• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    The winter of 1961. My dad and I went rabbit hunting for the first time and at the end of the day I got to fire his Mossberg model 190 16 ga. shotgun. I was hooked at the first trigger pull. Dad bought it new in 1954 or 55. It was never put away without a detailed cleaning even if it was never fired. It's how a lot of the WWII guys handled their firearms, and how I learned safety, and care of any firearm. I own that Mossberg now and it's still in pristine condition. It gets cleaned every six months whether it's been fired or not.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Too bad I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I do remember the gun: Ithaca 37 20 gauge
    Dad showed me how to shoot it by the red maple at the fence bordering the cow pasture.
    I couldn't have been over seven years old at the time.
    Later, he showed me how to line up on some nasty starlings sitting in the huge elm at the other side of our driveway and let them have it.
    He still has that Ithaca.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Probably when I was around 8 years old (23 now). It was with my grandpa, at an old post office turned hunting camp in the Adirondack Mountains. I don't know what model the gun was, but it was a scoped, bolt action .22. I don't think it was his gun though, because I seem to remember someone bringing it to him before we left for camping. First non-toy gun I ever touched.

I still have the .22 bullet that my grandpa dug out of the log, we posted the target on, with his jack knife. Also, kept a handful of brass from the session.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    1970 I was 8yrs old shot my grandpas Sears and Roebuck single shot 12ga at a walnut hanging over a fence row... It had a hair trigger and like to broke my shoulder and my dad laughed his ass off when I shot it, I had a bruise for a week... I have never shot that gun sense... Still have it in the safe and will never get rid of it...

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    When I was 17 and living in Detroit. Went to the local gun range with my buddy (who happened to work there) and rented a full auto MP5. I started out strong.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Probably 9-11 or so at church camp in Mississippi. Single shot .22lr.

First time shooting a pistol was around 16 at a family friends house. H&K USP 9mm.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I waited until 5th grade (how old is that?) to shoot a handgun. .32 H&R.

That's weird...First gun I ever shot was an H&R 32 revolver...(Fifth grade no less!) Dad had a Smith 28 and the H&R. The H&R 32 was his "Kit gun"...We were on our way fishing up to Deam's Lake and stopped at a friend of his farm and put a cylinder through...I still have the brass cases taped on the little card I made up for it...

The model 28 was his "Sunday go to meeting gun" and it was another couple of years before I got to shoot it....

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I was probably around 6, first time dove hunting with my dad and uncle in Texas. Gave me a single shot .410 to shoot the birds that landed in the trees. Also shot my uncle's 12 Ga. over/under that same day, with him bracing me and helping me hold the gun as it was a little heavy for my scrawny butt.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Late 80's or early 90's. My grandpa's Remington 22 bolt action. He got it in 1922 when he was 12. I would have been 8-10 years old.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't remember exactly how old I was when I started with bb/pellet guns, but still in grade school. Around 10 years old, one of Dad's friends gave me a Mossberg .410 bolt action that I took squirrel hunting for my first time. I still remember hesitating to pull the trigger, thinking it was a trap and that I was going to get in trouble for shooting that squirrel. :):

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    2012 aged 29. First gun I ever fired was a Springfield XD-9, followed very swiftly by a P90 :D

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I too was likely around 6 years of age. The rifle was a Stevens bolt action single shot .22 cal. I don't remember my first target. It was likely a fence post. That'll be sixty years ago this Summer.

Top Bottom