• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    First of all allow me to state up front that, I WILL IN NO WAY BE ATTEMPTING TO FIRE A SHOT SHELL FROM THIS DEVICE. TO DO SO WOULD BE DANGEROUS AND EXTREMELY ILLEGAL.
    What I am wondering though is: can a shell cracker (The Original Shellcracker) or a flash bang (Ammunition To Go : 9rds - 12 Gauge Flash Bang Ammo [ALS1208] - $67.95) be fired from one of these
    Flare Gun Surplus : German Flare Signal Pistols are on sale now!
    Without loss of life or limb?

The CAPA launcher featured here looks an awful lot like a flare gun.
    Margo Supplies Ltd - CAPA Launchers & Cartridges

Flame on

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've never tried it, but I would say "NO". Those are 12 guage rounds designed to be fired in a shotgun. They take into account the shotgun chambers and barrels which are designed to withstand certain pressures. The flare gun that you have listed would first require a 12 ga. insert, and I am fairly certain would not be able to withstand the pressures of a standard 12 ga. shotgun round.

If I remember corectly (oh man, am I opening myself up to flames here) the last time I watched Sarah Palin's Alaska (yes, I admitted to it) there was a spot where they were going camping with Kate Goslin. They went to the gun range and tried some of the Flashbang rounds for scaring off bears. It looked like they had about the same amount of recoil as a regular 12 ga. round, maybe more.

Maybe a dumb question - why not just shoot these out of a shotgun?

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    Currently, the plan is to use a single shot so the barrel can be inspected after each round. The CAPA launcher got me thinkin' about the flare gun. If the rounds are loaded with black powder I was thinking that maybe the pressures would be lower.

Why would I want to spend that much on a grenade launcher when a $125 shotty will do the job? What would I mount it on?

A flare gun would be infinitely easier to drag out of the truck 20 times a night as opposed to a long gun.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Unfortunately, killing them is not an option. The public wants the crows gone but they go insane if you hurt them.

pep's don't know the crow.....if you pop a couple nail them to a tree and there buddy's see them hangin' they will exit the area......pops,bangs and fireworks just run them off for a short time.......there smart they know what death is and they don't like it......and another thing......if all the trash in the area was lidded and keep up......no food and they'll move on....

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    CAUTION: It is dangerous to fire the ShellCracker from a molded plastic
    flare pistol, or in a gun with a chamber shorter than 2 3/4 inches. Do not use
    the ShellCracker in a gun with a barrel shorter than 20 inches.

Never mind, I'll stick with the single shot 12 gauge.

Fireman610

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Down by the River
    Local Airport has these nifty lil things fired from a shotgun. Basically you Ricochet if off the ground it bounces airborne Shrills Super Super 1 more Super Loud while emitting a bright red flare and then it goes BOOM and shoots out Bright white firework like streamers. They also just shoot them up into the air aswell. Never understood the richocet technique seems like it goes more out of control that way ... but I could see where it would catch their attn better too

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Have you done a search for Bird Bangers or Bird Bombs? Before 9/11, Bird Bombs could be found at the Indy 1500 for $50 for 50 shells. A launcher with .22 blanks was extra. The Bangers are still available I think, but the Bombs require some paperwork for the BATFE. If you buy the launcher, they have a built in propellant that will launch them a decent distance which will be followed by a loud report and flash. They also have whistler shells. I bought some back then, and let me assure you, these things are LOUD! Plus, no worries about exploding barrels or spent rounds down range. Look for "Wildlife Control Devices". If yo don't want a launcher, you can always buy some cannon fuse and DIY...

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Mr 37mm

Mr 37mm sells flare adapters to shoot 12 gauge flares. He also sells 12 gauge adapters to shoot regular 12 gauge ammo out of a 37mm device. However if you choose to shoot regular 12 gauge ammo out of a 37mm not only must the device be strong enough it must be registered as a DD "Destructive Device" with the BATFE.

Just hearsay on my part but I thought that the 12 gauge flare adapters were made to not accept regular 12 gauge ammo only flares.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I'm gonna order some of the bangers, whistlers and a launcher as well.
    Pyrotechnics for Bird and Wildlife Control
    Better launchers
    Margo Supplies Ltd - Pyrotechnical Revolver Launchers Launchers
    Tell me what you think that CAPA launcher looks like? I called them about the "4 caliber" description.
    Margo Supplies Ltd - CAPA Launchers & Cartridges
    Pyrotechnic Launchers to Scare Birds & Wildlife

37MM?
    37mm M79 Launcher and Ammo

Got the propane cannon too.
    LP Gas Cannons

BTW, if you are wondering what this is all about; I've been given permission by the city leaders to harass crows inside of city limits. We could have as many as 50,000 birds downtown.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom