no reason to believe this guy couldn't own one given that fact. The detention time frame has to be reasonable, which in this case it was. The officer saw the weapon in plain view, so it could be argued the officer had the right to remove the weapon given for officer safety and the fact it would be considered to having been in plain view and evidence of a criminal act. Upon further inspection, the officer saw this weapon wasn't fully automatic and therefore returned the weapon.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Police work is going to be seriously hampered by this new rule that they can't investigate anything until after a person has been found guilty in court.

Officer! That man stole my purse.
    Sorry, ma'am, he's not doing anything right now, and I can't just ASSUME the purse he's carrying is yours. No, I can't look inside to see your ID, that would mean I'm just assuming he's guilty. Have a nice day.

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    Poor punks. Tried baiting, hoping to catch a jack booted LEO, instead earned themselves an encounter with a level headed, calm and wise officer. He obviously spotted their schtick as soon as he got out of the car, and didn't fall for it. Cudos!

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    he was presumed to be suspected of carrying a fully automatic gun based upon that one officers experience.

How many semi-auto MP5s in various calibers (this was even in 22LR for goodness sakes) are there v. full-autos on the street? About 100-to-1? 1,000-to-1?

His experience tells him this is a full-auto. Ha. This officer's experience must be non-existent.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Poor punks. Tried baiting, hoping to catch a jack booted LEO, instead earned themselves an encounter with a level headed, calm and wise officer. He obviously spotted their schtick as soon as he got out of the car, and didn't fall for it. Cudos!

Didn't fall for it? Looked like he willingly took the bait to me. :dunno:

The politeness of the encounter should not be confused with refusing to take the bait being offered. Fish on.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    How many semi-auto MP5s in various calibers (this was even in 22LR for goodness sakes) are there v. full-autos on the street? About 100-to-1? 1,000-to-1?

His experience tells him this is a full-auto. Ha. This officer's experience must be non-existent.
    You make a very good point. The officers experience tells him that this might be a full auto, must not have very much experience then:dunno:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The whole point is not to allow LEOs to make up law on the spot. That's why we have laws. And that should be the focus here, were the actions of the LEO legal and justified or not.

Exactly right. I'd rep you but I have to spread the rep around.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Didn't fall for it? Looked like he willingly took the bait to me. :dunno:

The politeness of the encounter should not be confused with refusing to take the bait being offered. Fish on.

Exactly.

"Stop baiting police." Well, that's sort of like telling an undercover vice cop to stop baiting johns. If there's nothing bad there to begin with, they can't be baited. If the cops follow the law, they're much less likely to be successfully sued. All they have to do is not break the law.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    All they have to do is not break the law.

That'd be a lot easier if case law wasn't in a constant state of flux, and there wasn't literal metric tons of it on file. Things that were ok yesterday are unconstitutional today because a judge decided that the same Constitution says something different, new laws are passed, etc. Case law that hasn't been dusted off in 50 years may suddenly pop up again.

There is NOBODY in the friggin' country who can keep up with it. Judges get off the bench to go research what a lawyer just told them, and the lawyer had a paralegal scour a law library for it. They can take literal days to research and argue about what a beat cop has about 5 seconds to decide.

Its always easier to criticize than it is to do. I've never crashed an airplane in my life, so I'm an excellent test pilot. Just don't hit the ground, right?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

You make a very good point. The officers experience tells him that this might be a full auto, must not have very much experience then:dunno:

His experience is more likely what his supervisor told him.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    also, "doucebag activist" is a rough term, you should always video record cops, they are recording you. who knows how that would be handled if they were not recording.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    The whole point is not to allow LEOs to make up law on the spot. That's why we have laws. And that should be the focus here, were the actions of the LEO legal and justified or not.

I don't think he was making up the law on the spot. Is it legal to search with out reason? Of course the answer is no. However, if two guys were standing on the street corner close to my house with a rifle And my wife and kid were home alone i would want someone to check them out too. My problem is that they were just standing on the street corner waiting for a confrontation and were smart asses to boot. These are not the kind of people that I want representing me as a gun owner.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    ... if two guys were standing on the street corner close to my house with a rifle And my wife and kid were home alone i would want someone to check them out too.

qft

Even being an open carrier, I would have looked at those guys long and hard had I been driving or walking past. I know that it's allowed so long as within the confines of federal law; but I can legally walk down the sidewalk with a blindfold on, too. Doesn't make it a good idea.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    My problem is that they were just standing on the street corner waiting for a confrontation and were smart asses to boot. These are not the kind of people that I want representing me as a gun owner.

Maybe so, but they were not doing anything illegal. For 2A people, there sure seem to be a lot of advocates here for stopping people from doing something that "you don't like," even though it is legal.

Does that remind you of anyone?

Top Bottom