• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Aug 24, 2008
    I run several PWS comps they work great as well i run surefires model too

as Rhino was saying alot has to due with alot so to speak

I had agun that was rigged up for matches 16 inch midlength low mass bolt different buffer weights playeed with and comps till i found that magic combo yeah it was cool but not needed...... it was fun playing with it then i went back to carbine length guns and pws.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Any opinions on the old style 3 prong flashiders? I figured it could also be handy in a SHTF scenario cause my uncle told me when he was in the Army they would use them to cut barbed wire to get through a fence.

nighthawk80

Master
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    couldn't wait on UPS so I went to elmores today and picked up a PWS FSC556 which is the DNTC comp with a vortex flash hider on it. I haven't got to shoot it yet and its going to cory tomorrow for a camo job. but will give you a range report asap. and evan if you want to shoot it just let me know and we can go to martinsville.

SNC00094.jpg

SNC00095.jpg

SNC00097.jpg

That is what comes standard on an FN Scar.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, someone has been hanging out with Reed Knight and/or his engineers. :D

So what you're saying is, the guy who said a rifle length gas system makes the most difference (earlier in this topic) was actually right? :patriot:

The Patrick Kelley article is ok, but you must consider that he took that data firing from the shoulder. The human shoulder is not repeatable and of course everyone is different, so I wouldn't take those results as the gospel on compensator performance. A different technique or shooter could easily paint a different picture and skew those results. Muzzle rise and yaw are directly proportional to the rearward movement of the gun when fired from the shoulder. All the stuff about compensator tuning is really a band-aid, and not a fix for the root problem, the rearward movement of the gun.

The two events that have the most influence on recoil are the muzzle blast and the operating group impacting the receiver. Compensators do a good job of reducing the muzzle blast component, but do nothing against the internal impacts. Slowing down the operating group reduces the impact, no big surprise there. A rifle-length gas system typically produces the slowest carrier velocities of all the AR gas systems and therefore typically has the least recoil of them all. Having the longer barrel needed for the rifle-length gas system also reduces the muzzle blast, reducing that component of recoil as well.

bigcraig

Master
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Nathan, PKs data was with the rifle solidly mounted to a bench rest of some sort, so he took the "shooter" out of the loop. However, you and I both know that people are different and technique plays a lot into muzzle rise.

Personally, I feel if a muzzle device improves your shooting, use it. I am not too concerned about flash suppression nor side blast, especially on any of my ARs that have 16" barrels or longer. I do however find shooting my SBR unsuppressed downright uncivilized and LOUD, REALLY LOUD. That is why my SBR will more than likley never be shot without the suppressor attached.

My next 16" AR will utilize the midlength gas system and a PWS FSC556.

The Patrick Kelley article is ok, but you must consider that he took that data firing from the shoulder. The human shoulder is not repeatable and of course everyone is different, so I wouldn't take those results as the gospel on compensator performance. A different technique or shooter could easily paint a different picture and skew those results. Muzzle rise and yaw are directly proportional to the rearward movement of the gun when fired from the shoulder. All the stuff about compensator tuning is really a band-aid, and not a fix for the root problem, the rearward movement of the gun.

The two events that have the most influence on recoil are the muzzle blast and the operating group impacting the receiver. Compensators do a good job of reducing the muzzle blast component, but do nothing against the internal impacts. Slowing down the operating group reduces the impact, no big surprise there. A rifle-length gas system typically produces the slowest carrier velocities of all the AR gas systems and therefore typically has the least recoil of them all. Having the longer barrel needed for the rifle-length gas system also reduces the muzzle blast, reducing that component of recoil as well.

Top Bottom