• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Saturday, a couple other INGOers :ingo:and I spent an hour or so at Applied Ballistics indoor range, in Lafayette, shooting a variety of handguns.
    After lunch at Arni's, we sent the wives and grandaughter off to shop, while we shot.
    I have been shooting for a couple of years, but never had the opportunity to shoot at an indoor range. Only one, of the three of us, was a regular indoor shooter, but we all agree that this range is a clean, comfortable, safe place to shoot. Being old, I found myself needing more light on my sights, but we all need to practice in medium and low light conditions anyway.
    There are guns and accessories to peruse,buy,or rent, and good folks to talk to. All in all, very pleasant experience. :yesway: Anyone have experience to compare this range to typical indoor facilities? :dunno:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I've shot in 3 indoor ranges. One of which I avoid, One I will never go to again, and one I really like (Bullseye in Kokomo)

Shooting indoors is fun.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I also have only been to one indoor range, Applied Ballistics. I normally just shoot at home (I'm at college) in the backyard because we have that kind of room, but I was pleasantly surprised with Applied Ballistics. It was very clean, well-lit (for young eyes), and the target runners were awesome. I had never used them before so I was like a kid playing with something on Christmas morning.

Now that I think of it, I've shot indoors at the Purdue armory, so I guess I've been to two indoor ranges, but that one was vastly different. Shooting bays don't have physical dividers and targets are hung by hand two times over the course of the shoot. Still fun, but not near as "nice." Sure has a lot more shooting bays though. haha

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I prefer indoor ranges to outdoor ranges. However, there are not that many good quality indoor ranges that I have found so most of the time I just go to an outdoor one. I use to go to Applied Ballistics when I attended Purdue, and they have one of the nicer set ups that I've seen.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Applied is a great facility. The only other indoor range I have been to was Don's in Indy (horrible experience, do not recommend!)

The only bad thing that has happened at Applied was the last time some students a couple lanes down rented an AR...was fine until I looked to my right and saw the barrel of the AR pointed at me while the students took pictures of themselves with their camera phones :xmad: Needless to say I was rather peeved and made it known how I felt. I'm sure Stan would have kicked them out ASAP if he saw it happen.

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    It has been a few years, but Bullseye in Kokomo made for a very pleasant winter-time qualification for us. The staff members were friendly, and the range was top-notch. Mother Nature was whipping up a terrible winter storm outside, so the warmth of the dry indoor range made all the difference.

Having said that, I still much prefer an outdoor range (on a beautiful day). Yesterday (Sunday), mother nature was very kind, and an old friend of mine and I spent a great day at a range up north. GOOD TIMES!

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have been to an indoor range in Georgia and POPs. That's it. How is the ventilation at Applied Ballistics?

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been to an indoor range in Georgia and POPs. That's it. How is the ventilation at Applied Ballistics?

Great! About a million times better than the old Flat Creek Range.

Just wish I had more time and ammo money and I'd be there all the time.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    I can vouch for applied ballistics. When my friends and I have a couple hours free a week we usually head over and shoot .22. On the weekends we head to JP or the other outdoor ranges (though it is getting a little ridiculous in these parts), maybe a few of us lafayette/WL INGO members should meet up and shoot. I'd love to get some friendly competition going >:)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Only indoor range I've shot at is Midwest Gun & Range. I didn't really mind it but it was pretty dark about 1/2 down the lane. I prefer shooting outdoors even if the weather isn't great.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do you remember what they have for rent at Applied? This is the first I've heard of a range that rents guns to try.

Yes, they have a wide variety to choose from.

Several different wheel guns, in everything from .22lr to .44mag.

Also an impressive choice of semi's, again from .22lr up to and including .45acp's.

You can shoot an MP5, an AK47, an M16, and more!

Some names include Colt, S&W, Taurus, Beretta, Ruger, and the list goes on.

Dave and Stan keep expanding their offerings as far as rentals, and their stock of accessories, reloading supplies, and ammunition are growing as well.

Applied Ballistics is also hosting NSSF First Shots program, designed to introduce new shooters to the sport. This is FREE OF CHARGE by the way!

They sponsor shooting leagues, and run different training classes for safety training, women's only self protection courses and more.

They have consignment sales of firearms, in addition to their stock of new stuff.

You can even put some firearms on a lay-away plan.

I could be considered a prejudicial reviewer though. Stan is a personal friend. I helped in the renovations necessary to ready the building for the opening. In return, I am treated like a saint when I enter the door.

Applied Ballistics is but the second indoor range I've ever patronized, but by FAR the nicest.

The staff is friendly and informed.

Applied Ballistics even sponsored a "Zombie Shoot" on Halloween! Zombie targets, under strobe lights, with a fog machine going! Talk about a trip!

All in all, I'd say I'll be a permanent fixture in this establishment as long as they are in business!

+100 for Applied Ballistics! :patriot:

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that in my op, but there wasn't any hint of fouled air. Heck, I couldn't even smell the other INGOers there with me! :D

and they didn't even have defective targets either did they schafe. sorry they didn't have those pre-shot targets like atterbury has, for you to take home. lol
    :):

Top Bottom