• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Have seen this a couple of places out on the web, thought I'd post 'em here and see what ya'll think. Not so sure about #4, but that's just me.

• Your concealed handgun is for protection of life only.
    Draw it solely in preparation to protect yourself or an innocent third party from the wrongful and life-threatening criminal actions of another.
    • Know exactly when you can use your gun.
    A criminal adversary must have, or reasonably appear to have:

1. the ability to inflict serious bodily injury (he is armed or reasonably appears to be armed with a deadly weapon),

[*]
      the opportunity to inflict serious bodily harm (he is physically positioned to harm you with his weapon), and

[*]
      his intent (hostile actions or words) indicates that he means to place you in jeopardy -- to do you serious or fatal physical harm.
    When all three of these "attack potential" elements are in place simultaneously, then you are facing a reasonably perceived deadly threat that can justify an emergency deadly force response.

• [*]
      If you can run away -- RUN!
    Just because you’re armed doesn’t necessarily mean you must confront a bad guy at gunpoint. Develop your "situation awareness" skills so you can be alert to detect and avoid trouble altogether. Keep in mind that if you successfully evade a potential confrontation, the single negative consequence involved might be your bruised ego, which should heal with mature rationalization. But if you force a confrontation you risk the possibility of you or a family member being killed or suffering lifelong crippling/disfiguring physical injury, criminal liability and/or financial ruin from civil lawsuit. Flee if you can, fight only as a last resort.

• [*]
      Display your gun, go to jail.
    You should expect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed handgun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional or innocent or justified the situation might seem. Choose a method of carry that keeps your gun reliably hidden from public view at all times.
    You have no control over how a stranger will react to seeing (or learning about) your concealed handgun. He or she might become alarmed and report you to police as a "man or woman with a gun." Depending on his or her feelings about firearms, this person might be willing to maliciously embellish his or her story in attempt to have your gun seized by police or to get you arrested. An alarmed citizen who reports a "man with a gun" is going to be more credible to police than you when you're stopped because you match the suspect's description, and you're found to have a concealed handgun in your possession.
    Before you deliberately expose your gun in public, ask yourself: "Is this worth going to jail for?" The only time this question should warrant a "yes" response is when an adversary has at least, both ability and intent, and is actively seeking the opportunity to do you great harm.

• [*]
      Don't let your emotions get the best of you.
    If, despite your best efforts to the contrary, you do get into some kind of heated dispute with another person while you’re armed, never mention, imply or exhibit your gun for the purpose of intimidation or one-upmanship. You’ll simply make a bad situation worse -- for yourself (see rule #4).

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The "Display Your Gun, Go to Jail" rule does not apply to Indaina where Open Carry is allowed. However in FL where only Concealed Carry is allowed that is the case.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The "Display Your Gun, Go to Jail" rule does not apply to Indaina where Open Carry is allowed. However in FL where only Concealed Carry is allowed that is the case.

If you inadvertently flash you won't go to jail. You will get your CWL taken away on the spot and get a fined... if the cop is anti-2a, pro-2a will just give you a stern talking to. No jail for simple exposure.

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    If you inadvertently flash you won't go to jail. You will get your CWL taken away on the spot and get a fined... if the cop is anti-2a, pro-2a will just give you a stern talking to. No jail for simple exposure.
    Whats a CWL? or are you elaborating on his Florida reference?

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I believe the rules were authored by this blogger:
    Xavier Thoughts

Some of his rules are not strictly legal requirements - at least not everywhere.

For instance, the rule "for protection of life only." Some states allow a citizen to intervene using lethal force to stop the commission of any felony crime.

So Xavier's rule may not actually be the law in some places, but it may still be pretty good practical advice in a lot of cases. I'd be willing to use lethal force to stop someone from being raped, for example. But I'm not sure I'd shoot someone to keep an Ipod from being stolen. As a matter of pure justice, sure, I don't think it's wrong to shoot a thief. But as a practical matter, am I willing to potentially have to face a police interrogation, impounding of my gun, possibly have to defend myself in court, at the cost of thousands of dollars, immense stress, and hours, days, and weeks of my time? Probably not to protect an Ipod.

Display your gun, go to jail is similar. That may not be the law in Indiana, but I think if you draw your gun on someone you are very likely to wind up having to explain yourself to the police and may be detained for some time.

Same with the duty to retreat. Many states have the castle doctrine, stand your ground, and other such laws that negate the duty to retreat. However, it may still in many cases be the best practical advice to retreat.

jerrysbad

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    There are times and places where opening the jacket so a weapon can be seen has caused certain undesirables to retreat back in their doorways and cause no trouble. there certainly would have been a mugging or worse had It not been seen.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    #2 on the second is a bit off...

The part in parenthesis is not correct. They don't HAVE to have (or appear to have) a weapon for lethal force to be justified. It is all dependent on disparity of force.

If I'm 6'6" and weigh 220lbs and some confused 90yo man comes at me with a butter knife, I can't shoot him.

If I am a 100lb 90yo man and a 20yo punk of just about any size comes at me with fists, lethal force is probably justified.

Many people have been beaten to death with no weapons at all. If you are in a situation where someone can do that to you (or cause severe injury), you didn't instigate it, and you can't get away, then lethal force is most likely justified.

Me personally, I'm 5'6" and weigh 150lbs... most dudes are bigger than me and I am not a kung-fu master. If I can run, I will. However I won't allow myself to get beaten to a pulp just so the guy can find my gun and shoot me with it as I lay bleeding on the sidewalk. I am a polite person who gives no reason for someone to come after me, if it happens, it was unprovoked.

Of course the prosecutor and jury get the final say.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    #2 on the second is a bit off...

The part in parenthesis is not correct. They don't HAVE to have (or appear to have) a weapon for lethal force to be justified. It is all dependent on disparity of force.

If I'm 6'6" and weigh 220lbs and some confused 90yo man comes at me with a butter knife, I can't shoot him.

If I am a 100lb 90yo man and a 20yo punk of just about any size comes at me with fists, lethal force is probably justified.

Many people have been beaten to death with no weapons at all. If you are in a situation where someone can do that to you (or cause severe injury), you didn't instigate it, and you can't get away, then lethal force is most likely justified.

Me personally, I'm 5'6" and weigh 150lbs... most dudes are bigger than me and I am not a kung-fu master. If I can run, I will. However I won't allow myself to get beaten to a pulp just so the guy can find my gun and shoot me with it as I lay bleeding on the sidewalk. I am a polite person who gives no reason for someone to come after me, if it happens, it was unprovoked.

Of course the prosecutor and jury get the final say.

Yup good point about disparity of force :yesway:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Remember that these are not codes and seem to have originated from a writer in a CC only state.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Display your gun, go to jail.

You should expect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed handgun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional or innocent or justified the situation might seem. Choose a method of carry that keeps your gun reliably hidden from public view at all times.
    You have no control over how a stranger will react to seeing (or learning about) your concealed handgun. He or she might become alarmed and report you to police as a "man or woman with a gun." Depending on his or her feelings about firearms, this person might be willing to maliciously embellish his or her story in attempt to have your gun seized by police or to get you arrested. An alarmed citizen who reports a "man with a gun" is going to be more credible to police than you when you're stopped because you match the suspect's description, and you're found to have a concealed handgun in your possession.
    Before you deliberately expose your gun in public, ask yourself: "Is this worth going to jail for?" The only time this question should warrant a "yes" response is when an adversary has at least, both ability and intent, and is actively seeking the opportunity to do you great harm.

I'll continue to not give a **** what other people think about me open carrying. The law says I can and perpetuating nonsense on this state-related board is a misstep.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I'll continue to not give a **** what other people think about me open carrying. The law says I can and perpetuating nonsense on this state-related board is a misstep.

Open Carry = good. The original poster made it clear that #4 was suspect. Otherwise, this is good info to think about. Posts like this helped me out a lot when I first thought about carrying.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    My rules for carrying:

1.) HAVE a gun

2.) HAVE some ammo

3.) CARRY your gun...preferably with ammo in it

4.) CARRY the way you want open or concealed depending on your state

5.) Pay specific attention to Rule 1

Top Bottom