• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Been fishing out of a Yak for the last 2 years, this year, I'm trying to save my poor back.

11263104_10152920526883528_8572040524741316087_n.jpg
    Those boats are sweet for calm water. I had one for a couple years and let it go this spring. Moved to a big Jon. I prefer to fish rivers and needed some more space to stretch out.

Broke the new rig out with five large mouth and a big gill on a crank bait. Lot of fun!

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I saw several nice gills on nests in Painted Hills (Morgan Co.) last week. Unfortunately, I was working not fishing.

Went to a good sized creek in Morgan county this past Friday. 2 of us caught 2 channel cats, 4 and 2lbs. One big soft shell turtle too.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    I saw several nice gills on nests in Painted Hills (Morgan Co.) last week. Unfortunately, I was working not fishing.

Went to a good sized creek in Morgan county this past Friday. 2 of us caught 2 channel cats, 4 and 2lbs. One big soft shell turtle too.

Painted hills is swamped with yellow belly cats. Nice lake though. If you ever want some good smallmouth fishing white lick creek has some good holes, I use a shiner lure and pull some nice ones out of the deep holes and the rougher water areas.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Is it legal to wade white lick creek? Where do you get in? I love to fish and wade in particular, but it seems most places I see aren't legal :-(

thanks
    Jason

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    oh ya, actually been stopped by dnr and had him check my license and tell me where a good deep hole was. I get off at 42 in mooresville, theres a pull off. if wade southward towards the 67 bridge theres a 7 or 8 foot hole under the bridge, good smallmouth hole. I've also heard there's spoonbill catfish in there (never even heard of one til he showed me a picture online) but i fish for smallmouth so i wouldnt know.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    thank you. I've seen a spoonbill at Bass pro in cinci I think. Weird looking fish. I love to wade but it seems hard to find places to go. I like over by Turkey run quite a bit. But it's a bit of a haul from where I live. How about wading north from 42. Looking at google earth that looks interesting up that way too.

Jason

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    I've never been fishing around turkey run, haven't been there for years is it any good? And ya, wading north has some nice spots, but if I were gonna do that I'd get off in plainfield, by Hummel park and wade southward...but I use shiner lures so I like to reel the lure against the current to give it a better effect.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Went yesterday about 3;30pm it was still drizzling rain till about 4 or 4;30 then it stopped... Caught about 20 and kept 12 nice gills from westwood outside new castle... It was a little windy but still a good day for 3.5hrs... Took my new Coleman 2 man loving it ..

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I usually wade upstream that's why I was wondering. I waded from the park in Plainfield a few years ago and was told I wasn't allowed in the river there. So I haven't been back. Turkey run is amazing. The bottom of the river there is different. Shallow on the sides and deep in the middle. Lots of nice fish and scenery over there.

Jason

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Wow, who told you that you wasn't allowed in the stream there? It's all public waters there, not 1 no fishing sign anywhere around... somebody just didn't want you there is sounds like...I've fished there for years as its 2 minutes from my house. I'd love to take a trip back to turkey run, if it's how I remember it that place is gorgeous!

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    It was one of the park employees up there. It was right near the cool bridge and then I headed south. Not only could I not wade there, I wasn't supposed to fish in that river there. They have a pond over there somewhere to fish in. Not like I was catching anything anyway. But still annoying.

Jason

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Never heard that before, I checked into laws on streams a while back just to make sure I couldn't trespass while doing so, and the way the law is written it says all Indiana streams and rivers are public and legal to wade, and there's a easement (don't remember how many feet) off both sides of the streams. I've never had a problem there, but maybe you had a rookie that wanted to try to flex his authority that day. That streams fun to fly fish if you're into that kind of thing also.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Lol, caught my share of those, no keepers tho. If you ever decide to go down there fishing pm me we'll try to meet up and try to catch some. That pond in the park is good for gills, never have caught a bass there tho. It gets fished pretty hard so I don't even try it anymore

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I caught one while in TN that was like a tree. It fought hard and just refused to move. I eventually just cut the line.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Never heard that before, I checked into laws on streams a while back just to make sure I couldn't trespass while doing so, and the way the law is written it says all Indiana streams and rivers are public and legal to wade, and there's a easement (don't remember how many feet) off both sides of the streams. I've never had a problem there, but maybe you had a rookie that wanted to try to flex his authority that day. That streams fun to fly fish if you're into that kind of thing also.

This is NOT true. The waterway has to listed as "navigable," in order to use it legally. You can also walk along the waterway up to the 100 year flood mark (high water mark) for safety (going around a deep pool, etc.). Here is DNR's page on the law. There is also a list of "navigable" waters.

NRC: Navigable Waterways Roster

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    I stand corrected. But creeks are legal all throughout correct? I've never had a issue wading through one and passing through a public park section of the creek in the process.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I stand corrected. But creeks are legal all throughout correct? I've never had a issue wading through one and passing through a public park section of the creek in the process.

Nope. If the creek isn't listed on that page, you cannot legally wade it. The term "navigable" pretty much means that if it wasn't a major transportation route back in the day, so to speak, it won't be on the list. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's how it comes off in my head.

Top Bottom