fish selections.... 10 gal, going to 55 gal soon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I had a betta fish but it died after getting trapped in the filter intake tube...

I'm working on resolving this, but I need help with fish selection. I may get another betta, but I need a little more active fish exciting to watch, instead of laying around.

I also have one oto catfish...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to keep a large tank of just African Cichlids. They were a lot of enjoyment. They were constantly moving around, sparring with each other, coming to me when I approached the tank to feed them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Angels were always my favorites. Fish are like people...kinda...I've had some that would mind their own business and get along with anything. I've had others of the same breeds that would antagonize anything else in the tank.

When you think of oscars, think eventually, a fish the size of a small bass in your aquarium.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Not crazy about angel fish....I would like to stock a variety, but I really don't want smaller fishes like tetras...the cichlids looks cool.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oscars seem to have a personality. A friend of mine could feed his goldfish out of his fingers, and he could rub it's head at the surface of the water. I had a Pirana. Got it when it was the size of a Nickle, and got rid of it when it was the size of a large Blue Gill. When I gave him to my neighbor, he was eating about 2 dozen goldfish a week.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Not crazy about angel fish....I would like to stock a variety, but I really don't want smaller fishes like tetras...the cichlids looks cool.

For something bigger, active, and with nice color African cichlids are hard to beat. For a 55g you could swing 6-8 of the smaller (4-5") variety. It's best to get them all at once, and all the same size, otherwise you'll run into territory issues when adding new ones later on. Make sure you have PLENTY of cover (rocks, driftwood, etc) so that each fish can have it's own spot. Resist the urge (if you have it) to give them feeder fish, they don't need them and you risk introducing disease into the tank. If you must, stick with guppies or rosy reds, no goldfish.

If you want larger-ish and fairly peaceful, Gouramis aren't a bad choice. Like any other animal you can get individuals who are more or less aggressive than normal though.

If you are considering Oscars, my advice is only 1 for a 55g. And really the tank is too small for just 1 (consider full grown size of anything you add).

Remember the general rule, 1" of fish per 1g of water, BUT there's a big difference between a 12" Oscar and 12 1" Neon Tetras. Use common sense here. Also, I always like the consider the length/width of the tank as well. I would try not to put anything over 1" fish length per 6" of tank length in a tank (ie, for a 55g, max length of no more than 9").

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    For something bigger, active, and with nice color African cichlids are hard to beat. For a 55g you could swing 6-8 of the smaller (4-5") variety. It's best to get them all at once, and all the same size, otherwise you'll run into territory issues when adding new ones later on. Make sure you have PLENTY of cover (rocks, driftwood, etc) so that each fish can have it's own spot. Resist the urge (if you have it) to give them feeder fish, they don't need them and you risk introducing disease into the tank. If you must, stick with guppies or rosy reds, no goldfish.

If you want larger-ish and fairly peaceful, Gouramis aren't a bad choice. Like any other animal you can get individuals who are more or less aggressive than normal though.

If you are considering Oscars, my advice is only 1 for a 55g. And really the tank is too small for just 1 (consider full grown size of anything you add).

Remember the general rule, 1" of fish per 1g of water, BUT there's a big difference between a 12" Oscar and 12 1" Neon Tetras. Use common sense here. Also, I always like the consider the length/width of the tank as well. I would try not to put anything over 1" fish length per 6" of tank length in a tank (ie, for a 55g, max length of no more than 9").

So max length per fish is 9" recommended?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    So max length per fish is 9" recommended?

I wouldn't put anything bigger than that in a 55 personally, and for me that would be pushing it. You could probably squeeze something bigger in (keeping in mind a 55 is 12" wide, so a 13" fish is going to have problems turning around) but a bigger tank would be best.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    if you like alot of activity go with schools of small fish, like platys or barbs or something...platys are really easy to care for, and may end up breeding in the tank

Top Bottom