• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have called my wife and parents after passing a cop sitting running traffic, if I know they will be driving through... I dont warn other motorists, as I dont know who I am protecting that way. Maybe that officer will initiate a traffic stop and take 5 pounds of pot out of the hands of a drug dealer, or find a violent felon in possession of items he/she should not be in possession of. Or maybe that officer will be going through FTO and get his first boot on the neck of an innocent subject, err I mean citizen.

What makes people think that an infraction like speeding or a burned out light should give cops the go-ahead to check you out and make sure everything else you are doing is legal?

Oh that's right, conditioning.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'm totally against "warning" anyone. Slow down foos. Especially if you're on Hwy 60 from Borden to Salem... and quit trying to pass on the double yella.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Sorry, but the courts have ruled that the use of high beams to warn oncoming traffic is protected under the first amendment.

Flashing high beams is not the same as not dimming when there is oncoming traffic.

I had to flash the high beams on my motorcycle one night to warn a car coming the opposite direction that they should be aware of the deer in the median.

Yes, cite please?

I remember a thread where one of our INGO police officers had written a citation for use of flashing lights when a driver was warning others of a speed trap. His IC:

IC 9-21-7-11
    Flashing lights
    Sec. 11. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a vehicle may not display flashing lights.
    (b) Flashing lights may be displayed on a vehicle as follows:
    (1) On an authorized emergency vehicle.
    (2) On a school bus.
    (3) On snow-removal equipment.
    (4) As a means of indicating a right or left turn.
    (5) As a means of indicating the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.
    (6) On a vehicle used in a funeral procession.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9. Amended by P.L.80-2012, SEC.4.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    What does 5 over do for you? Are you just trying to stick it to da man?:):

I don't "stick it" to other men, that is not my persuasion.

Seriously though, I've just never been stopped going that speed anywhere i drive frequently, therefore I'm not worried about getting stopped for speeding by the five-o, even if there is a speed trap.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Yes, cite please?

I remember a thread where one of our INGO police officers had written a citation for use of flashing lights when a driver was warning others of a speed trap. His IC:

IC 9-21-7-11
    Flashing lights
    Sec. 11. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a vehicle may not display flashing lights.
    (b) Flashing lights may be displayed on a vehicle as follows:
    (1) On an authorized emergency vehicle.
    (2) On a school bus.
    (3) On snow-removal equipment.
    (4) As a means of indicating a right or left turn.
    (5) As a means of indicating the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.
    (6) On a vehicle used in a funeral procession.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9. Amended by P.L.80-2012, SEC.4.

I think (5) covers it pretty well ;)

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Our fine public servants in St John sit in an unmarked car in front of a church on Sunday morning writing speeding tickets to church goers....don't ever spend a nickel in St John...worst money grubbing police force in IN by far!

So church goers are above the law?

What makes people think that an infraction like speeding or a burned out light should give cops the go-ahead to check you out and make sure everything else you are doing is legal?

If it gets the guy with the bottle of booze next to him that he just finished off the street I'm fine with it.

If you haven't done anything wrong, what do you have to worry about?

I'm totally against "warning" anyone. Slow down foos. Especially if you're on Hwy 60 from Borden to Salem... and quit trying to pass on the double yella.

This.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't really have this problem. I just do 5 over and haven't been stopped for speeding in 9 years. :dunno:

I've had two speeding tickets in the past ten years. Both when I know for a fact I was doing the speed limit (confirmed by GPS) and had been for a while, and both were for 10 over. Just because you don't speed much doesn't mean you won't get stuck in a revenue enhancement zone or get the officer who is going to get stuck having sarge ride along if they don't write enough tickets as my gf had more than once.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So church goers are above the law?

If it gets the guy with the bottle of booze next to him that he just finished off the street I'm fine with it.

If you haven't done anything wrong, what do you have to worry about?

This.
    So, if they just want to stop you and search your vehicle and your person you are OK with that? What about your house?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    So, if they just want to stop you and search your vehicle and your person you are OK with that? What about your house?

No warrant = no search.

I also (presumably) wouldn't have done anything (major) wrong. I wouldn't be fidgeting, trying to hide things, slurring my speak, burning a 12 pack of incense to cover up the smell of the dead body in the trunk, etc.

It didn't type out exactly like I meant it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I remember reading about a woman that had been carjacked, and kidnapped. The BG her driving. The woman flashed her lights at passing patrol car, and the officer ended up pulling over the car and saving the woman.

So, if I'm "flashed," I always pull over the person, just in case.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So, if I'm "flashed," I always pull over the person, just in case.

A number of years ago, a rather well endowed red-head flashed me as the semi she was riding shot gun in passed me...I didn't couldn't pull her over, so I sped up in case there was an encore!
    :laugh:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Roger that on the double-yellow passing. 60 has enough passing zones that there is no way I'd try to pass in.

Are there still an awful lot of State Troopers in that area? Back in the day Biddle and Elmore got there names in the Salem Leader (for giving out tickets) more than the editor and writers did.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A number of years ago, a rather well endowed red-head flashed me as the semi she was riding shot gun in passed me...I didn't couldn't pull her over, so I sped up in case there was an encore!
    :laugh:

Nice! My grandpa was a truck driver. He never told me any stories like that.
    (but then again, he was Deacon too)

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010

Running a 10-27 (drivers license check) is Standard Procedure for pretty much every dept. Can only think of one time that I was stopped that I didnt have to provide a license, but thats a story for another day.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Running a 10-27 (drivers license check) is Standard Procedure for pretty much every dept. Can only think of one time that I was stopped that I didnt have to provide a license, but thats a story for another day.

You mentioned other items in the vehicle so I presumed there was a search/confiscation involved. Not too many pot dealers leave it lyin on the seat and willingly hand it over without being asked :D

Top Bottom