• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    as some of you mite know i am pretty new to reloading. well, i got my first taste of some soft point 55 gr flat base 223 bullets. they absolutely suck imo to reload.but i still had fun doing it. which brings me to a question is there a trick to reloading these little demons?:n00b::dunno:

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you mean its difficult to seat the bullet...I found using a pair of needle nose pliers helps to bell the case mouth enough to seat the bullet to run it into the bullet seating die without it falling off or crushing the case mouth.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Yep an inside/outside case mouth deburring tool is a great investment. I think mine's a Wilson, but I know RCBS sells a similar one. i use it for removing militay primer crimps as well. Another thing you may want to try, especially if you ever plan to load cast bullets is a Lee universal case mouth flaring tool. It's got two sizes of inserts and you can adjust it to put the slightest of flares on your case. Not normally done with bottle necked rifle cases but it may be worht it to avoid damaging your bullt's bases.

Doug K

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used to reload flat base cast bullets in rifles, mostly 30/30, 45/70 and 30-06. Some were plain base, some were gas check type. There is a die made for this use. It kisses the case mouth and puts a little bit of bell on it, like the second die of a pistol set. Mine were made by Lyman. Nothing wrong with a flat based bullet, if you look at ballistics charts, they really do not give up much to a boat tail inside of 350 yards. Flat based bullets will also generally shoot better in a worn out barrel. good luck

Top Bottom