• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z350Godfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Southside Indy
    Hey everyone. I've never bee hunting before and have the itch to go out and learn. My cousin would love to come with, but it's been forever since he went. I'm not sure where to go and what to expect.

I know it's a broad subject, but pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

:patriot:

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I would try covering yourself with honey and letting them come to you, much easier then stalking them.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    To go deer hunting, a few key things should happen first.

1. Read the hunting regulations, know them.

2. Take a hunter education/safety course. Dont drop the ball on this,
    especially if you dont have experience and nobody to show you the
    ropes.

3. Find land that you can legally hunt on. Check the Hunting regs for
    public hunting areas if you dont know a landowner willing to let you
    hunt.

4. Read everything you can get your hands on related to deer hunting.

Cant stress safety enough, know your target and whats behind it!

Thats afew ideas to put in your head and get you moving in the right direction. Im sure others will chime in with more info. With only 10 days until firearm opens up, its pretty late in the game to plan a hunt unless you can tag along with somebody who has experience.

Z350Godfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Southside Indy
    Thanks Mrmonte! That's a big help and a great place to start looking. Guess I should have been a bit earlier in deciding this huh? Oh well, at least I can start learning now. Thanks again!

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Do go with an experienced person...........Do not go alone.

There are too many things that can go really bad, really fast and for a new hunter you might not be ready to deal with the issues that might arise.

I might even suggest that for your first season, you hunt with just a camera. I know that sounds lame, but it will give you time to see your intended quarry in their natural surroundings, to learn how they react to sounds, scents, and the like. Also you will become more comfortable with being in their presence.

Remember it is hunting..it is supposed to be FUN...do not expect to "BAG" something your first time out. But always be safe and enjoy.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Honestly, I'd see if someone would take you small game hunting with them for your first time hunting. Rabbits are about to come into season, and hunting them is often fast and fun, without the need to be still and quiet for long periods of time. Plus, rabbits are on the gain side of their seven year population cycle, so there ought to be plenty of them to see this year. Success in hunting is always a great motivator for anyone, but especially a beginner. If you want to make hunting them a little more difficult, use a lever action .22 or .22 pistol instead of a shotgun. Squirrels are in season right now, and they are fun to hunt as well, with a good chance of success also.

I camera hunt deer in the off-season, and it's a great way to learn deer habits, and how to use the wind to approach them for a good picture. And, you learn patience in sitting still for a good closeup! :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks Mrmonte! That's a big help and a great place to start looking. Guess I should have been a bit earlier in deciding this huh? Oh well, at least I can start learning now. Thanks again!

I looked through some of your old posts to see if you've ever hunted at all or what you've been shooting and I see an XD 40, sks, ak, and ar.

Are these all you've got to hunt with?

What do you want to hunt?

A 22 or a shotgun would be handy. You can hunt about ever single legal game animal with a shotgun, but the ones I've read you already own limit you to about coyote, crows, ground hogs, and beaver and such. I don't much care for eating crow and I get more than I care of it with out looking for any.

Z350Godfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Southside Indy
    Well those are the ones I actually own. My cousin has a scoped 12 gauge that he said I could use. I've never hunted with a 12 gauge, well I guess never hunted with anything, but I have shot clay with one before. Different I know, but at least I do know how it feels.

It was a great idea to go "hunting" with a camera first. Even though I am really looking forward to the real thing, it may be more advantageous in the long run to my "field" research.

I'm sure that private property is the best place to go if you have someone who will let you hunt on it, but if you do not, then does anyone have any suggestions on the best place to go aside from private property?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Probably the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the outdoors with your cousin. THAT is what it's all about after all. Hunt, but have fun!

*Not sure if it's been posted haven't read through all of them.*

Top Bottom