• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Yes but are you trying to imitate these knives? Are you trying to figure out a way to roll these knives into your own design?

I am certainly not trying to reinvent the wheel. Since I am new to the forum, and it is the "Cutting Edge", I had not seen this topic in the archives.
    I wanted to start a new topic that might be of interest to others and what makes them want to purchase a certain style of knife. I know nothing
    about folders except for the ones that I have owned. So, I didn't ask that type of question. I was always taught, "ya can't learn if ya don't ask questions".
    My interest is in fixed blades, especially custom made. I think the knives that you purchase and sell are great pieces with reputable reputations.
    By no means am I trying to imitate, that why I ask questions to possibly come up with something new in the future that a production knife doesn't offer.
    I hope this explanation eases your curiosity.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I am certainly not trying to reinvent the wheel. Since I am new to the forum, and it is the "Cutting Edge", I had not seen this topic in the archives.
    I wanted to start a new topic that might be of interest to others and what makes them want to purchase a certain style of knife. I know nothing
    about folders except for the ones that I have owned. So, I didn't ask that type of question. I was always taught, "ya can't learn if ya don't ask questions".
    My interest is in fixed blades, especially custom made. I think the knives that you purchase and sell are great pieces with reputable reputations.
    By no means am I trying to imitate, that why I ask questions to possibly come up with something new in the future that a production knife doesn't offer.
    I hope this explanation eases your curiosity.

I believe using the word imitate was a poor word choice and I certainly was not trying to offend. I was trying to understand your process and how it can help you with making a custom knife. As for me myself there are certain models I look at that I like but there might be a change I would make so I would like it even better. If I could make knives, which I can't, I would take what I like in several knives and make some changes to those models to customize it my way and make it my knife to sell, which is exactly what I am in the process of doing. It is not as easy as it sounds that's for sure. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Last edited:

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    How are they leading ???

You've explained yourself quite well. I guess I didn't understand.

The biggest problem with trying to determine which knife is best is that it requires personal experience. With a custom knife you can choose a design you like and ask the maker for modifications based upon your experiences with other knives. This of course requires the "experience" which you can not get without carrying and using a variety of knives. Input from others can help you in making your decision, but again, there will be just as many opinions as there are knife manufacturers...if not more. Cost plays an important part in the purchase of the "right" knife too. A number of years ago I was hunting with a buddy of mine. He harvested a deer and was field dressing it with a stanley knife that he swiped from work. It wasn't the knife he wanted to use, but it was the knife he could afford. Some people may understand what I am saying here....I've had occasion to know what it means to truly hunt for meat...which means there isnt much money left for anything else. I can remember carrying a modified "Old Hickory" kitchen knife to use in the field. And to tell you the truth, I still have it, and it is just as good a knife as any. It just doesn't look all that cool when your comparing your "stuff" with your buddies.
    As for imitating and refining the designs of others...let's face it, knives have been around for a good long time. You would be hard pressed to design something completely new and revolutionary to the knife world...though it occasionally happens to some extent.

My advice to you Troy is this; make up a bunch of knives using designs that you like as prototypes (since you are a maker). Carry each of them on a rotational basis for which ever need you might have. This is going to require you having the knife strapped on for more than just a run into town for gas.
    I've done it, and found out that there are things that I like or don't like regarding a design from usage. It might be as simple as the way the knife is carried in which case may mean the knife is fine but the way in which it is carried is less than desirable.
    Strap on a knife...mow the grass, weed the flower patch, split some wood, or take a walk. This whole pot is going to boil down to experience.
    I'm sure you can make up some knives and pass them out and get some feed back on their pro's and con's. But you will never know until the knife is on your hip and you reach for it without thinking. Because you're a knife guy...and you can.

*Dismounting soap box now...*

The views and commentary of this poster do not reflect the views of INGO
    Must be 18yrs and up
    Disregard grammatical errors
    Some assembly required
    Batteries not included
    Keep out of the reach of children
    Always read and follow instructions
    Old McDonald had a farm
    Are you still reading this?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The German knife on top is a beauty! What is the blade length?

Ok, I will start the pixs.
    This is the one that has gone with me to every camping trip when I was a scout then as my son's leader
    Schmidt & Ziegler Soligen Germany Circ. 60's
    pcq0.jpg

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    I believe using the word imitate was a poor word choice and I certainly was not trying to offend.

You did NOT offend me nor did I take it offensive. Let me explain my position better. I am an avid pool player and used to own 2 different pool rooms and pro shops.
    I sold many, many different production cues. From the cheaper models to the very expensive ones. When a person walked in, I ALWAYS looked at what type of cues
    they were playing with. This could tell me ALOT about the type of player and usually the caliper of one. A cue is a cue, and a knife is a knife. They all have the same
    components. A tip (point), shaft (blade), joint(bolster/guard), handle, and an end plate. Very similar. Production cues vary just like knife companies. Cues companies
    have McDermott, Viking, Meucci where as knives have ESEE, Strider, and Benchmade. All are fantastic companies that have proven themselves in their respective fields.
    All have varying styles, prices, and bells/whistles. But when it comes down to it, they are all made on a production line by machines. That doesn't take anything away
    from the quality or value, it is what it is.

Now, my perspective. I have many production cues but nothing feels and looks like a "custom" cue. When someone would walk in and start playing with a custom cue,
    heads started turning and you could always hear ... "What kind of cue is that, who made it, tell me more about it ... ". I own 2 one-of-a-kind custom cues that when I
    pull them out, I am approached by many players wanting to see it and even hold it and talk about it. I know there are companies out there that "imitate" my cues, but
    I have the true custom model. There is no better feeling knowing that a person spent days, weeks,
    and even months creating that piece and YOU own it. The maker knows that his/her hard work went into that persons life and became a part of them.
    This is my thoughts now about knives. I might not ever be able to create a knife that is new, original, or ground breaking... but, someday when someone is holding one
    of my knives, they will know that I made it from "love" of the craft and now they own it and will be a part of their lives.

Think of it as ESEE calling you and saying "We have been designing this knife, it kinda looks like some of our others, but it will be the only one we make like it and we want
    you to have it". How cool would that be !!! Every time you showed that knife to someone, it has now becomes a part of you and your story. That is my definition of "custom".

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    The biggest problem with trying to determine which knife is best is that it requires personal experience. With a custom knife you can choose a design you like and ask the maker for modifications based upon your experiences with other knives. This of course requires the "experience" which you can not get without carrying and using a variety of knives. Input from others can help you in making your decision, but again, there will be just as many opinions as there are knife manufacturers...if not more. Cost plays an important part in the purchase of the "right" knife too. A number of years ago I was hunting with a buddy of mine. He harvested a deer and was field dressing it with a stanley knife that he swiped from work. It wasn't the knife he wanted to use, but it was the knife he could afford. Some people may understand what I am saying here....I've had occasion to know what it means to truly hunt for meat...which means there isnt much money left for anything else. I can remember carrying a modified "Old Hickory" kitchen knife to use in the field. And to tell you the truth, I still have it, and it is just as good a knife as any. It just doesn't look all that cool when your comparing your "stuff" with your buddies.
    As for imitating and refining the designs of others...let's face it, knives have been around for a good long time. You would be hard pressed to design something completely new and revolutionary to the knife world...though it occasionally happens to some extent.

My advice to you Troy is this; make up a bunch of knives using designs that you like as prototypes (since you are a maker). Carry each of them on a rotational basis for which ever need you might have. This is going to require you having the knife strapped on for more than just a run into town for gas.
    I've done it, and found out that there are things that I like or don't like regarding a design from usage. It might be as simple as the way the knife is carried in which case may mean the knife is fine but the way in which it is carried is less than desirable.
    Strap on a knife...mow the grass, weed the flower patch, split some wood, or take a walk. This whole pot is going to boil down to experience.
    I'm sure you can make up some knives and pass them out and get some feed back on their pro's and con's. But you will never know until the knife is on your hip and you reach for it without thinking. Because you're a knife guy...and you can.

*Dismounting soap box now...*

Lagrange - You are SPOT ON !!! Thank you for taking the amount of time it took you to write this! A lot of great insight and wisdom in your words.
    I plan on taking your advice on many levels and making them a part of my routines.

I again thank EVERYONE who has responded to this thread. A lot of insight has been made and I hope to use all this in the future.
    I hope many more will keep responding to learn more about YOUR uses, likes and dislikes.

Thank you INGO for this forum !!!

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I have been seeing from the posts
    that most stay in the "production" lines, does anyone delve into the custom lines such
    as; Wheeler, kc customs, HHH, Bradshaw, Big Chris ... etc ?

I've had a few HHH Damascus blades in folders......nice stuff for sure.

I prefer a fixed blade that is semi-custom/custom. It doesn't need to break the bank. Tops, Kabar, Esee, etc. all make great knives that work for a majority of consumers......and their warranties are top notch. I've slowly gotten away from the production fixed blades as my taste has changed. Some would call it a sickness lol. I'm alright with it :) Like i said earlier, check out what Andy Roy at Fiddleback Forge is doing. Great stuff.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When in the military and on base I always carried a Gerber Mk1 & 2 and a Cold Steel Tanto...just because they wouldn't let us carry firearms.

Top Bottom