• ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Illegal? No.

However, folks have been charged with "interfering with law enforcement". Remember, it isn't about safety (telling drivers to stick the the posted speed).

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I got a warning ticket in Saint John for improper use of high beams around 10 years ago for warning on coming cars about the trap I just passed. This was at nite. One of the people I was warning was another cop.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Its much better to stick your rearend out the window. It gets everyones attention. Nobody will dare speed past you and find out the hard way that their is a copper ahead shootin KU radar waves down the road. Rock the moon like a pro! :rockwoot:

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    While warning other motorists of a speed trap is perfectly legal, other posters correctly point out that use of high beams is a violation of the vehicle code. But courts have held standing at the roadside with signs, posting on blogs and the like is protected speech.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Sorry, but the courts have ruled that the use of high beams to warn oncoming traffic is protected under the first amendment.

Flashing high beams is not the same as not dimming when there is oncoming traffic.

I had to flash the high beams on my motorcycle one night to warn a car coming the opposite direction that they should be aware of the deer in the median.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    During the day I flash my hi beams
    During the night I use my hazard lights and triple tap my brakes*TF.
    If you flash an oncoming motorist at night, they wont think " oh a speed trap "
    They will think, WHAT THE HELL IS HIS PROBLEM! I'm going to flash him back!!!!!!!

Last edited:

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    You should install fog lights if your vehicle didn't come with them. Flash them to your heart's content. I can not think of a code violation that you can be charged with.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    During the day I flash my hi beams
    During the night I use my hazard lights and triple tap my breaks.
    If you flash an oncoming motorist at night, they wont think " oh a speed trap "
    They will think, WHAT THE HELL IS HIS PROBLEM! I'm going to flash him back!!!!!!!

*brakes

You should install fog lights if your vehicle didn't come with them. Flash them to your heart's content. I can not think of a code violation that you can be charged with.

:yesway:

Good info.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Sorry, but the courts have ruled that the use of high beams to warn oncoming traffic is protected under the first amendment.

Flashing high beams is not the same as not dimming when there is oncoming traffic.

I had to flash the high beams on my motorcycle one night to warn a car coming the opposite direction that they should be aware of the deer in the median.

Link?

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Our fine public servants in St John sit in an unmarked car in front of a church on Sunday morning writing speeding tickets to church goers....don't ever spend a nickel in St John...worst money grubbing police force in IN by far!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I have called my wife and parents after passing a cop sitting running traffic, if I know they will be driving through... I dont warn other motorists, as I dont know who I am protecting that way. Maybe that officer will initiate a traffic stop and take 5 pounds of pot out of the hands of a drug dealer, or find a violent felon in possession of items he/she should not be in possession of. Or maybe that officer will be going through FTO and get his first boot on the neck of an innocent subject, err I mean citizen.

Top Bottom